Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Help rate these scopes

Question Help rate these scopes

Hi All,

I only recently joined here, and thought to save a ton of potentially one-sided or sales-like google searches, I’d ask opinions on these scopes that I have recently been given. These are a mixed bag of four scopes all relatively new and most only lightly used (if at all). I’m not after selling these, just trying to figure out which ones are decent and if any are suitable for larger calibers or just bunny-gun material. Your thoughts appreciated!

1. Nikon Buckmasters II 4-12 x 40
    2. Leupold VX-2 3-9 x 40
    3. Minox ZV-3 3-9 x 40
    4. Tasco World Class 3-9 x 40 (this one seems pretty old)

I have a range of old and cheap scopes on my rifles (Bushnell, Burris, Nikko) and wondering which of these are best paired with 243, 223, 22LR

Thanks!

put the leupold on either the 223 or 243...it will be a good reliable scope
    the tascos were good in the day...unless its fogged poke it on the other centrefire
    minox...not sure if its a elcheapho brand or really good..someone else will.
    the nikon would be awesome on 22lr.
    bigkuri likes this.

Thanks for that. TBH I had never heard of Minox of Nikon doing scopes - shows how little I browse the stores I guess. The Minox is stamped Germany, but has a really free-turning parralax ring which seems a strange idea.
    CBH Australia likes this.

minox zv are the china made model only ok just like any other Chinese made low $ scope but the other minox za's are assembled in usa with german schott glass awesome value for glass quality

Nikon for the 243 for extra range and magnification
    vx2 for the 223 should be enough magnification for the range/caliber
    tasco and minox for the 22

both minox za's and some nikons are awesome bang for buck scopes nikon just stopped production of scopes or scaled back recently i think
    Last edited by Carbine; 29-09-2021 at 01:35 PM.
    erniec, 6x47, Moa Hunter and 2 others like this.

Buckmasters gen 1 were really really good. I had a couple and upgraded to Monarchs (not because the Buckmasters were bad, I just wanted some different features). Not so sure about the gen 2, heard a few bad things about them.

I've had a good run out of a 3-9x40 Buckmaster II on my 223. I'm actually just about to put it on my 303 which should test it really well! The only reason I swapped it was because I scored a new Bushnell Elite 4500 2.5-10X40 at a good price
    Micky Duck likes this.

Thanks all, some good insight and suggestions here. So the question seems to be the Leo or Nikon for the sako 243 (my main rifle). The 223 has an old Bushnell, but it's been very good and consistent so I'm loath to touch it. Mixed and confusing reviews on the VX2 versus Bushmaster II. But maybe that just means can't go too wrong with either!

At least you will have a few spares just in case one fogs up or you damage one.

leupold all day long on main rifle......it should be the most reliable long term and if heaven forbid it ever has issue...send it back to leupold and they will fix it.... or to pot it another way...my 270 wears a fixed 4x loopy
    the 223 a 3x9 loopy
    the 22-250 3x9 loopy
    spare scope is a loopy.
    CBH Australia likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    leupold all day long on main rifle......it should be the most reliable long term and if heaven forbid it ever has issue...send it back to leupold and they will fix it.... or to pot it another way...my 270 wears a fixed 4x loopy
    the 223 a 3x9 loopy
    the 22-250 3x9 loopy
    spare scope is a loopy.
    clearly a tainted opinion
    Marty Henry and inozz like this.

do still have a burris on 22lr and a kahles on 7mm mag.......but the 7mm mag is safe queen and the 22lr may just end up with BIG spare loopy on it yet LOL.
    Carbine, inozz and CBH Australia like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbine View Post
    clearly a tainted opinion
    Actually when it comes to their rifle scopes, most people have a very one eyed view.
    erniec, sapphire, inozz and 1 others like this.

Not me, I have a united nations of them, a nikon, 2 nikko sterling nighteaters, 3 vortexs, a loopy vx1, 2 weavers, a hawke and a bushnell plus a few that decorate the top of the safe.
    Only one is a duplex reticle (the loopy), all the others are either mil or bdc types as I find them much better to use.
    Carbine and sig4x4 like this.

I think those night eaters are way underrated. I had a sling break on me and rifle landed on eyepeice end of scope. Bent the tube by the ring and couldn't remove the bolt as scope was to low. Had a few days hunting so single fed a few rounds to check zero.... Was an inch high. Just took abit of moving ya head to find a good picture.

Thanks again for the comments and thoughts.

I ended up putting the Leupold on the sako 243, Nikon on the sako 22, the Tasco on the older 22, and the Minolta spare. The 223 kept its old Bushnell.

It seems a bit strange having the 4-12 on a wee 22; but I tend to snipe bunnies from a distance, and the VX2 is a much lighter scope which is nice on the big 243.