Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree13Likes
  • 4 Post By imaca
  • 1 Post By 40mm
  • 1 Post By MB
  • 1 Post By Dan.22-250
  • 5 Post By jakewire
  • 1 Post By timattalon

Thread: Fun looking air rifle

MB

Fun looking air rifle

Looking for a low power air rifle for my young son to get started shooting. Came across the Umarex Ruger 10/22. It's semi-auto and looks like a fun plinker! Seem to get about 50 shots out one CO2 cartridge. Any experience or thoughts? Also, what are the rules for non-FAL airgun storage. I've looked, but can't find anything.

Just get a springer. You are setting yourself (or your son) up for the hassle and cost of replacing co2 cartridges all the time.
    I've still got and use my BSA meteor that I was given 43 years ago
    veitnamcam, Mooseman, 40mm and 1 others like this.

Yup, and he will learn to be a better shot with asingle shot.
    Save the semi for when he has mastered the single shot
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Use enough gun

MB
    Yeah, if I'm honest, I'd like it for plinking
    jakewire likes this.

That particular one I have no experience of so can't say much about it.

I do have an aircheif CO2 repeater, this is an awesome fun little rifle. I rate it highly if you're after something for serious training/practice. It's a bolt action and magazine feed and has a manual safety (pretty uncommon for modern air rifles). There about $450 worth though and you have the ongoing CO2 cost so if it's just a fun plinker you're after a break barrel will probably be better.
    MB likes this.

MB
    Did see those Airchief rifles online. I'll take another look. Re: CO2 cartridges, even small bulk buys reduce cost to $1.75 per cartridge and you can get 50 shots out of them. Pellets are cheap, so it's still pretty cheap shooting.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Yeah, if I'm honest, I'd like it for plinking
    Mate I know what your saying
    Story
    Some years ago wife had never had a licence so in her 40s she learnt to drive and I bought her a car
    Yip a Mitzi V 3000 with only 32km on it.
    First car she ever owned
    Front wheel drive 3 litre
    A gravel road, three [or four] posts, 30m of fencing and an all-nighter later as there were horses in the paddock .
    I admitted [to myself only] that I'd bought a second car for myself not a car for her.

Learn from me, buy the young fellow what he needs, not what you'd like.
    It's cheaper.
    Last edited by jakewire; 27-05-2022 at 10:14 PM.
    Brakelie, timattalon, MB and 2 others like this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Did see those Airchief rifles online. I'll take another look. Re: CO2 cartridges, even small bulk buys reduce cost to $1.75 per cartridge and you can get 50 shots out of them. Pellets are cheap, so it's still pretty cheap shooting.
    I hve a QB79 - its a bolt action single shot CO2 rifle that gets about 600fps. And we get about 30 shots per cannister, no where near 50. If they are stating 50, it is either using less gas each shot (way slower) or it is telling porkies.....

The great thing about the QB79 is you can fit a paint ball cannister underneath for around 500 shots per fill. It looks like a grenade launcher under an old 22 so a bit silly, but it works. You can also use them with a remote tank on a hose same as a paintball gun, which means when you store it you can lock the propellant and the air rifle away separately.

Not sure how easy it will be to find one- probably about $300 but I have not seen one in ages...
    MB likes this.
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......