Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Fully bedding a barrel?

Has anyone ever done this, i am tempted to do it on a ruger 10\22 i have in the cupboard.

Thoughts

LJP
    Probably ok on a rimfire where the barrel never really gets any heat it - centerfire rifle would be another story.

I haven't seen it done myself but there are those who say that when done properly it can help to dampen barrel vibration and imprve the accuracy of a wider range of loads than action bedding and free-floating. I find load development kind of fun myself so I haven't explored the possibility of bbl bedding but it seems to me that it would just create more opportunity for the barrel to be stressed and act erratically.

A few guys I know have done that to their 10/22's and reckon it's good. Because they have a soft aluminium action, free floating them isn't the most awesome idea in the world (apparently).

My 10/22 certainly couldn't shoot any worse... so maybe I should be looking into it too

with a 10/22 a lot of people when they have a bull barrel bed the barrel fully and float the action - stops the stress on the alloy receiever.
    Ive never bothered - i normally bed the first inch of the barrel and float the rest, but it does depend on the stock , i.e. plastic or laminated etc

Yep, bedded a couple barrels on 10.22s the houge stocked ones need a bit of help as the stock is super flexy and causes grief especially if you want to shoot with a bipod.
    I milled out the cross bracing and bedded a couple of steel rods into the stock at the same time as I bedded the barrel. Worked realy well.
    greg