Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: geting rid if any remaining solvent after cleaning

geting rid if any remaining solvent after cleaning

dose anyone run a patch of say meths through the barrel after cleaning to get rif of any solvent traces left over?
    dogmatix likes this.

yep meths is good for clearing out sweets etc.
    greg

Are u talking about during the cleaning process or b4 firing?
    Depends upon which solvent - despite what the manufacturers may say about their products being safe I don't like leaving any trace of them behind the exception being good old Hoppes 9.
    I use meths or Brakleen during cleaning to neutralise and remove any trace of solvent and the same 2 again to remove oil before firing.
    Last edited by zimmer; 20-05-2015 at 09:56 AM.

Just a couple of tight dry patches then a wet with clp or hoppes and into the safe
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Ejected
    Cleaning? ??
    Kiwi Greg and northdude like this.

Nope, I just use the cleaning product on patches, followed by dry patches.

Then it just gets some sort of gun-oil. Liking G96 at the moment - stuff smells incredible and can be used for cleaning, lubrication and protection (CLP). I just keep smelling my shotgun...god damn I want to eat it.
    gadgetman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyP View Post
    Nope, I just use the cleaning product on patches, followed by dry patches.

Then it just gets some sort of gun-oil. Liking G96 at the moment - stuff smells incredible and can be used for cleaning, lubrication and protection (CLP). I just keep smelling my shotgun...god damn I want to eat it.
    + 1
    lubed my press aswell, now the garage swells good too

I dry with a couple dry patches, then I put a couple with a light spray of innox through the bore before storage. I don't wipe it out before shooting...or if I do wipe the bore because it's a bit dusty, its with more innox...and I'll shoot it with innox left in barrel (emphasis on the light spray used).

In general I don't get to much distance between clean and dirty bore shots using this method. I don't totally clean my barrels (of copper) until at least 60 shots or more. Just basic clean, then innox.

Kj
    Last edited by kimjon; 21-05-2015 at 09:50 PM.

generaly my cheaning prosess is 2 passes with a bore snake and oil before shooting i run the bore snake through again..... for oiling the barrel i use car oil its what the oldtimer gunsmith up here uses and works mint dont use it for lubeing parts though lol once every 50-100rnds depending on the gun i give it a spring clean with brushes, solvents etc for these cleans it tend to use something like sweets 7.62 (very nasty shit if left in which is the reason for meths) for my barrels that tend to copper alot and boretch elemater for my match barrels that dont tend to copper up as much half the time i dont even use brushes on them bore tech and patches takes it out fine

Quote Originally Posted by rambo-6mmrem View Post
    generaly my cheaning prosess is 2 passes with a bore snake and oil before shooting i run the bore snake through again..... for oiling the barrel i use car oil its what the oldtimer gunsmith up here uses and works mint dont use it for lubeing parts though lol once every 50-100rnds depending on the gun i give it a spring clean with brushes, solvents etc for these cleans it tend to use something like sweets 7.62 (very nasty shit if left in which is the reason for meths) for my barrels that tend to copper alot and boretch elemater for my match barrels that dont tend to copper up as much half the time i dont even use brushes on them bore tech and patches takes it out fine
    I have been using sweets for years, only ever patched out and oiled,never had a problem or any pitting in any barrels blued or stainless.
    If you are really worried about sweets(and there is absolutely no need to unless you are leaving it in there for months) then use a wet patch yes just wet with water, ammonia is attracted to/dissolves in water. Meths is a pretty shit cleaner for all but the lightest of oils,it does however absorb moisture so if your OCD isn't satisfied yet you could....

Clean with sweets or any other ammonia based solvent,clean that out with water,clean the water out with meths, then put some shitty engine oil in there

Quote Originally Posted by rambo-6mmrem View Post
    dose anyone run a patch of say meths through the barrel after cleaning to get rif of any solvent traces left over?
    Yep, exactly what I use.

Like Zimmer I also use it before firing.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I have been using sweets for years, only ever patched out and oiled,never had a problem or any pitting in any barrels blued or stainless.
    If you are really worried about sweets(and there is absolutely no need to unless you are leaving it in there for months) then use a wet patch yes just wet with water, ammonia is attracted to/dissolves in water. Meths is a pretty shit cleaner for all but the lightest of oils,it does however absorb moisture so if your OCD isn't satisfied yet you could....

Clean with sweets or any other ammonia based solvent,clean that out with water,clean the water out with meths, then put some shitty engine oil in there
    only the best car oil and new not used stuff

If I wasn't such a retard I would find and link that link that has been posted a few times of a pretty comprehensive test of lube/rust preventers.

veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 6x47 View Post
    And that's why I recently changed to Frog Lube as a protectant. Boretech (various brew of theirs with the exception of their Moly Magic which is useless), KG, Mercury Outboard Top Engine or Subaru Top Engine for cleaning. JBs or Autosol if really really desperate. Brakleen to remove all of above. Brakleen also has some mild carbon removing properties
    Last edited by zimmer; 23-05-2015 at 10:02 AM.