Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Firearms that go uncleaned....permanently.

Firearms that go uncleaned....permanently.

I clean my firearms.

Not as much as I used to, mainly for lack of use, but also because I discovered: Clean your barrel, bust the zero, need to re zero.

But just occasionally I hear of some boomstick that never is cleaned, and still mostly works.

I know a guy here in Southland who owns an ex rabbit board Browning A5 shottie that he has never to my knowledge (as of about 2009, haven't seen him awhile )cleaned.

He said he's accidentally left it out in the rain a few times as well, (Tsk tsk tsk,)and it mostly seems to go bang.

I'm impressed at the quality of design and manufacture that allows a firearm to keep on going despite never having been near CRC, WD40, or an oily rag.

Any other candidates?
    Last edited by Max Headroom; 12-08-2020 at 03:24 PM.
    Cordite likes this.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

Growing up I never saw my Dad clean his 22, the Sako centrefires always got cleaned though. Funnily enough I never clean my 22 now either but all my other firearms get well looked after.
    40mm likes this.

A top candidate for a gun that can go forever without being cleaned, imo would be a Benelli inertia shotgun. m2 for example.

In regards to rifle barrels. A person should not need to re-zero after cleaning. Its normal for it to take a shot or two to return to proper POI after cleaning, but it should not need to be re zeroed.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
    A top candidate for a gun that can go forever without being cleaned, imo would be a Benelli inertia shotgun. m2 for example.

In regards to rifle barrels. A person should not need to re-zero after cleaning. Its normal for it to take a shot or two to return to proper POI after cleaning, but it should not need to be re zeroed.
    I'm with you on this one re the Benelli. I have one but I always clean it at the end of the season and if it gets wet but my brother and the way he treats his Super Black Eagle has always appalled me but man does it just keep on going. I couldnt believe what he put it through and the state I used to see it in. But it just keeps on bangin em down.
    Cordite and dannyb like this.

My sauer likes it clean... groups open up after roughly 20 rounds. Sako 75 loves it dirty. I clean that about every 100ish

I don't bother cleaning my rifles much at all now. Go hundred maybe hundreds of shots before cleaning. Used to clean them all the time.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    I am a clean it every time I use it freak with all of my firearms.
    Lentil, john m, Mooseman and 2 others like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Always clean after each outing, just a habit I got into. It is safe to leave them uncleaned for a while so long as there isn't to much moisture about or if they get a soaking. To much money tied up to let them get neglected.
    zimmer and MB like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    I would never. Ever. Everevereverever put CRC or WD40 near a gun.
    Oops, sorry your Honour /your Lordship/Your Grace/ Ma'am / (substitute as appropriate).

I won't mention that again.
    Cordite likes this.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

57JL
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    I am a clean it every time I use it freak with all of my firearms.
    same

I would never. Ever. Everevereverever put CRC or WD40 near a gun.

Personally, I strip and clean on an "as i feel like it" basis. Probably more than strictly required. It's my zen. (So is shooting... makes a rather circular occupation)
    Everything is always accurate enough for the job I need it to do, there's no point in having/keeping tools that don't work.
    That said, I don't abuse guns (except rugers, because they deserve it, and you can't really make one worse) So leaving it in the rain is a no-no. But I'm not precious about them either, so they will do duty as biv pole, club, walking stick, blackberry-flattener etc.

Gun I've seen take the most shit and keep going? (Asides the venerable AK47; glocks; beretta m92 and uhg... hi-point) Stirling P20.
    we used to keep can of WD40 in wagon for the times rifles got soaked while we were out...or got back late n dirty...squirt down barrel and left muzzle down stops corrosion...quick whipe down with squirt on rag helped the outside.

my .22lr never gets a barrel clean but gets oily rag over outside surfaces.

I think I'll go with lordship. But hey, you do you.

Both of those products are... shit. For most things.
    CRC66 sees limited use around my place (not on guns). 556, WD40...just no.
    Do you examples/reasoning so that we may understand why..? I use firearm specific products myself...even they get cleaned....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SDS for WD 40
    Looks to be pretty petroleum based to me.......
    I always likened it to kerosene in a spray can

Name:  SDS WD40.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  1.05 MB

556 or wd40 is great for cleaning, oiling not so much.
    Cordite likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
    I clean my firearms.

Not as much as I used to, mainly for lack of use, but also because I discovered: Clean your barrel, bust the zero, need to re zero.

But just occasionally I hear of some boomstick that never is cleaned, and still mostly works.

I know a guy here in Southland who owns an ex rabbit board Browning A5 shottie that he has never to my knowledge (as of about 2009, haven't seen him awhile )cleaned.

He said he's accidentally left it out in the rain a few times as well, (Tsk tsk tsk,)and it mostly seems to go bang.

I'm impressed at the quality of design and manufacture that allows a firearm to keep on going despite never having been near CRC, WD40, or an oily rag.

Any other candidates?
    I don't know how it isnt a big pile of rust on the ground.
    My old A5 would show rust if you turned around