Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: future of 7.62x39?

future of 7.62x39?

Had a conversation with a guy who believes the days of cheap 7.62x39 is coming to an end. Russian stuff not imported anymore, and with no more semi autos the demand for cheap stuff is slow enough to discourage importers. He thinks the quality hunting rounds will always be available, but at the quality cost. Does anyone know anything about this? I had been thinking about another 7.62x39 but maybe a .223 might be better... Thoughts?

IMO it is a dead cartridge in this country

There will be enough surplus still in circulation to last years...
    Warm Barrels!

Ive owned one and loved it......I also own a 223 and love that. they are similar but diferent.
    both are arguably a 150 yard deer cartridge...but IF it was a big stag the x39 would give me more assurance with a 150grn load. for close range bush work the x39 was AWESOME. short light,easy to carry with enough power to bowl over deer,it worked great on wallabies and Im positive it would do so on goats. the norinco bolt was a little agricultural but if treated right and not babied it never EVER gave issues
    the .223 is more precise,far more accurate so neat for sniping rabbits n hares
    Ive shot a few deer with it now and fairly confident BUT thats a stationary non stressed animal and precise shot placement with good loads
    varmit type loads are a little safer and being 50 grn Vs 132grn SHOULD stop a bit quicker
    the SST hornady bulk pack ammo in x39 is great...the 55grn hornady bulk pack ammo in .223 is great...BOTH will continue to be made and I cant see it not being imported.

the x39 is so simple to reload its not funny.....you COULD fill case to base of neck with 2206 and call it good...there isnt enough case capacity to get into trouble,trailboss loads are a heck of alot of fun to use and have thier place on game.

I onsold my x39 to a good home as the .308 I sort of inherited did what it used to do and had longer legs.....one day I wouldve seen a deer from my lookout spot and the 250-300 yards wouldve just been too far for the wee gun....

the x39 never let me down....
    for goats either would be great,the .223 might argueably be better out further BUT if you shooting multiple targets in a hurry,the extra ooomph of the x39mm could be more humaine as a little more room for error.
    Scouser, bumblefoot, viper and 3 others like this.

I'd say its here to stay, its a pretty useful round for pest control (goats etc), and Belmont etc are likely to pick up the slack (same as they do 223).

The more likely round to fade out is 300 BLK IMO . . . .
    300CALMAN, Steve123, viper and 2 others like this.

Find a load that suits your needs and invest in as much of it as you can afford - ammo (of any sort) will never be cheaper than it currently is.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    IMO it is a dead cartridge in this country
    Wow, that’s a bold call!
    veitnamcam likes this.

I have used one a lot in a bolt and shot a lot of big game with it. Hundreds. It is a cracking wee calibre. It dumps large animals way better than the 223 which I also really like. On big deer and pigs at longer range they will sometimes run dead 50m and pile up. Reliably. No issues. It can be built in to a very light little rifle. I have consistently killed animals out to 200m with it. The Hornady 123gn SST is a winner as are several other factory offerings. Some 150gns are really good too. It is just like any other factory load really and you wont need a ton to use in a bolt action. No one seems to have the same worries about cost of ammo in their 6.5 Needmore etc. Stick with it I say. Dont ask me why but I know a number of people who have tried the Blackout with supers and went to the x39 and swear it is way better. It is here to stay and one of the best short rounds for hunting.

I suspect 6.5 Grendel is going to continue growing in popularity and eat into whatever share x39 has left. Far better ballistics in an identically sized package, and many many more options for the reloader.
    jakewire, Mathias and Chur Bay like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    I'd say its here to stay, its a pretty useful round for pest control (goats etc), and Belmont etc are likely to pick up the slack (same as they do 223).

The more likely round to fade out is 300 BLK IMO . . . .
    dont be like that mate, iv finally got one after saying i didnt need one for years

Quote Originally Posted by Finnwolf View Post
    Wow, that’s a bold call!
    The appeal of the cartridge was buying large amounts of steel case ammo and smashing it through combloc semi auto rifles. If you were going to bother handloading, why wouldn't you go Grendel and shoot the same weight projectiles with a much higher BC?

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    The appeal of the cartridge was buying large amounts of steel case ammo and smashing it through combloc semi auto rifles. If you were going to bother handloading, why wouldn't you go Grendel and shoot the same weight projectiles with a much higher BC?
    The rifles are modest in cost (cheap?) and if you have been left with a bunch of x39 ammo why not pull the projectiles and replace them with soft points, modest cost (cheap?) ammo.
    Good for most bush hunting.
    My 2 cents worth
    timattalon and Micky Duck like this.

I have been shooting a bolt action 7.62x39 for about six years now and have moved to only shooting hand loads. They are more accurate save you a bit of coin. I have also worked up loads for several other people's rifles, always with success with finding really accurate loads. Hornady SST 123gr or Speer Gold Dot with Hodgdon CFE BLK powder have given outstanding results on paper and animals. Lately been playing with Belmont Action Rifle powder and finding that is a winner too.

I certainly don't see 7.62x39 going away anytime soon even if the cheap surplus ammo does. Given the way ammo prices are constantly rising if you're not a hand loader you should become one.

hthomas: could you give some details about your progress with with Belmont Action Rifle powder and 7.62x39 please?
    300CALMAN likes this.

lil gun........