Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree28Likes
  • 14 Post By grandpamac
  • 1 Post By Gibo
  • 2 Post By grandpamac
  • 8 Post By grandpamac
  • 2 Post By Barry the hunter
  • 1 Post By grandpamac

Thread: A Free .303

A Free .303

Greetings All,
    Today was a crappy day here in HB, a good day to potter about in the shed. As previously reported I was given an old No1 Lee Enfield a few weeks back. As you can see it's a bit rough but the inside of the barrel gleams like new. After a post on the Forum @JohnDuxbury sent me a Parker Hale base which I have fitted.. The base dovetails were an early narrow type which did not fit any of the rings I had so a Weaver base my son gave me was fitted on top. The scope is an old Japanese made Tasco 2.5 power that has been sitting in the cupboard for ages fitted in rings that were given to me earlier in the year. There are suitable loads in the ammo cupboard (from a rifle I gave away) so as soon as the weather clears some loud noises will be made. I still have to fit some QD sling bases but then the almost 80 year old rifle will be ready for a ritual walk in the hills, some of the flatter stuff mind.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Name:  20220809_140409 (2).jpg
Views: 312
Size:  1.18 MB
    Tertle, Bill999, Mooseman and 11 others like this.

Great to see you are still practising your skills and going walkabout. As we all get older, it’s important to keep at it.

You might need a check riser!

Quote Originally Posted by nor-west View Post
    You might need a check riser!
    Pillow aught to do it
    nor-west likes this.

Nah, chin on the butt and well canted head

Greetings @nor-west and @Gibo,
    The rings are medium Weaver and I will have a hunt for some low ones. The scope needs to be mounted high to clear the bolt but not that high. Still I have a face that is pretty accomodating for low combs especially if I have not been to the barber for a bit. It is still fine for a ritual hunt.
    Regard Grandpamac.
    Gibo and Micky Duck like this.

Was just a dig mate, no foul intended, looks great

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Was just a dig mate, no foul intended, looks great
    No offence taken. I rather delight in older rifles with character and with history. John Duxbury shared with me that the base had been on a cullers rifle used around 1963 the same year as my first exposure to hunting and for which I was hoping to do a ritual 60th annerversary trip next March. I guess this is the rifle I need to take. For me ritual trips are walks in the bush, often taking an interesting old rifle, with no expectation of shooting anything but just because I still can.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    nor-west, john m, Gibo and 5 others like this.

many (many ) years ago as a young fellow in Gisborne we had a dear old chap in our rifle club who was an ex army Captain - he had got his mits on a lot of ex army 303 - for $60 he would sell one a brand new 303 he had neatly cut down and zeroed ( with test shots ) . He must have started many a young hunter into hunting cheaply
    Bagheera and 6x47 like this.

@grandpamac might have a low set I'd swap for your medium set if what I have here doesnt work for my current project

Thanks @csmiffy,
    I measured the rings that I used and they are high rings so will have a look for some low ones locally. I thought I could swap with the ones on a.22 but those are high rings as well.
    Grandpamac.
    csmiffy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Thanks @csmiffy,
    I measured the rings that I used and they are high rings so will have a look for some low ones locally. I thought I could swap with the ones on a.22 but those are high rings as well.
    Grandpamac.
    All good. Pinched the rings I though might work of the P14 model E and they work on the new project anyway.
    Which means the low set might just work on that one too