Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Hard case for transporting rifles

  1. #1
    Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Gore
    Posts
    1,607

    Hard case for transporting rifles

    Thinking of buying something a bit nicer than the $60-$70 flimsy plastic cases with a couple of thin bits of foam in them to transport a rifle to and from matches etc.

    Pelican seem to be the ultimate, but then you pay a lot for them. Anyone got something that's a bit cheaper than Pelican (I'm looking at the Storm 3300i or 1750 size - around $550) that they rate? Want to have either pluck foam, or ideally closed cell foam that I can cut to fit.

    The one that I have come across that looks good is the Polyproof 1120i or 1308i, sold by www.fiasco.co.nz

    Anything else out there to look at?

    Cheers
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

  2. #2
    MSL
    MSL is offline
    Member MSL's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Waikato
    Posts
    3,281
    I had two 1750ís, brought for $300 and $280 second hand, sold them for the same money. They are pretty bloody good, hold two scoped rifles and are seriously tough. Overkill if you only need to transport one rifle though.
    shift14 likes this.

  3. #3
    Member Cordite's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    NZ Mainland
    Posts
    3,184
    Try the non-gun option of electric guitar hard cases. $105 only, this case weighs 5kg.

    Internal dimensions 104 cm Length, 33 cm Width, 8 cm Depth

    with internal compartment for stuff. May need to alter a bit for gun, but stick music stickers all over it and you won't attract the wrong kind of attention to yourself.

    https://www.trademe.co.nz/music-inst...ebf8204deb1d1a

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    904
    And I bought one of MSLs ones, love it. Throw it off a cliff and it'd be sweet

  5. #5
    Member gadgetman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    14,731
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Try the non-gun option of electric guitar hard cases. $105 only, this case weighs 5kg.

    Internal dimensions 104 cm Length, 33 cm Width, 8 cm Depth

    with internal compartment for stuff. May need to alter a bit for gun, but stick music stickers all over it and you won't attract the wrong kind of attention to yourself.

    https://www.trademe.co.nz/music-inst...ebf8204deb1d1a
    I was thinking keyboard case. Bit chunky though.

    https://www.trademe.co.nz/music-inst...2004851647.htm
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

  6. #6
    Member Cordite's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    NZ Mainland
    Posts
    3,184
    Here is a soft guitar case which is long enough internally to even take a SMLE. Shoulder straps, decent carry handles.

    It is actually an electric bass guitar case. $55 gets you better construction, and 20mm padding compared to the usual 5mm padding in the $10 cases.

    Internal Dimensions :- 120cm Long, 38cm Wide, 8.5cm Deep (as it's a bag these sizes are approximate).

    https://www.trademe.co.nz/music-inst...d54bc102fee763

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    463
    Quote Originally Posted by The Claw View Post
    Thinking of buying something a bit nicer than the $60-$70 flimsy plastic cases with a couple of thin bits of foam in them to transport a rifle to and from matches etc.

    Pelican seem to be the ultimate, but then you pay a lot for them. Anyone got something that's a bit cheaper than Pelican (I'm looking at the Storm 3300i or 1750 size - around $550) that they rate? Want to have either pluck foam, or ideally closed cell foam that I can cut to fit.

    The one that I have come across that looks good is the Polyproof 1120i or 1308i, sold by www.fiasco.co.nz

    Anything else out there to look at?

    Cheers
    I have the 1750.
    Expensive but very good.
    Can take 2 normal sized scoped rifles or one large scopes target type rifle.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    shift14 likes this.

  8. #8
    Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Gore
    Posts
    1,607
    Thanks for the suggestions. Seems like the Pelican might be worth the (2nd hand) money. Anyone (@MSL) thats had a pelican case compared it to the cheaper options? If so, what's your thoughts? Cheers

    Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Whangarei
    Posts
    353
    I brought closed cell foam from para rubber and replaced all the pluckable foam. Holds 2 rifles with less morement.

  10. #10
    Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Gore
    Posts
    1,607
    Quote Originally Posted by ZQLewis View Post
    I brought closed cell foam from para rubber and replaced all the pluckable foam. Holds 2 rifles with less morement.
    What case do you have? That's probably what I'd do. Get a couple pieces of foam for different rifles

    Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

  11. #11
    MB
    MB is offline
    Member MB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Whangarei
    Posts
    876
    The Claw and gadgetman like this.

  12. #12
    Member 199p's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Palmerston North
    Posts
    3,065
    Greg makes some fine wooden cases

    Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    chainsaw likes this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

  13. #13
    Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Gore
    Posts
    1,607
    Quote Originally Posted by 199p View Post
    Greg makes some fine wooden cases

    Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Greg?

    Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

  14. #14
    Member 199p's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Palmerston North
    Posts
    3,065
    Quote Originally Posted by The Claw View Post
    Greg?

    Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    Kiwigreg

    Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Land of the Long White Cloud
    Posts
    1,001
    Some of those Pelican type cases are fuckin' heavy. Like 12 kg heavy for a Pelican 1750. Empty!

    Something to consider if you're flying with them or even just taking a couple of guns to the range.

    A cheap hard case, with an additional layer of closed cell sleeping mat foam between the plastic sides and the soft foam, should give more than enough protection.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Hard Case
    By Skitsokiwi in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-05-2017, 09:21 PM
  2. Rifle Hard Case
    By TheChosenOne in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 19-02-2017, 07:35 PM
  3. Hard Case
    By Tahr in forum Hunting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-01-2015, 04:25 AM
  4. WTB Hard Case
    By Dougie in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-05-2013, 07:26 PM
  5. Hard Gun Case
    By BRADS in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 15-01-2013, 08:14 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!