Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree22Likes
  • 6 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Sideshow
  • 6 Post By yeah_na_missed
  • 2 Post By Sideshow
  • 2 Post By Tasbay
  • 2 Post By Woz
  • 2 Post By Aaron.S
  • 1 Post By Floundering Around

Thread: Franchi Horizon... any good?

Franchi Horizon... any good?

Evening all,

Im just about to buy my first rifle
    Ive decided on the .308 just for ease of ammo and the stopping power it possesses.

Does anyone have experience with the Franchi Horizon elite?
    from my handling of it in stores it had ticked all the boxes in regards to what im after but have not had the chance to pull the trigger on one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

no idea...but will tell you this....there is an abundance of very good firearms put up for sale 2nd hand on here......will be half the price or there abouts of a new flash one and will do the same job.
    first rifle,buy something you can use and will not cry if has a bit of abuse.....you wont loose money on it when comes time to move to a flasher one,or keep it as a spare/loaner/wet day rifle
    have a look in the for sale section and you will see,what I mean... also the thread rifle for young fella,there was at least 5 rifles offered at VERY good low prices...by all means spend some coin on a good( leupold for me)scope it will last you a lifetime of shooting,and a good pair of binos to find game.
    as 90% of game is shot sub 200 yards........... you dont need the newest or flashest gear to fill the freezer.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

See hes after a 308. Good all round cal.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

After just buying a brand spanking new rifle, I would strongly endorse Micky Duck's sage advice. We'll come to why in the near future, but needless to say, that I prob wouldn't do it again given the opportunity.

There's a cracking .270 popped up for sale on here a day or two ago that would be well worth a look... I'm slightly biased, but despite what people will tell you, the mighty .270 isn't wildly different to .308, and also not too hard to find food for.
    bunji likes this.

Lol and it’s started
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Ha ha! Just wait until someone recommends a .223...
    bunji likes this.

https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....n-270-a-83600/ (better get in quick by the looks...)
    bunji likes this.

MikeyB: I have a Franchi Horizon in .308 Haven`t shot it much as haven`t had it long . Picked it up second hand with supposedly only 40 rounds shot through it. It`s lite , has a good trigger and is accurate. For the $1100 retail new I`d say its a good buy and probably better than the equal priced Ruger Americans. It came with a scope and it was the scope I was after so the rifle was a bonus.
    Micky Duck and yeah_na_missed like this.

I won one in 3006 took it out sighted it in fired a box through it at some rabbits shot well was a tack driver bolt had a bit much slop for my liking awesome half cock sold it to a mate for 700 after that, for the money I recommend buying a tikka I have a few mates that have put redfeild or vx2's on them and sighted them in then used them for years no issues nice and simple. Reliability is your best friend when your learning, any medium caliber is great and 308 fits that ticket perfect

Woz
    MikeyB,

Probably a bit late on the reply (new member) as a year has passed and by now I'm sure you've sorted a rifle and are using it; however, to answer the question, I own a Franchi Horizon in .308 and have used it getting onto 3yrs now.

It's a great piece of kit. Light, rugged, accurate. I opted for the internal mag and threw on a cheek-sleeve to put me up behind my scope better (she's bit of a monster and on reflection, overcooked). I've never had any issues with it and picked it up for just under NZ$800 if memory serves me right.

I'm mainly in the Kaimai-Mamaku ranges so that's a lot of up-and-down with thick bush: the 20" barrel is all good and you don't have to be all precious about it. They'll take a bit of beating and still shoot well. Can't go wrong.
    Northlander and Aaron.S like this.

Looking at picking one up in the next few weeks depending how the google research goes. Have u had any dramas with it so far since this was posted 6 ish months ago?

Keep getting pushed by other guys to go tikka t3x but cant justify spending at lease an other 500 for a starter bit of kit that gonna get abused.
    Carbine and Marty Henry like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    no idea...but will tell you this....there is an abundance of very good firearms put up for sale 2nd hand on here......will be half the price or there abouts of a new flash one and will do the same job.
    first rifle,buy something you can use and will not cry if has a bit of abuse.....you wont loose money on it when comes time to move to a flasher one,or keep it as a spare/loaner/wet day rifle
    have a look in the for sale section and you will see,what I mean... also the thread rifle for young fella,there was at least 5 rifles offered at VERY good low prices...by all means spend some coin on a good( leupold for me)scope it will last you a lifetime of shooting,and a good pair of binos to find game.
    as 90% of game is shot sub 200 yards........... you dont need the newest or flashest gear to fill the freezer.
    This is so true. Have brought all my hunting firearms secondhand. Got a left hand Tikka M695, scoped, with optilocks and a spare mag in .270win for just $1000 in 2018. Got a left hand Remington 870 for $350 with chokes and a carry bag in 2019. Also brought a Tikka 7mm Rem Mag last year for $1000. All in great condition and shoot bloody well (7mm rem mag just needed a good clean upon receiving it). Realistically, if I had brought these new I would have payed easily 60% more than I did, and would have had way less enjoyment as I wouldn't have had as much money to put towards hunting gears and those other firearms later down the track. Would I like a new rifle? Most definitely, but as a young fella starting out it wasn't the most cost effective option. Do your research and make sure you know any issues to look for etc. No warranty with second hand unless the bloke is a good bugger. Seems to be less of them around these days.
    Aaron.S likes this.

My one has been awesome, put a fair few rounds down the tube and has had a few good knocks while out in the bush. Only fault i have found is the bolt is a bit sloppy. Has been zero issue but the only flaw i could find.
    Great for shoot lefties too with the near ambidextrous stock sinilar feel to that of a franchi shotty