Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Height and Length of Stock in Relation to Scope

Height and Length of Stock in Relation to Scope

I'm just interested in knowing how many people here have thought about and taken steps to adjust the comb height , length of pull etc , and the scope - mounts of their Rifles so that they are looking straight through the scope when they mount the rifle correctly .
    I was at a Rifle range last week helping a friend who is new to shooting sight in his new rifle .
    While I was there I witnessed some of the worst set ups of Scope - mounts - stock shapes I've ever seen .
    How people shoot with those badly configured combinations is a mystery to me .
    I personally have spend a lot if time , effort and money setting up my own rifle to get it to where it fits me like a Shotgun .
    When I raise it to my shoulder my eye is perfectly centred in the scope without a hint of moving my head around .
    Am I alone when I consider the fit of a Rifle is no less important than that of a Shotgun ?

Ken
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

I dont shoot a shotgun much but its very important on my rifles.

yep ended up with extra low rings, sometimes youll need to add cheek weld for higher scope mounts due to the objective size

I hate wearing my ear muffs when shooting my AR, as due to the co-witness set up of the scope and the irons, the muffs are sitting on the butt stock.
    But better to suffer than being deaf, so I may make a pad of neoprene or something similar.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    I hate wearing my ear muffs when shooting my AR, as due to the co-witness set up of the scope and the irons, the muffs are sitting on the butt stock.
    But better to suffer than being deaf, so I may make a pad of neoprene or something similar.
    Try some ear plugs mate.

It's critical and I spent ages getting it all set up correctly on my R8. Including modifying the stock to increase LOP.

Quote Originally Posted by Proudkiwi View Post
    It's critical and I spent ages getting it all set up correctly on my R8. Including modifying the stock to increase LOP.
    LOP? for a dummie

Length of pull

I have orangutan arms
    Toby likes this.

I haven't adjusted mine to much. With the t3 a d the rail even with low rings its to high. I g9t some foam to increase the comb to get consist cheek weld but got annoyed and brought another rifle
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Quote Originally Posted by Proudkiwi View Post
    Length of pull

I have orangutan arms
    Ah I work with sticking the butt into the crook of my arm (elbow) and the meaty part of my finger tip on my trigger finger should rest nicely on the trigger. Its a good way I have found for sizing rifles to me

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Ah I work with sticking the butt into the crook of my arm (elbow) and the meaty part of my finger tip on my trigger finger should rest nicely on the trigger. Its a good way I have found for sizing rifles to me

Try mounting the gun and get someone to measure the distance between your nose and your thumb . Try to get that distance approx 40 mm .
    The elbow thing doesn't take into account a lot of things in regards to what the correct LOP is for you , for example how long your neck is and where you position your cheek on the comb as well as your facial dimensions .
    The position of your finger on the trigger blade is determined by the grip shape and size of your hand .
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ground Control View Post
    Try mounting the gun and get someone to measure the distance between your nose and your thumb . Try to get that distance approx 40 mm .
    The elbow thing doesn't take into account a lot of things in regards to what the correct LOP is for you , for example how long your neck is and where you position your cheek on the comb as well as your facial dimensions .
    The position of your finger on the trigger blade is determined by the grip shape and size of your hand .
    Ken
    Your method doesnt take into account nose size

Lol

The traditional method of measuring LOP using the trigger as a reference point is a controversial thing .
    It is used usually because there isn't a better alternative as a constant over all makes and models. If you ever get fitted for a Shotgun by a proper Gunfitter and not a pretend expert then they will set the length of the stock by a method similar to what I've mentioned above , then your preferred trigger position will be worked out , that's half the reason why most higher grade shotguns have triggers that can be moved backwards and forwards .
    Of course if your really flush with money and you are getting a bespoke gun made for you all of those dimensions are built into the gun right from the beginning even to the extent of action length and depth .

Ken
    Gibo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    Another factor is the shooting position you mostly intend to use with the rifle.

Prone requires a much different fit to offhand...
    Yes this, most rifles I have owned fit me well(I think, I have never been "fitted" for any rifle or gun) but for prone shooting would like a higher cheek piece.
    Other peoples rifles I have used set up for prone shooting gave a real solid cheek weld but were unsuitable for off hand for me.
    Kimbers feel short in the stock to me but that may be because the owner of the ones I have tried likes the scope set more rearward than I or the LOP is shorter I don't know.

As a kid I did a fair amount of rabbit/hare hunting with a shotty,It was a Lambergun? OU.
    I shot really well with it and thought it fit me until I had my first go at clays in a work team shoot when I started my apprenticeship, I shot pretty well but at the end of the day I could barely talk and the whole side of my face had swollen up
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    I adjust the rifle stock with a pack if it doesn't feel right, say if I have to lift my head a fraction when shouldering for shot to be comfortable through the scope.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?