Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Getting the gun you want?

Getting the gun you want?

Hello all, long time no post by yours truly. Things got all a bit crazy between finishing my undergrad, getting married, starting a PhD, having a whoops with the wife and heading back to the farm to support a soon to be growing family, so haven't been shooting much; but I have fallen in love with a gun.

The CZ455FS to be specific.

Name:  cz-usa-cz-455-fs.png
Views: 829
Size:  119.2 KB

I've always wanted a 22 with a Mannlicher stock, but it doesn't seem like many are made these days.

Unfortunately I can't find one anywhere in NZ.

How do you go about getting hold a specific gun? Do any stores let you 'book one in' on their next shipment from a particular manufacturer? Can licence holders import guns ourselves, the police website seems to be intentionally vague about this.
    P38 and Beaker like this.

I've got one in 6.5x55 great rifle but weighs a ton. Think I got mine from gun supplies in Rotorua

I think Kilwell in Rotorua are importers agents, maybe give them a call and check on when they might be arriving

I have a 17hmr, not as heavy as 527 Centre fire rifles, great wee rifle and looks good, nice to shoot offhand.

Cheers

Dino
    "If God wanted us to be vegetarian....why did he make meat taste so good?"

Thanks Stuart and Dino, have emailed Kilwell so fingers crossed!

Yeah Kilwell is the importer. I tried to get a full stock version of the CZ527 but it was going to be a long wait. Saw a second hand one sell on trademe a few weeks ago for over $2000 (RRP $1699).

res
    They have brought them in in the past so I would be surprised if you can't get one as long as your patient via kilwels.

From memory doc Watson has one that he embarrasses other shooters with
    Using Tapatalk

Hang on, give me a week and I should be able to get you one, I have a knack for such things !
    Scouser and Gerbs like this.

They are in as I have handles a FS in the CZ550 (308) 527 (223) and 455 (22/22WMR). I was really impressed. If you are set on CZ they are a lovely piece of kit and so nice to hold. If it is the FS feel Zastava also make and import one to NZ in 7.62x39 and 223. (M85 mini mauser). I think they also did their Zastava 22WMR in one as well. Andy at shooter supplies in Chch was able to source them new for us last time. And there is the occasional Ruger #1 on trade me if you have $$$ to burn....

Have hit a bit of a snag in that Kilwell can only get hold of the models advertised on the Czech website. I had done some research and kinda keen to try a 17 HSM or 22 WMR, but those calibers are only available from the USA site or something. I see the Zastava have the MP 17 full stock but no traces of that here either.

res
    Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance Caveman View Post
    Have hit a bit of a snag in that Kilwell can only get hold of the models advertised on the Czech website. I had done some research and kinda keen to try a 17 HSM or 22 WMR, but those calibers are only available from the USA site or something. I see the Zastava have the MP 17 full stock but no traces of that here either.
    Hmmm you could try USA guns (https://www.usaguns.nz/index.php?rt=...duct_id=144)as they do imports on behalf from the USA. Or could you get a NZ stock maker to make you the style of stock you want for a std stocked version that you can get?
    Using Tapatalk

Hmmm those could be options too.

I suppose I could also just let go of the Mannlicher thing and grab any old 455 in 17HMR

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance Caveman View Post
    Hmmm those could be options too.

I suppose I could also just let go of the Mannlicher thing and grab any old 455 in 17HMR
    I picked up a 22lr and found a 17hmr barrel after a bit of impatient hunting around and kilwell being out of stock

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    I picked up a 22lr and found a 17hmr barrel after a bit of impatient hunting around and kilwell being out of stock
    Excellent point, turns out the FS is compatible with the barrel interchange so doesn't really matter what caliber I get the stock and action in!
    SlimySquirrel likes this.

Try Andy at sHooters Supplies. He deals with the supliers of Zastava and CZ. While Kilwell may not bring them in, someone sure did. They pop up on Trade me occasionally too.

Try looking at this one .....Old school stock, old school action....

Ruger No 1 .257 Roberts | Trade Me

Went in to H&F today for some ammo and wound up buying a Marlin .17HMR

Name:  FullSizeRender (1).jpg
Views: 413
Size:  641.2 KB

They seem to be ok guns, I suspect my own talents will be the limiting factor for a long while yet. Cheaper (though uglier) than the CZ would have been, full stainless and super heavy barrel are a nice touch too.

Would reaaallly like to get a wood stock on there though, are we allowed to import those over the internets or are they a controlled gun part rigamarole?