Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Has anyone tried the cheap trademe scopes?

Banned

Has anyone tried the cheap trademe scopes?

I saw this one trademe for $7.08 shipped. They recommend them for air rifles, but I want to try it with my Jaguar crossbow. Has anyone tried these?

https://trademe.nz/marketplace/sport...ing/1977025095

I got a cheap trade me scope that made things smaller. If jou are going to get one just go straight to ali express and cut out some middle mans clip.

rule #1 dont but cheap scopes on air rifles
    they can bugger them quicker than a 308 can
    gadgetman, Steve123 and TianBotha like this.

Banned
    How so? Has this happened to you?

Quote Originally Posted by DaleGribble View Post
    How so? Has this happened to you?
    A spring piston air rife will shake cheap scopes to bits with the dual direction recoil impulse (ie rearwards and then forwards).
    The forward motion is the one that most scopes are not engineered for.
    Air rifle scopes are specifically engineered for this.

However the one in the link is a piece of crap. You may as well look through a coke bottle.
    If you are determined to get crap, do as Steve said, just buy direct from Ali-Express and cut out the middle man.

Trademe is basically full of cheap/crap airsoft optics. Buyer be warned.
    tetawa and northdude like this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

only thing harder on a scope is a crossbow

The only fail safe way to get the right scope is to go to a shop. Eye relief is the critical decider.
    Most firearm accessories sold on trademe are crap made from melted down beer cans in some dodgy back ally shed in the most backwards place in China.
    dannyb likes this.

Crossbows put all sorts of stress on a scope you need to buy one that is designed for the job their are some good Chinese made scopes but they are
    just as pricey as Brand name scopes but the wankers on TM don't import them,
    Go to a good Archery shop and get one recommended for crossbows you will have some come back if it fails.
    tetawa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    A spring piston air rife will shake cheap scopes to bits with the dual direction recoil impulse (ie rearwards and then forwards).
    The forward motion is the one that most scopes are not engineered for.
    Air rifle scopes are specifically engineered for this.

However the one in the link is a piece of crap. You may as well look through a coke bottle.
    If you are determined to get crap, do as Steve said, just buy direct from Ali-Express and cut out the middle man.

Trademe is basically full of cheap/crap airsoft optics. Buyer be warned.
    Add the horizontal / vertical vibrations of the main piston spring. Either way, a multidirectional stress on a acope. Aquality springer air rifle scope and a quality centrefire scope are not necessarily interchangeable. Definitely do not put a cheap scope on a apringer air rifle.

The one you linked in OP is really crappy, I bought it for an air rifle as well and you can't even sight it in the knobs literally don't work. Not all Chinesium trademe scopes are terrible though, I put a 3-9x42 I got for $100 on my SKS and it does the job really well. Holds zero and I hit what I aim at, haven't had any issues with it.

DaleGribble likes this.

Banned
    I've had a cheap scope on my crossbow for a while, it has never caused any problems

Just never ever forget cheaper is always better.......except when it isn't......which is the majority of the time .....always......

@DaleGribble give it a go. What's to lose? Couple of bucks?
    Let us know how you get on.
    Ya can't park there mate.

Banned
    Yea might do, I bought a scoped crossbow off trademe a few years ago, it works good enough, but the scope mount had missing screws, so it would be good to get something without missing parts

You're buying a scope that will be sent from the UK for about the price of a large cup of coffee... what could go wrong? This sounds sarcastic, but I mean it seriously. If you only get a weeks use out of it, you're still 6 days ahead of spending the same money on coffee! And maybe it will work and last for years. Obviously you are not expecting $500 worth of value.

I'm interested though, I know nothing about crossbows, are they accurate enough and long range enough to actually need a scope?