Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree12Likes
  • 2 Post By stug
  • 1 Post By ZQLewis
  • 2 Post By Cigar
  • 1 Post By scotty
  • 1 Post By Chur Bay
  • 1 Post By NZ32
  • 1 Post By bigbear
  • 1 Post By 25/08IMP
  • 2 Post By northdude

Thread: Handheld GPS - advice please

Handheld GPS - advice please

Hey Guys - going to buy a Handheld GPS soon, never had one before and the Garmin 20x seems to offer what we want for the price. Questions,
    1. Is there anything else you would recommend?
    2. whats the deal with local maps etc, do you simply download them and away you go ? are they free ? recommendations ?

Sorry if this is basic stuff, Cheers

If you have a smart phone then just get a GPS app, I use Topo50 with my iphone. Doesn't need cell coverage and you have either the whole NI or SI permanently downloaded. Signal works under trees too. You might just need a powerbank if your battery gets low.
    Maca49 and Pete_D like this.

Thanks @stug i have heard of using your phone, just never quite trusted the thing in the bush, getting wet, or sitting on it and then the thing stops working when you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    If you have a smart phone then just get a GPS app, I use Topo50 with my iphone. Doesn't need cell coverage and you have either the whole NI or SI permanently downloaded. Signal works under trees too. You might just need a powerbank if your battery gets low.

Just check that your eyes are good enough to make out the detail on the screen.
    And ask to have a look at how the topo's look.
    I have an older colour 60CSx and compared to my mates sightly (2yrs) newer 62CSx it is hard to make out the fine detail.
    The colour palette is different for the same topo maps between them .

I have used the Marine charts for NZ on mine and they are fine to read (If I have my glasses on). The Topos not so crisp.
    NB if you have good eyes you could also consider going down the wrist mounted path, ie Garmin Fenix etc.
    Battery life in wrist GPS (12hrs) would be about 1/2 that of the 60 series hand held.
    However it's one less thing to carry.
    I have retired my 60 series and just use a wrist GPS but without Topo maps, just tracking, compass, and altitude. Only day walks/hunts.

If doing lots of hunts with mates and splitting up to hunt different sides of a valley then look at the Rhino series. Lets you track your hunting buddies and communicate, as many shootings are from within the same group.

Zq,

Yep Cell phone is great as well. And comes with a camera. ( I know newer Garmin units come with a camera as well)
    I have used this too before the wrist watch. Larger screen etc easy to view.
    Couple of issues are water resistance, battery life and GPS reception. I have found that with the phone I lost coverage under dense trees or in narrow valleys.
    More user friendly than the 60CSx or the wrist mounted but not as reliable.
    Last edited by ZQLewis; 08-11-2018 at 09:29 PM.
    Pete_D likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    Garmin are definitely the brand to go with for GPS.
    They use open source programming, which means anyone can make maps etc to load onto them. There are free topomaps and auto-routing driving maps available, and they work well. You can also do your own custom maps from aerial photos or pamphlets etc.
    Check out nzopengps.org
    Pete_D and ZQLewis like this.

for a little extra you can get the etrex 30 basically the same with the better compass (think the 20 compass doesnt do anything till you start moving) feature and more memory
    Pete_D likes this.

+1 on the phone. Don't use my Garmin any more
    Pete_D likes this.

Another 1+ one the phone. Used to carry a GPS for work too but everyone uses a phone with avenza & topo50 maps.
    Last edited by NZ32; 09-11-2018 at 08:33 AM. Reason: spelling
    Pete_D likes this.

@Pete_D Go have a chat with the local mountain safety people they will point you in the right direction . They will should have a couple off different units you could have a play on. I can pm you a couple of names if you want.
    Pete_D likes this.

Thanks for the advice guys - I like the idea of a dediacated GPS, but thats just cos I dont get along with cell phones and when they are designing the latest, greatest phone I doubt anyone considers the environemt of a typical nz hunt if you know what i mean.

Another feature I have read is that the someone can follow where you are at home on the computer with the Garmin, mum likes the sound of that now the young fella is coming with.
    Cheers

+1 for the older Garmin 60CS or 60CSx they are bloody reliable and better than latter models in my experience. Pick one up 2nd hand with maps for $250 -300

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    @Pete_D Go have a chat with the local mountain safety people they will point you in the right direction . They will should have a couple off different units you could have a play on. I can pm you a couple of names if you want.
    No such thing as local Mountian Safety people anymore. Head office in their wisdom sacked all the local instructors.

Shit I had a Garmin Oregon 600t for sale no one wanted it so I gave it to my future son in law.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    Pete_D likes this.

northdude
    i use a garmin 64 its good but a prick of a thing for us non computery guys to get your head around the fukn menu in it
    berg243 and Tribrit like this.