Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Mathias
  • 1 Post By Bos
  • 2 Post By csmiffy
  • 1 Post By Bos

Thread: Help needed from Sako Vixen Owners/Gurus

Help needed from Sako Vixen Owners/Gurus

Hi all,

Just nabbed a Sako Vixen L461 (late 60's early 70's) that someone has had reamed out from .222 to .223 at some point (last '2' is shoddily stamped as a '3'). Has UK proof marks on it to confirm it has been re-proofed (does not mean much!) Rifle is in pretty good and unmolested condition otherwise.

My question, anyone had or heard of this being done? Any negative effects? Heard of 22 Hornet to 222 conversions before. No way to tell who did the work and to what standard as I don't have a borescope. Hopefully fired brass comes out OK without 'reamer rings'.

The rifle in question took a 223 snap cap just fine (feed, 'fire', extract, eject). Hoping to get to a range soon for a proper test. Only running flat base .224 bullets around the 50 grain mark so hopefully it works fine with the factory barrel!

Got an OK deal out of it, original barrel with front mounted sight (not screw cut). Stock in pretty good nick along with blueing.

Look forward to getting some Roe doe action with it later. Pictures will be posted too!

Cheers.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Has been done here in NZ too, seen a few pop up for sale and personally knew of one. No problems at all with the lighter 50-55gr, you just have to be mindful of overall loaded length with the magazine on these.
    caberslash likes this.

Bos
    Yip. Bought a Vixen 222 and had it rechambered to 223 way back in the mid 90's. Only because I had an unlimited supply of ammo
    Tried loading some Sierra Match 55 Gr but didn't run any better than the Winchester factory ammo I had at the time.
    Should never have sold it - then decided a couple of years ago I had to have another one so found a mint 222.
    Awesome little rifle, shot deer pigs and Chamois with it. Never had any problems with it. Someone will still have it - could be you!
    caberslash likes this.

Isnt that what was done to the nz police rifles years ago?
    Moa Hunter and caberslash like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bos View Post
    Yip. Bought a Vixen 222 and had it rechambered to 223 way back in the mid 90's. Only because I had an unlimited supply of ammo
    Tried loading some Sierra Match 55 Gr but didn't run any better than the Winchester factory ammo I had at the time.
    Should never have sold it - then decided a couple of years ago I had to have another one so found a mint 222.
    Awesome little rifle, shot deer pigs and Chamois with it. Never had any problems with it. Someone will still have it - could be you!
    I would be very impressed if that rifle made it all the way to the UK!

If you remember/have record of the serial number I could send it to you and check.

Bos
    sorry mate
    didn't see your location. Don't have any details sorry
    caberslash likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    Isnt that what was done to the nz police rifles years ago?
    No, they were all .222’s

Getting back to the OP a mate has a Sako .222 which was teamed out to .223 and it shoots fine so you shouldn’t have any issues with yours

Put up some photos and how much did it cost you to buy as I know the Sako’s are cheaper over there than here

Not uncommon over here. Limitations are the twist rate for heavier projectiles and the short magazine length. If i recall correctly you had to set the barrel back a turn if it has sights on it, so may have a bit more room between barrel and stock?

Quote Originally Posted by Seventenths View Post
    No, they were all .222’s

Getting back to the OP a mate has a Sako .222 which was teamed out to .223 and it shoots fine so you shouldn’t have any issues with yours

Put up some photos and how much did it cost you to buy as I know the Sako’s are cheaper over there than here
    Good to hear, just got a range of projectiles to try along with a box of dirt cheap Tula just to get on paper first.

Having trouble putting pics up. Rifle is in good/ very good condition but not mint. Paid £900 which is just under 1,800 NZD at the moment.

Found out it was proofed at the London proof house after the conversion. Pretty tight chambering on the dummy rounds I made so hopefully done well.

Overall would say worth it as most examples over here have been chopped for a moderator, had the stock ruined through modification and sometimes a replacement barrel put on which ruins the balance of this nice rifle.

When/if I do need to rebarrel I will be keeping factory contour, not too thick or thin, just a bit thinner than those on the new Tikka T1x but balances in a similar way.

Next step is getting on a range then hopefully will get out hunting!

Alright guys bit of a speedbump here, hoping it's not rooted.

Made up some dummy rounds and tried to chamber them but there was a lot of resistance (like what you get on fired brass that needs resizing). This was on brand new Norma brass.

Tried some factory rounds with the firing pin removed and would not close nicely on Sako, Tulammo (suspect undersized for semi's closed OK but still more resistance compared to nothing in chamber.

Looks like the guy who did the .222 to .223 conversion short chambered it. Got a pal sending me some headspace gauges to check before it goes back to the dealer.

Not a good sign as I checked and found that one of the lugs has some galling...

Would have thought the proof house would have picked up on this....

Have attached some pics if they come up. Hoping to get ut going as it is in good condition otherwise.

Name:  20201015_120343.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  1.29 MB

Name:  20201015_120301.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  1.48 MB

Name:  20201015_121612.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  723.0 KB

Name:  20201015_121633.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  750.9 KB

As always, if it sounds too good to be true it probably is. Unless someone passed on or needed cash desperately you would not sell a good rifle...