Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By P38
  • 1 Post By MassiveAttack
  • 1 Post By gadgetman

Thread: Guys, what single shot "quick swap" guns do we have available to us?

Guys, what single shot "quick swap" guns do we have available to us?

I was looking through some old photos and saw a couple of pics of my old Rossi Wizard I used to have. That thing was a poorly made turd of a rifle... but it was very comfortable to shoot and had a nice trigger. Plus the barrels were less than a few hundie if I remember correctly.

Recently I picked myself up a new 223 and I got thinking, what options do we have over here in terms of single shot "hot swap" rifles?

I like the concept of having like, a 17HMR barrel for general bunny shooting, a 223 barrel for proper varminting, then a 708 barrel for deer shooting, and just being able to swap out the barrel/scope combo. At $300 a pop it'd be cheap enough to tinker with various calibers I wouldn't otherwise be able to afford a whole new rifle in.

There's no way I'm going to buy another Rossi. I'm not a fan of the Handi rifles (my other 223 was a Handi rifle), and I know you can't necessarily just swap the barrels out... what does that leave me with? The Thompson Contender? Those things are so overpriced here they're not worth bothering with (the barrels alone are like $800... only a couple hundred more and you're in remmy 700 territory).

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    R93/R8 but well out of that price point

P38
    Baikal IZH-18MH
    timattalon likes this.

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    R93/R8 but well out of that price point
    But worth every cent. No substitute for quality.

Ray.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar

I want a rimfire adaptor for my R93

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar

The CVA are the bizzo. Like a cheap Thompson but built on modern gear

Sauer 202, up there with the blazers in price though!
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Ejected
    An AR with uppers in .22LR, 556 and 763x39.
    Gerbs likes this.

Single shot Biakle are pigs, 7 something pounds for. Single shot rifle :/

My backup won't group for no matter what I do, lucky to hit a banana box at 50m

res
    Not cheep but tc contenders are nice and a gunsmith can take a fair amount of weight out of them safely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Timmay View Post
    Single shot Biakle are pigs, 7 something pounds for. Single shot rifle :/
    Well if you measure the barrel like any other rifle the barrel comes out at something like 23.5". Plenty of room to remove some weight there.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

I see you point but it also doesn't have a bolt or magazine etc. It seems excessive to me (I understand it's a budget point gun)

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Well if you measure the barrel like any other rifle the barrel comes out at something like 23.5". Plenty of room to remove some weight there.
    Indeed. I have not mentioned them here as they are not really a swap barrrel system such as the OP was after. You can do it but as the whole rifle is the same price as the sap barrel it cannot really be seen as a swap barrel as you need to buy the rifle complete in each calibre. As a pack rifle, they work really well if you take them back to 765mm overall. This removes a lot of barrel and reduces a considerable amount of weight. I have seen some put on an extreme diet t make them lighter still, but when it comes down to a lightweight rifle, there is a limit as to what can be done safely. And if it gets to the stage of losing a few oz here and a few there, then carry less ammo and buy lighter boots, and carry a lighter lunch......

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    Indeed. I have not mentioned them here as they are not really a swap barrrel system such as the OP was after. You can do it but as the whole rifle is the same price as the sap barrel it cannot really be seen as a swap barrel as you need to buy the rifle complete in each calibre. As a pack rifle, they work really well if you take them back to 765mm overall. This removes a lot of barrel and reduces a considerable amount of weight. I have seen some put on an extreme diet t make them lighter still, but when it comes down to a lightweight rifle, there is a limit as to what can be done safely. And if it gets to the stage of losing a few oz here and a few there, then carry less ammo and buy lighter boots, and carry a lighter lunch......
    Sure I've seen them advertised here with two or three barrel options as a kit. Even if buying complete there are still single shots, unlike the blasers and AR's mentioned.
    WallyR likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!