Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Got to be kidding me

So anyone who has listened to my ranting lately would know I've been really excited for my Schultz and Larsen 300wm to come in. I ordered it 4 months ago and was told it'd be here by the latest second week of December. Even so I went in and saw them a couple of times a month to see how it was going as they've been known to be hopeless. So I went in last Wednesday and the bloke said oh yeh I was meant to ring him today I'll do it tomorrow and let you know. I called back Friday and he told me he forgot and he'd do it Monday. So today I found out where it's all at, but he never bothered telling me I had to hear it through my brother (hart hunter) who was sent as a messenger because he knew how pissed I'd be. Instead of being here it's still in Denmark and won't be here till march at the earliest which is just not good enough unfortunately. I need it for a trip in January which I stressed to the bloke an to which he said last week "that'll be no worries" I'm not digging at him because he's a nice bloke despite all this but I'm just not prepared to wait that long after 4 months already added to the possibility it might not even be here for NZ in march.

So I'm asking for advice on what I should get instead as I'm planning on canceling it now. I want something in wood and in the 300wm caliber, I'm tossing up between a sako 85 Bavarian or a Steyr mannlicher classic but I'm open to any other suggestions or comments on these.

Cheers
    Jack

Incompetence at its finest.

nothing gets under my skin faster

I should add that I actually need a gun soon because the liense to fill out to go hunting in NZ requires a firearm serial number and the process they said can take up to a couple of months

That sucks bro.

Decided against the 300wsm?

Ejected
    Sauer 202 in whatever configuration you want.

PS: They are a lot cheaper than people think yet the quality is stunning.

I have been through most of the modern Steyrs and am still a fan! Smoothest action full stop, perfect stock shape (for me), safety in the right place, usually a nice bit of wood, good trigger espec the set trigger option. If you are shelling that kind of cash you obviously need to handle one, for me they are the fastest shouldering and most natural pointing rifle I have owned to date. The Steyr will have a proper 26" barrel on the .300 WM as well

Sako = blandest kind of synthetic vanilla! would get a finnlight if you are going to slum it with that kind of eurotrash offering

You are just under or around the $$ of some other "nice bits of kit" - Merkel KR1, Getting close to Flash model Blaser territory, Heym Concord etc but really what of it?

Personally I have found that the joy of firearm ownership has not increased that much with the price tag and I have sold down my "must have been on coke" buys... my battle scarred Scout gets taken out of the safe nearly every time and had it not had in a bit of an oops my Steyr Ultralight would have been a "never sell, never need another one" rifle.

Open sights? I only ask cos the bavarians stock is suited for open sights and would be very low with a scope compared to say a hunter
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Too true bill!

Phillip - Would love one but already have spent $160 on 300wm brass haha

Wirehunt- That's something I really considered but I read a review that tore them apart for their lack of accuracy for such an expensive gun.

Cyclist - I'm of the same opinion really, I'd like to own a sako but they just don't overly excite me, my bro has a steyr and its bloody magnificent, my only concern is it kicks like a mule so I could imagine what a 300wm would do - being so light and just the shape of it. Having said that they shoot so damn well

vc - I never really considered that at all so thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jackp. View Post
    Too true bill!

Phillip - Would love one but already have spent $160 on 300wm brass haha

Wirehunt- That's something I really considered but I read a review that tore them apart for their lack of accuracy for such an expensive gun.

Cyclist - I'm of the same opinion really, I'd like to own a sako but they just don't overly excite me, my bro has a steyr and its bloody magnificent, my only concern is it kicks like a mule so I could imagine what a 300wm would do - being so light and just the shape of it. Having said that they shoot so damn well

vc - I never really considered that at all so thanks!
    I'm still just torn and getting stressed because I need the bloody thing asap. The gun dealers I've been contacting dont seem to have a steyr in 300wm which is a pain but I'll keep looking, what do people think of the Kimbers? the only thing putting me off is the 1/9" twist which affects accuracy on long shots doesnt it?

I like Kimbers but seem short in the stock to me,Owner doesnt notice it.
    1/9 will affect long shots for sure,it means you can actually load a bullet with a decent bc and have it stabilize.

Vc which is better for long shots? I'm a little confused and about to call gundealer

Twist is irrelevant for range but faster twists can shoot longer/heavier projectiles(better ballistic coefficient) and still shoot lighter ones fine.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    If you were looking at S&L money you could look here
    Mauser: Home
    or here
    MOA Performance: Cooper Firearms in Australia
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Have you hunted NZ before? NI isnt bad at all, but SI is not rifle friendly country and they tend to look like a dog chewed on them pretty quick... Might help with your decision (or not)

Well gents the decision was made for me, after a few calls i kmow there are no S&L in Australia, Australia doesn't import Steyr heavier than 30-06 and there will be no kimber until mid next year. So I've gone an 85 Bavarian (sorry cyclist!), they're still nice guns and the reviews I've read impress me enough performance wise.

Jakewire - the Schultz and Larsen was $2k, none of the mausers I've found are under about $4k same for the merkel at around $3.6k

I really appreciate everyones help and I wish I could have been in a position to act on it!
    Jack