Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree17Likes
  • 4 Post By Russian 22.
  • 2 Post By Martin358
  • 4 Post By ebf
  • 2 Post By 40mm
  • 2 Post By northdude
  • 1 Post By Slug

Thread: Gun/strong room

northdude

Gun/strong room

Ok so after having a chat with a customer this morning and an interesting one at that hes and old guy that used to build the old bank and post office safes(hence a quirey about thermic lances that didnt go down to well with someone this morning) i kind of knew this was one of the many interesting things hes done in his life so asked him about how they were built i dont think i need anything quite as ww3 proof as one of these. Are there any rules/regulations on building a strong room for a cat firearms. Im thinking of doing it to my other house once we move into it. It has a concrete and block open basement so its a blank canvas. Cheers nd

if you're going to make a strong room then definitely get temperature and humidity control in it and make sure it is well sealed against moisture ingress.

Remember guns only have two enemies

Govt and rust

i built a strong room years ago out of 200 series blocks and a 10 mm steel door. It got damp so i painted it on the inside with polar coat which penetrated the concrete and sealed it so no more problems
    northdude and Moa Hunter like this.

northdude
    ok so it has to have a door off a safe? are there different grades of rooms this is only for a cat and all my money

ebf
    @northdude

https://www.police.govt.nz/sites/def...e-guidance.pdf

Room of stout contruction is on page 14

Bearing in mind this is a police doc, and liable to change in about 3 seconds
    northdude, hamsav, 40mm and 1 others like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    ok so it has to have a door off a safe? are there different grades of rooms this is only for a cat and all my money
    What ebf said.

No need for a safe doof, it can be a home built one. The police document willl set you right.
    northdude and hamsav like this.
    Use enough gun

northdude
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    Have a look at the Police website and find the advice document regarding firearms storage. Easiest option is the "room of stout construction", finding a suitable bank vault type door.

I have one in pieces, 8mm plate skin that needs a stud removed and replaced, lugs replaced and reassembled and the frame repaired. And a replacement lock... I got given a complete one ex a bank strip out and intend to use that in my build, so that one in pieces is now surplus... If you are interested let me know.

Edit: what was wrong with ultrathermic cutting? The lances are extremely good at what they do...
    The lance thing i was going to quiery if a burnig plane would have a similar effect on a building in another thread but a dummy spit prevented it getting that far...
    Mauser308 and hamsav like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin358 View Post
    i built a strong room years ago out of 200 series blocks and a 10 mm steel door. It got damp so i painted it on the inside with polar coat which penetrated the concrete and sealed it so no more problems
    I found a layer of Polystyrene between the wall ant the lining for the firearms worked a treat. Leave a few air gaps in strips helps too.
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    If you can get one though it works out cheaper and easier than fabricating something up. Even with a bit of a refresh and a straighten up on the cards!
    Yup. But in saying that, the door wont need to be up to safe standards. A pair of five fingered mortice locks I think, and pry proof.
    Use enough gun

Ventilation, natural and mechanical. Not only just a matter of keeping moisture out but also of not sealing it in.
    hamsav likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug View Post
    Ventilation, natural and mechanical. Not only just a matter of keeping moisture out but also of not sealing it in.
    Exactly right. I am installing a damp chaser in mine along with a tiny PC fan to provide some airflow. I will have a small inlet (down low) and outlet vent (up high). The idea of the damp chaser is to provide a consistent temp. A few moisture crystals will also be in there as well as a digital humidity/temp display. Safe is approximately 1.5m x 2.0m.
    https://dampchaser.co.nz/