Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: HELP - scope click values on S&B scope

HELP - scope click values on S&B scope

Hi guys, I need help here. I want a FFP scope with mil-dot reticle & is like a simple elevation turret to quickly dial up elevation up to a min of 1 mill so I can for example (if I need to take a shot that requires 1.7mil I can hold over 1 mil-dit on The reticule & dial 7clicks on the elevation turret to give 1.7mils).
    I found a Schmidt & bender 3-12x50 klassic LM P3L ASV H scope that I thought perfect BUT the numbers on the turret don’t make sense to me because I would have thought if each click was 0.1cm then each 5th click would have a line and at 10 clicks that would be 1mil. I’ve attached pic.
    My question is “is this Scope in 0.1cm clicks and can I disregard the numbers and use as a mil dial scope”?
    Can’t get a straight answer from agents in nz
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Let your “yes” be yes & your “no” be no (matthew 5:37)

Greetings,
    The manufacturers data says it is 1 cm at 100 metres or 0.1 milliradians (0.1 mrad). This is slightly more than 0.1 mils. I think that the hash marks are .05 mrad which adds up to .2 mrad for the first number. That would make sense. You might want to test it once it is on the rifle.
    Regards Grandpamac.

Thanks @grandpamac but if each has mark was 0.2 Mrad then I’d expect the first number to be on the 5th click (not the 4th) as the turret numbers are placed. I’m really confused. The instruction book says each click 0.1 cm @ 100m but the numbers on the turret for the click increments are every 4th click!

May have been converted to 1/4 moa clicks ? One moa = 1.142" @ 100m= approx 0.7cm
    In mills this would equate to 0.7cm per click @ 100m or 0.61cm @ 100yards)
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

the numbers/graduations on the turret seem to indicate its moa not mils

you can easily check by setting up a marked (graduated) piece of paper (exactly) 100 yards. Do markings in both inches and cm's on the paper. Dial the scope to "5" or "10" on your dial and measure how far it moves.

@chainsaw, so will the clicks still be 0.1mil Each click (I.e if I ignored the numbers and just went on clicks As 10 clicks = 1 mil @ 100m would this work). Thus, if I got a new turret numbering it would be all good?). Cheers

I suspect the clicks are 0.1 mrad but there are 5 clicks between each hash mark so the 2 stands for 2 mrad. You can check this without the scope on the rifle. The hash marks are well spaced so you can judge to the nearest 0.1 mrad. Finally please do not confuse milliradians and Mils. 1 mil is equal to 0.98 mrad. Not a big difference and can be ignored at closer range but will need to be considered at long range. The confusion between the units is due to our american cousins being pretty careless with terminology.
    Regards Grandpamac.

Thanks for your reply @grandpamac but the numbers correspond to every 4th click. For example, there are 3 small hash marks between 1&2 and Then another 3 small hash marks between 2&3 etc. Each click corresponds to A hash mark. I’ve confirmed that From 1 it's 8 clicks to 3. Going further, it’s 20 clicks to the number 7...
    I’m beginning to think that the clicks are in fact 0.1mrad and the turret numbering corresponds to Inches @ 100m (I.e 1 inch, 2inch, 3inch etc..). Would this make sense if each click is 10mm @ 100m (same as 0.360 inch at 100m).
    If this is correct, can I disregard the numbers and just count on the clicks being 0.1cm @ 100m (which is 1mrad??)

See if you can set up some kind of target at a measured 25 meters. You can do it at home. Draw some lines of it..maybe a 10cm long line and mark each centimetre...
    Point your scope at it, so its resting by itself, and spin the knob...see if it moves 1cm per 4 clicks at that distance..if it does then you know each click is .1mils.

Of course you can use whatever distance you want, but 25m, 50m and 100m will be nice and round and easy..
    if its .1 mil clicks then

at 25m 4 clicks will be 1 cm
    50m 2 clicks will be 1 cm
    100m 1 clicks will be 1 cm.

or just go to 100m range. Shoot a hole into target, crank elevation up a bunch of clicks then see how much POI has gone up..would be very obvious with like 16 clicks. If it’s .1mil impact should go up 16cm, if moa it’ll go up about 10cm. Should be enough difference between adjustments with that many clicks to easily tell even accounting for shooter / rifle consistency problems. No more guessing
    Last edited by ChrisW; 13-07-2020 at 06:20 PM.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

looking at the owners manual online the "H" means its got BDC turrets fitted that are marked specifically for a caliber. The P3L is the reticle and is a Mil dot reticle. With a Mil reticle it should have MRAD turrets - if you undo the coin slot on the top i think you can expose the turrets below that should indicate click value
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by B.pope View Post
    Thanks for your reply @grandpamac but the numbers correspond to every 4th click. For example, there are 3 small hash marks between 1&2 and Then another 3 small hash marks between 2&3 etc. Each click corresponds to A hash mark. I’ve confirmed that From 1 it's 8 clicks to 3. Going further, it’s 20 clicks to the number 7...
    I’m beginning to think that the clicks are in fact 0.1mrad and the turret numbering corresponds to Inches @ 100m (I.e 1 inch, 2inch, 3inch etc..). Would this make sense if each click is 10mm @ 100m (same as 0.360 inch at 100m).
    If this is correct, can I disregard the numbers and just count on the clicks being 0.1cm @ 100m (which is 1mrad??)
    Curious and Curiouser,
    Assuming that the 1 cm at 100 metres is correct then the number 1 corresponds to 40 mm or a little over 1.5 inches at 100 metres. I think that the only way to be sure is to do a box test by mounting the scope on a rifle and seeing how far 10 or 20 clicks takes you at 100 metres. You could also dial on 2 whatever they ares to see what that comes too as well. All else should become clear at this point. 1 mrad (10 clicks?) is exactly 100 mm at 100 metres. The Military needed a round number for their artillery and adopted 6,400 mils to a full circle versus 6,283 mrad to a full circle. 0.1 mrad (or 1 cm at 100 metres) equals 0.36 inches at 100 yards and 0.394 inches at 100 metres. Leupold scopes are calibrated in mrad and so marked. I am sure the manufacturers had a clear plan of what they were trying to achieve when the scope was made, you just need to nut out what is was.
    Regards Grandpamac.

Quote Originally Posted by B.pope View Post
    @chainsaw, so will the clicks still be 0.1mil Each click (I.e if I ignored the numbers and just went on clicks As 10 clicks = 1 mil @ 100m would this work). Thus, if I got a new turret numbering it would be all good?). Cheers
    Pretty much what @ChrisW has also stated.
    Pick a distance, and wind up or down a decent number of clx 10 or 20 or so, but make it an easy number and multiple of 10. Then measure how much your POA moves.
    if its dialing moa, then 10clx at 100 yards = 2.5 inches. If its mils then its going to be around 3.3 inches. Dialing a larger number of clx will exaggerate the difference. You need to have the scope "locked down" into firm position so it doesn't move (at all) when you dial and best lined up with poa near top of your graduated marks. When you dial up the poa will move down.

After reading Shadowsol's post perhaps the numbers relate to 100 metres of range. Something more to check. Well B.pope, I'm having fun, hope you are too. At the end of all this you will still have a neat S&B scope and a tale to tell as well.
    Grandpamac.

Just had another look at the turrets. The first hash mark is 1. I think Shadowsol has cracked it.