Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Fitting Mtn Gear Bipod Picatinny Rail - Must Use Gunsmith?

Fitting Mtn Gear Bipod Picatinny Rail - Must Use Gunsmith?

I'm look at getting one of these and a couple rails to mount it. Its $625 for the mountain bipod, $140 for 2 rails, and $20 for mounting screws.

On top of this the website says gotta have the rail mounted by a Gunsmith. That ain't going to be cheap. This and the sight of Phillips head screws are 2 big black marks for me on this one.

Has anyone fitted the rail themselves or is it a gunsmith job?

im sure if you have some practical smarts you will be able to mount it. Id d.i.y it myself.

no harder than fitting a javelin flush cup, I've done plenty of those. If I can do it anyone can
    happy to help ya out if you want
    #DANNYCENT

625 plus 140 plus 20 =$785 hells bells you can buy a new rifle for that,you can certainly buy a LOT of 2nd hand rifle for that..... and then gunsmithing on top??? do these people not want to sell any??? or is a snob label type deal???
    caberslash likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Tikka7mm08 View Post
    I'm look at getting one of these and a couple rails to mount it. Its $625 for the mountain bipod, $140 for 2 rails, and $20 for mounting screws.

On top of this the website says gotta have the rail mounted by a Gunsmith. That ain't going to be cheap. This and the sight of Phillips head screws are 2 big black marks for me on this one.

Get in touch with Matt he's a GC and has other screw head options I believe as I brought that up with him. Was partially due to availability of head types in titanium. I mounted my own and he knows that and doesnt care. They are simple enough to mount i think its more so he doesnt get it shot of some muppet destroys there carbon stock trying to install a rail. If you want to play with the one I have flick me a pm. Cheers,
    Cam
    hotsoup likes this.

What's it being fitted to ?

Does it need a flat milled on a carbon stock to fit on etc

Looks like child's play really
    The gunsmith thing is just a bit of a disclaimer
    hotsoup and Stocky like this.

Their easy mate 5 mins from unboxing to rifle put back together the screws come with the mounts don’t they? Their a tidy hex stainless
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    shift14, 25/08IMP, hotsoup and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikka7mm08 View Post

Get in touch with Matt he's a GC and has other screw head options I believe as I brought that up with him. Was partially due to availability of head types in titanium. I mounted my own and he knows that and doesnt care. They are simple enough to mount i think its more so he doesnt get it shot of some muppet destroys there carbon stock trying to install a rail. If you want to play with the one I have flick me a pm. Cheers,
    Cam
    Tikka7mm08 likes this.

@Tikka7mm08 it looks like something you should come and visit me with and we can mill a flat and fit together in my humble machine shop

I know I've been supposed to visit you for months now !
    But life gets in the way of things you would rather do !
    Tikka7mm08, Micky Duck and hotsoup like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    625 plus 140 plus 20 =$785 hells bells you can buy a new rifle for that,you can certainly buy a LOT of 2nd hand rifle for that..... and then gunsmithing on top??? do these people not want to sell any??? or is a snob label type deal???
    Hardly fair comments mate. its rails for 2 rifles. Screws are titanium and your buying 2 sets so $70 a rifle. You could just as easily save a few dollars and sort you own stuff but unless going Chinese your still into it likely $50 using aluminium or more likely steel. The bipods a uktralight premium item machined from expensive titanium and carbon bits. They have been selling plenty it's a savings of 300 od grams vs a harris which is pretty much up there with weight saved with a carbon stock but is cheaper by around $500 minimum but carbon stocks are a norm here. The gunsmithing is just a comment saying someone competent should install the rail so people don't damage there stocks which in a huge amount of cases are likely expensive carbon jobbies.
    hotsoup likes this.

To clarify when I mentioned milling that's to profile the base to for the stock

yes they look nice...and they look light.... your money=your choice.
    Im just a cheap wad.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Great fella to talk to...all Allen heads now. Ordered.

You won't be disappointed. Pic rail the way to go
    Tikka7mm08 and 25/08IMP like this.

hotsoup likes this.