Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: First gun

First gun

Hi
    I'm just getting into hunting. I'm after a first proper gun (deer, pigs) that will hopefully last me a good wee while. I'm not fussy about calibre at this point just want something that will knock deer and pigs over in the bush easily... I'm also a student so am on a pretty tight budget (as far under $1000 as possible), and am not fussy about being cool.. I just want something simple that does the job. I've got a couple of questions:
    -- Would you buy off trademe? The firearms people tend to advise against it but it seems like it shouldn't be more of a risk than buying anything off trademe.
    -- is an old 303 worth it? Or would you recommend just sending a little bit more and getting a newer gun?

Please feel free to push me in the right direction!

Cheers

Here's some guns from the watch list, let me know what you think if you can be bothered:
    Remington 308 model 700 | Trade Me
    Savage Axis .308 | Trade Me
    Parker Hale 270 - 4x40 Tasco Scope | Trade Me
    Zastava .308 model M70 (Serbian made) | Trade Me
    bsa monarch 270 | Trade Me
    Zavastra M70 Bolt Action 308 - Synthetic Stock | Trade Me
    chindit likes this.

Remington 308
    Carpe Diem likes this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Caretaker
    Anything over $600 in 308
    norsk likes this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Anything over $600 in 308
    What 7mmsaum said: you mention bush hunting - a 308 will do this and more admirably. As a student, it will also be cheap to run and give you plenty of options for reloading in the future. A Remy 700 will also give you plenty of options for upgrades in the future if that is your buzz. Get it suppressed and you may never consider another rifle... just saying...

sounds like i should try for that remmington then.. I don't really want to have to get a new gun in a few years so it sounds like a good option.
    Is surpressing really worth it? I figure earplugs are cheaper!?

if you want cheap and 100 meters for deer and pigs an sks would be ok. cheap gun and cheap ammo
    AzumitH likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by huglife View Post
    sounds like i should try for that remmington then.. I don't really want to have to get a new gun in a few years so it sounds like a good option.
    Is surpressing really worth it? I figure earplugs are cheaper!?
    often dont have time to get them in, if you hunt with others they will thank you and if a dog is in the group... i am yet to see someone try and get earplugs in a dog!
    mikee likes this.

true true good advice... I do plan on hunting with a dog eventually (old mate died, new mate is forbidden by the landlord). I was thinking I'll get a sausage dog as a deer tracker haha because while I'm at uni it'll be easier than a heading dog!

problem with a sausage dog is they are so low to the ground theres no way you could get through the small holes in the scrub they could lol

Suppressing removes felt recoil, noise, and helps the ears of you, others around you, and dogs ( if hunting with them) - once you have gone suppressed (particularly when bush hunting) you won't go back...

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    problem with a sausage dog is they are so low to the ground theres no way you could get through the small holes in the scrub they could lol

id probably have to get another dog just to show me where my sausage dog is it would be so stealth
    Gibo and Fawls like this.

Sausage dog!! Funny carnt

Where are you based?

based a bit all over the show.. I'm in Palmy North right now for uni but my girlfriends on a deer farm near Raglan where I spend most of my time and then I'm from the Coromandel so I'l be hunting all over the show I guess
    Gibo likes this.

northdude
    Cheapest half decent gun that will do everything you want with no fuss and defiantly no fashion piece would be a sported m96 I started out with one over 20 years ago and still have it

Fulla
    You could use electronic ear muffs and hear better than normal and protect your ears.