Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: A good air rifle

A good air rifle

Looking for something to clean up starlings . 22 is out so I looking for reccomendations for a good slug gun . Starlings at 30m , so doesn't need to be a 1200fps job , I like the gas ram nitro piston idea , not fussed on break barrels ( cant see how you can have a hinge between the barrel and the sights and still shoot straight ) . I had a Gamo CFX .22 but in the end I flagged it as the best accuracy I got was about 30mm at 25m . Has anyone had good success with any rifle/ scope / pellet combo ? probly rather 177 ,
    Thanks for any tips
    Vegetarians Bah !! . If god didn't want us to eat animals he wouldn't have made them out of meat ! .

although you make dislike break barrel, our ruger airhawk does a pretty good job on small game.
    but if you do get 22 cal remember that if you glue a small rifle primer on the front of the slug, while inaccurate tends to make things go splot in a big way
    Fisherman, Sideshow and WallyR like this.

If you are looking at starlings out to 30 metres, have a look at a QB79 if you can find one. It works like a bolt action single shot and uses CO2 as a propellant (Think paint ball tanks etc) It is 177 and does around 600fps. More importantly with a cheap scope on my wifes one we consistently get a 1 inch group at 25 metres easily. You can use any scope as there is no spring vibration which destroys scopes on most airguns. Ideal for starlings and VERY quiet if you have neighbours. Mine uses an adaptor that takes the CO2 powerlets for convenience and I get around 30 shots per powerlet. But we also have a 9oz (soda stream size) bottle that fits under the barrel not unlike a grenade launcher. About $5 to fill and good for around a packet of pellets.

I have some Baikal break open ones in 177 around the $275 mark but the QB would be better and they should be a bit cheaper. Not much good past 40 metres unless you are good at figuring drop and I would not try it on thinks like rabbits or rats as it may be a bit light in power.

Search QB79 in google images and you will quickly get the idea.

Nitro piston is a break barrel, just with a gas strut rather than a spring. I have a Cannon 737 bolt action/pump air rifle. Don't have the bouncing springing action of a springer to break scopes, very quiet and very accurate. You can pump it to suit what you're shooting. A bit slow and fiddly to reload but I can put up with that. Sort of most of the advantages of a PCP without the expense and extra gear. They are only a couple of hundy from Youngs.
    Cordite likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Unless you really need to use a air gun, just use a 12 gauge.
    It's quite good sport.
    Overkill is still dead.

man I regularly shoot starlings or blackbirds on the back lawn with break open .177 with iron sights...range is about 15 yards....when the plums are ripe its just too easy as they are about 5 mtrs from bedroom window and tree that dense its a good safe backstop....
    the best air rifles Ive used were both wairachs (hope thats spelt right) one of them had cocking lever on side and breech opened but barrel stayed in place.
    northdude likes this.

Depending on how much you want to spend, Air Arms (TX200) and Weihrauch (HW97, HW95) are probably the best manufacturers of springers, anything that they make should tick your boxes. Walther, Hatsan, Diana are supposed to be good too, although I haven't owned any of their rifles.

As for pellets H&N FTT are worth trying, JSB too. Like powder burners, different air guns will prefer different pellets so try as many as possible.

Young's Airgun Centre is probably the best place to look for air gun supplies.
    https://gunshed.co.nz/ for the JSB pellets.

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    but if you do get 22 cal remember that if you glue a small rifle primer on the front of the slug, while inaccurate tends to make things go splot in a big way
    Wadda ya mean remember ..........no bugger ever told me that, but........OH YES PLEASE , my only issue is how the fuck did I get to 53 without thinkin of that?( I was a real demon with proper crackers before the namby's took them away , cant believe I never thought of that ). OH its like having a new reason to live.
    Thanks for the replies guys . I think Ill give youngs a bell , someone there found me a non-existent part for an old slug gun I had and then practically gave it to me , so I owe him one
    Fisherman likes this.
    Vegetarians Bah !! . If god didn't want us to eat animals he wouldn't have made them out of meat ! .

I think buy something quality that's used. If I was buying one, I'd be tempted with these:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/hun...1457203140.htm

Excellent quality German made.

Or if you need more grunt:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/hun...1456426280.htm

Excellent quality Spanish made. If I didn't own a Diana Panther 34, I'd snap this one up.

Stoeger x10 or x20 in .177. Cheap as chips and i used to knock holes through a 30x30cm square of 8mm mdf from 150m of a bipod in my work shed. .177 has less drop than .22 and with the right pellets nothing smaller than a rabbit got away. I only sold mine to go pcp but should have kept it

Sign in to the NZ Airgun forum and ask around there.

This is my airgun
    (quite nice).

Like you, I thought "how can a break barrel be stable ?" But I've seen Weihrauch guns that shoot very well. They are more intuitive and you can give them to someone and they just use it. Easier to get pellets into too. So don't discount them, specially if you want to buy new, won't shot tens of thousands of pellets through it and do want to spend a lot on a Weihrauch. We're talking about good air rifles here.

The short barrel hunter carbine seemed like a good idea at the time but it also has a short cocking lever and although I can load it easily, I've got a sore elbow. You have to make a point of keeping your elbow near the stock around the trigger area and pulling straight down as you cock it. This also reduces side forces on the hinge and avoids wear on the gun.

I went for .22 cal expecting more killing power and better wind resistance as you would with a centerfire rifle. I'm not sure is a good idea. Lock time is longer making it harder to shoot and trajectory greater specially at close range up to 30m, which is as far as I can kill a rabbit. So, look at .177.

For a scope, The best airgun rated ones are Hawke and Leapers/UTG (if you can get one in NZ). For hunting, 3-12x 40-50mm is good. Field target shooters use bigger objectives and higher power to help estimate range. A hunter should use a laser or else shoot within a point blank range. Close focus parallax adjustment is very helpful if your eyes are more than 40 years old, specially if you shoot close like 10m. I have a Leapers 3-12x44 compact on my airgun and Hawke Vantage 3-12x44 on my .22LR and they are great for $400 scopes.

Sports Match make the best mounts but Leapers are good too if you peel off the furry lining. Don't use sweet little Leupold or lightweight aluminium ones like you would on a .22LR.

You can get a phone app which has a special ballistic coefficient for waisted diabolo shaped airgun pellets and a library of common pellets from the Hawke Optics web site. Theres one for computer and one for phones. It seems pretty accurate from my limited testing.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by specweapon View Post
    Stoeger x10 or x20 in .177. Cheap as chips and i used to knock holes through a 30x30cm square of 8mm mdf from 150m of a bipod in my work shed. .177 has less drop than .22 and with the right pellets nothing smaller than a rabbit got away. I only sold mine to go pcp but should have kept it

surely you mean 15mtrs not 150???????????????? at 150mtrs a .22lr thats shite loads heavier to begin with is running out of grunt and you saying a .177 air rifle pellet.....

Break barrels not inaccurate in my experience.

Try with different forms of ammo, some will generate less shake due to better harmonics with the spring and piston and so will likely be the more accurate therefore (relatively big time gap from trigger to muzzle exit).

If you choose accuracy over power you'll enjoy using the air gun, for a long time. If you don't, then you won't.
    Yukon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by specweapon View Post
    You must have had a good one. I bought one for my son, and its disgusting. Trigger is heavy and creepier than a chicken in a budgie cage. It is horribly inaccurate with every brand of pellet that I've used, including H&N etc. It goes of with a good thump, but the stock screws work loose, and I will have to locktite these. It cost the same as my second hand Diana Panther 34, which is brilliant in comparison. Chinese spring air rifles are what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon View Post
    You must have had a good one. I bought one for my son, and its disgusting. Trigger is heavy and creepier than a chicken in a budgie cage. It is horribly inaccurate with every brand of pellet that I've used, including H&N etc. It goes of with a good thump, but the stock screws work loose, and I will have to locktite these. It cost the same as my second hand Diana Panther 34, which is brilliant in comparison. Chinese spring air rifles are what they are.
    Yup. Overpowered and under-engineered. Take a qualified gamble and Dremel a turn or two off the mainspring. If nothing else will make it easier to reassemble.