Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Knives Africa DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Are gunsafe safe from this mob

Are gunsafe safe from this mob

Thinking about buying a new gun safe and wondered if the snowflakes are likely to change those requirements too.
    Any thoughts?

I would hold off for a few weeks and see what is released in the way of legislation. As they weren't stolen rifles not much might change in that respect.

I have zero issue if they want to increase the security requirements for firearm storage.

Where/what is the downside if the E cat standard becomes the base standard?
    ebf likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Proudkiwi View Post
    I have zero issue if they want to increase the security requirements for firearm storage.

Price and space.

For one I don't have $2500 to blow on a beefcake safe. I am also renting like a lot of us are and not many landlords are going to let you bolt a beefcake in to their floor. I also live in a shoebox and don't have room for a normal-ass safe as it is, I have gun racks screwed in to studs in a locked closet because its my only option.
    Last edited by TheWuce; 23-03-2019 at 02:20 PM.

I would definitely hold off, they have already said there will be changes to storage requirements

Cost and supply. 250,000 firearms owners all having to upgrade to e-cat level at once won't happen overnight.

The hundreds of thousands of dollars it would cost the firearms community, many of who cant afford to just shell out $1k+ on a whim
    Steve123 likes this.

Dimensionally they are same same, just the weight is different so the space issue is irrelevant where someone already has an A cat safe in place.

And I’m not proposing that it happens right now, but as licences are renewed and security is reviewed as part of the renewal process.

I have a fair amount of cash tied up in firearms and want them protected as well as possible.

Again, where is the downside?
    systolic likes this.

Fulla
    Dimensionally they are same same, just the weight is different so the space issue is irrelevant where someone already has an A cat safe in place.

And I’m not proposing that it happens right now, but as licences are renewed and security is reviewed as part of the renewal process.

I have a fair amount of cash tied up in firearms and want them protected as well as possible.

Again, where is the downside?
    The cost?
    And if your realistic... If they want them, they will still take them, if the steel is a few more mm thick.
    gadgetman and tetawa like this.

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    Cost and supply. 250,000 firearms owners all having to upgrade to e-cat level at once won't happen overnight.
    H&F r gonna be pissed if they read your post!!
    mikee likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by bully View Post
    The cost?
    And if your realistic... If they want them, they will still take them, if the steel is a few more mm thick.
    That’s a weak argument. Using that rationale why have any security at all?

The cost isn’t prohibitive and would think relative to the cost of the firearms they hold they would be pretty cheap.

Fulla

The cost isn’t prohibitive and would think relative to the cost of the firearms they hold they would be pretty cheap.
    Mostly to stop the likes of kids playing with guns. To keep honest people out.

If you have one $300 .22 and you now need a $1000 safe.....

What is the benefit for having steel a couple of mm thicker?
    tetawa, Steve123 and Cordite like this.

Its a debate based on zero facts . Until they release the actual requirements we do not know what we are looking at.

Same with the Police 0800 number - they dont have any more information than we do , so are making it up as they go along.

Sit tight and dont panic - yet.
    Konev, Survy and Moa Hunter like this.
    Cats have nine lives-which makes them ideal for experimentation...

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    Its a debate based on zero facts . Until they release the actual requirements we do not know what we are looking at.

Same with the Police 0800 number - they dont have any more information than we do , so are making it up as they go along.

Sit tight and dont panic - yet.
    Spot on @muzza, the police are going off what the government is supplying re info, as 99% of the documents match (police web site vs. government site)

Iím not sure why they didnít put it in a simple term and call it a freeze and wait for such and such date before *we are required to fill out paperwork.

The confusion is the fact they want people to fill in the hand in forms now.
    For some, itís easy as itís straight forward re model and style types.
    However the vast majority are in the grey area, have questions but no one except the government has the defining answers.

Now hereís food for thought, go check out what the definition under the arms act for destruction/destroyed means.
    You maybe surprised that there are some clauses in there which prevents a firearm from being destroyed and it can be repurposed by police and other avenues.
    ďhe waka eke noaĒ

the security is to stop people walking off with them. I could take off with a e cat safe just as easily as an a cat...especially if fixed to wood..less than 5 mins with a chainsaw
    tetawa likes this.