Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree156Likes

Thread: Gun shop recommendations - Christchurch

RV1

Gun shop recommendations - Christchurch

Hi all,

I'm not sure this is the best place for this post, but I'll try and see how it goes.

I'm in the market for a new rifle - nothing special, just something to take into the hills for deer. It'll be the first rifle I've ever bought from a shop, and I'm still relatively new to Christchurch.

I've talked to a bunch of people over the last little while, and been reading a lot on this forum. This place is a goldmine of information - thank you all!

Would anyone please recommend a shop in or around the Christchurch area where I could go get some advice and buy a rifle and scope?

I'm more after a recommendation for a place with great customer service than the lowest prices. I would rather pay a bit more and get some good advice from someone who knows what they are talking about, rather than get a cheap deal from someone who is just trying to sell me something that they need to move to meet sales targets. I realise retailers needs to sell product, but I've been into one or two places and didn't get the advice/service I was looking for.

I don't really want to start a "my shop is better than your shop" flame war - maybe PM me your recommendation if that is more helpful.

Cheers,
    RV

If you want good advice and customer service then I wouldn't recommend "H&F". I buy some stuff at Guncity, both shops. I seem to get more realistic service/banter etc from the one on the main road south.
    But I do most of my buying at either Outdoor Adventure Sports in Ashburton, or Gunworks, cant fault either. And I have heard good things about Rivers to Ranges out Rangiora [I think]
    If you're unsure and a bit daunted by all the glitz and glamor, I'd suggest taking a good mate who knows his stuff, or pick one of us old grumpy buggers on here, to go along with you. Helps to sort the BS form the real.
    Micky Duck, Stocky, dannyb and 2 others like this.

Go see James at Rivers to ranges in Rangiora he's a stand up guy and a hunter. Tell him what your after and he'll point you in the right direction.
    Everything from basic tikka's to semi custom and fully custom rifles and everything in between.
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by RV1 View Post
    Hi all,

I'm not sure this is the best place for this post, but I'll try and see how it goes.

I'm in the market for a new rifle - nothing special, just something to take into the hills for deer. It'll be the first rifle I've ever bought from a shop, and I'm still relatively new to Christchurch.

I've talked to a bunch of people over the last little while, and been reading a lot on this forum. This place is a goldmine of information - thank you all!

Would anyone please recommend a shop in or around the Christchurch area where I could go get some advice and buy a rifle and scope?

I'm more after a recommendation for a place with great customer service than the lowest prices. I would rather pay a bit more and get some good advice from someone who knows what they are talking about, rather than get a cheap deal from someone who is just trying to sell me something that they need to move to meet sales targets. I realise retailers needs to sell product, but I've been into one or two places and didn't get the advice/service I was looking for.

I don't really want to start a "my shop is better than your shop" flame war - maybe PM me your recommendation if that is more helpful.

Cheers,
    RV
    I used to have a recommendation but recently I'd say its super hard to find shops sales people dont just push for sales or give average advise. While I still think going in with research already done is the best bet.

Obviously worth having a good relationship with one store as they can help you out with other incidentals etc.

I've had good luck with Nick at Ballingers H & F, James and Jordy at Rivers to Ranges NC, and Andy at Shooters Supplies I would still go into all of them with an idea what i wanted and then double check any advise given when I've returned home.

Guncity is not the place for advise and typically and I usually go in there with an exact idea of what i want and knowing its on sale etc. They can and will sell novices crap I have seen them sell some very questionable rifles to new hunters (worst was a young kid that they convinced he needed a Mossberg 22-250 combo with some shit chinese rings and scope for his first hunting rifle for deer as the fluted bolt meant the rifle was nice and lighter and that it killed really well with low recoil.... While I dont doubt its fine in an experienced hunter/reloaders hands its really not a good first rifel choice and nthe second it walked out that door you'd be lucky to recover half the "value" as the scopes worthless and the rifles undesirable. Would have been significantly better with the 308 howa combo they had at the time for about $100 more.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_H View Post
    It would seem @Husky1600 has had the same experiences as me. Outdoor Adventure Sports in Ashburton, Gunworks and I can also recommend Rivers to Ranges out in Rangiora.

Guncity.....depends on who you get. I have found helpful knowledgeable staff there but a lot of them are young lads fresh out of school who think they know it all......and they don't.

H&F....never had a good experience there so never bought anything gun related.

Cheers
    Phil
    And sales bonuses are a tempting reason to spew crap. The older american guy (I forget his name) has been top notch and knows his shit.

Older American guy at Gun-city is Colman and he's knowledgeable also Andy at Shooters Supplies is up to date.
    James Morris at Rangioura is a die hard hunter and a great guy to talk hunting and rifles.
    It seems we are spoilt for choice in Christchurch,
    Husky1600, Phil_H, dannyb and 1 others like this.

SGR
    Rivers to ranges in rangiora is where you want to go
    Nathan F, Husky1600 and Backsteaks like this.

Ned
    Without checking, have you tried putting up a WTB on the buy sell swap page on this site?

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
    Moa Hunter and RV1 like this.

Another one for rivers to ranges in rangiora
    dannyb and RV1 like this.

Have mates in Northland that have ordered custom and semi custom rifles through rivers to ranges and very happy with the service. Seems like they are mad keen hunters that own a gun store

River to Ranges Rangiora
    Gunworks
    Nathan F, Micky Duck and RV1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Boxton View Post
    River to Ranges Rangiora
    Gunworks
    This
    Nathan F and RV1 like this.

Walked in and bought $650 boots at rivers to ranges Rangiora knew what i wanted and while trying boots on heard a young sales guy bragging to the blondie that works there how he upsold a customer to something more expensive "and Totally unsuitable for what he was after" based on my 20 years experience and then bagged the customer out to the blondie, never again
    PadLo likes this.

these guys have got "the shop" sorted

so rifle...calbibre and scope....

decide what you want to shoot at...how far away....

that will help with calibre....scope,a bit he same,low power and big field of view for close bush work,higher power for longer range or varmiting.
    for ME...the simple 3x9x40mm has ticked all the boxes for 30 years,still does the job well....brands???leupold works for me...
    Im tight for spare $$$$$ so like the reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbine View Post
    Walked in and bought $650 boots at rivers to ranges Rangiora knew what i wanted and while trying boots on heard a young sales guy bragging to the blondie that works there how he upsold a customer to something more expensive "and Totally unsuitable for what he was after" based on my 20 years experience and then bagged the customer out to the blondie, never again
    I think you'll find your experience is the exception and not the norm, no defense for the young buck that's poor form and likely he was trying to impress the "blondie".
    I only deal with James, he is the owner and I can assure you, he is a stand up guy and I'm sure if given that feedback he would absolutely nip it in the bud and likely also be mortified that any of his staff would 1 behsve in that manner and 2 speak like that in front of a customer.
    If James isn't in store I generally wont buy anything unless it's necessary, but that's my choice.
    Tedz50, Micky Duck, Stocky and 2 others like this.
    #DANNYCENT