Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree133Likes

Thread: First rifle

Question First rifle

In the market for a new rifle. I'm sure this question has been asked a 1000times before me. I'm from Rotorua will most likely hunt locally or anywhere within a hour and a half radius. Looking for deer or pigs or if it's edible ill try it.
    I'm not new to shooting. The only advice I've received is 7mm 08 or 308. So the questions are what would be a good all round calibre?. Whats a good brand?. And one for local people a good shop to buy from.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Welcome in mate, I love these threads.
    Tommy likes this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Yeh mate I'm ready for a world of knowledge
    Sideshow likes this.

Easy as .308 with a suppressor

I'm a tell you a story about the mighty 270..
    Name:  images.jpeg
Views: 616
Size:  32.7 KB
    Savage1, Gibo, sometimes and 8 others like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    I'm a tell you a story about the mighty 270..
    Attachment 86770
    Oh good. I'm always up for a funny story.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Main thing would be to find a rifle you like, that feels good, that fits you, that's in your budget and buy it. Either of the calibres mentioned are good, you might notice the odd bit of good hearted ribbing around here on calibre. I'd recommend the suppressor as Greg suggested too.
    timattalon likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Oh good. I'm always up for a funny story.
    Have you shot a big game animal with a 270 (or other calibre) before?
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Yep 308 would be a good start. Heaps of different factory ammo. Howa or Tikka would be a good starting brand, not too expensive but still good quality.
    timattalon likes this.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one! Having actually hunted around the Rotorua area, a 243 with 100grn sp's will do just about everything barring big sambar. Light recoil with supressor, plenty of ammo in most sporting shops. Rabbits to reds with everything in between.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Have you shot a big game animal with a 270 (or other calibre) before?
    Not yet. Looking at getting out when I can walk more than a couple of hundred metres.
    jakewire likes this.

everyone is going to get you to buy what they want to buy. go find something that fits you and your budget in the local shops, shop around for a better price then go for it. either caliber you are looking at is fine.

my honest advice for a nice simple beginners rifle that wont be a sack of shit is get a howa, good price, good accuracy and good quality control.

My opinion is rifle is more important than the caliber so find a rifle or rifles that suits you first IE fit and feel etc. If you are buying new then you can choose any cartridge available. If you buy 2nd hand find the rifle you like and buy the first one that's a good deal and the cartridge has easy to find off the shelf ammo. Most centerfire rifle cartridges NZ animals within 300m wont be able to tell you the difference with a well placed shot. I have short little arms so most factory stocks have too long Length of Pull to feel nice when shooting, I have to cut 1/2 or so off to make them fit me well.
    243 is the minimum i would want but slightly larger would be better. 6.5cm ammo is getting cheaper 260 rem has expensive factory ammo so stay away from that, 7mm08 or 308 is fantastic 270 and 30-06 is about the maximum i would go with.

As said. Howa 1500, Tikka are good. Older model Brno, Parker hales and CZ are all fantastic rifles as well.
    gadgetman and Bagheera like this.

try a few for fit... i spent ages looking for a shotgun that fitted, once i found it i was shooting better, and happy!

for me the decider was the length from the action to the end of the stock (whatever that is called)

anyway have fun looking...

Vod

Tikkas, Howa, even the Rem 700 and model 7 are good but as said find one you like and fits you well. Caliber , well the skies the limit, I have various ones and they all work, but anything like the 308,7mm 08 or 260 Rem are good. If you don't mind a bit more recoil 3006, 270, 7mm Mag or even the 300 Win Mag are good choices. You will also need to consider where you hunt, bush or open? as the caliber choice should then be more suited to the environment. eg 300 Win Mag for longer range compared to a 308 for bush hunting.
    If you are over Tauranga way Visit Stacy at Hamills he will help you out.