Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Gun Safe - Any Good?

Gun Safe - Any Good?

Are these any good and any reason to look elsewhere? Priced well for the size.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/hun...3070866089.htm

Thanks

Gone but not forgotten
    It says the door is 3mm, which to me probably means the rest is thinner steel, which would mean it doesn’t meet the police guidelines (and the guidelines may become law in the near future).
    stagstalker likes this.

Plus the handle can have force applied to it.
    You are better off with ones with only a keyhole.
    Welcome to Sako club.

From the answered question it looks like the walls are 3mm as well. As Cigar points out most of them have walls thinner than the door so being 3mm is a plus.

The description is a bit chinglish? I went and looked at safes imported by a Chinese guy. He wasn't there only his father who couldn't speak English. I didn't purchase.

I had a Kilwell and it was 3mm door, 2mm walls. I only ever viewed it as a cabinet.
    Don't be fooled by the 3 sliding bolts. On the Kilwell they are short stubs with a tab welded on the end which connects to a very flimsy mechanism.
    Kilwell has top and bottom bolts as well which may give added security. The list one appears to have 3 side bolts.

They're all made in China. Terrible welds usually with lots of unremoved weld splatter, painted over.

The one you have shown is probably ok no better or worse than the others of the type. Price is lower than purchasing say from Reloaders.

If you're able, go and view it.
    Also ask the seller what it weighs. That may confirm the claim of 3mm walls. The Kilwell 10 gun weighs 75 kilos IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    Plus the handle can have force applied to it.
    You are better off with ones with only a keyhole.
    Hello, my like button has pissed of to places unknown.
    Yes, agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    It says the door is 3mm, which to me probably means the rest is thinner steel, which would mean it doesn’t meet the police guidelines (and the guidelines may become law in the near future).
    What is the police requirement regarding wall and door thickness in the near future?

you could make a safe from 20mm cobalt steel but if some scumbag has a knife to your wifes or kids throat it will get opened up quick smart

Quote Originally Posted by outlander View Post
    What is the police requirement regarding wall and door thickness in the near future?
    My jaundiced view is that we may all and up requiring the equivalent of the E cat which would drive a lot away from ownership.
    outlander likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    you could make a safe from 20mm cobalt steel but if some scumbag has a knife to your wifes or kids throat it will get opened up quick smart
    Yeah, we were all sitting around at the range one day and the discussion got onto safes. Lots of opinions some overtalking others, then the club president quietly stated any safe can be opened with a pocket knife...........

I was going to like that...but cant ...I do however agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Yeah, we were all sitting around at the range one day and the discussion got onto safes. Lots of opinions some overtalking others, then the club president quietly stated any safe can be opened with a pocket knife...........
    I hope one of the boys drove his car home for him...

Quote Originally Posted by outlander View Post
    I hope one of the boys drove his car home for him...
    i think he was referring that if under threat of himself or family getting sliced open he would open the safe
    outlander likes this.

i think he was referring that if under threat of himself or family getting sliced open he would open the safe
    Thanks, got it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    The ones illustrated in GOT-YA's post have a 2mm constructed door and wall and are recognized as legal. Has the law changed again?