Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Tentman
  • 3 Post By grandpamac
  • 1 Post By grandpamac

Thread: Henry Single Shot Rifle

Henry Single Shot Rifle

Thinking of getting one in 308 after the lockdown. Chop it down to 20 inches and suppressing it.

Going to be used for short range goats and pigs.

Anyone had one of these before?

https://www.guncity.com/308-henry-si...ed-wood-357573

Hey - you just stole my park (just kidding!)

I've been looking at the same sort of thing since the "Reloaders" catalog came out with a lot of very temping pictures . . . there are TC Encores and G2 Contenders becoming available but they are pricy at nearly $2k (there is a 308 SS Encore I know of in a gunshop for $1350)

After reading a lot of reviews and opinions I think I have a plan developing . . . . but its iteration #47 and for those that know me, its quite likely to get to #63 before I decide (I am a master of procrastination according to my wife).

I think the Begara BA13 are the most "bang for buck" trade off for quality/performance/aesthetics and they are readily available in a variety of calibres. The biggest issue for some will be their weight, they will be at least 500-750 gms heavier than a light G2 Contender) In 308 it should run a 125 gn at 2500 fps (a slightly reduced load optimised for smaller suppressors) quite readily from a 16" barrel and be pleasant to shoot.
    Synthetic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    Hey - you just stole my park (just kidding!)

I've been looking at the same sort of thing since the "Reloaders" catalog came out with a lot of very temping pictures . . . there are TC Encores and G2 Contenders becoming available but they are pricy at nearly $2k (there is a 308 SS Encore I know of in a gunshop for $1350)

After reading a lot of reviews and opinions I think I have a plan developing . . . . but its iteration #47 and for those that know me, its quite likely to get to #63 before I decide (I am a master of procrastination according to my wife).

I think the Begara BA13 are the most "bang for buck" trade off for quality/performance/aesthetics and they are readily available in a variety of calibres. The biggest issue for some will be their weight, they will be at least 500-750 gms heavier than a light G2 Contender) In 308 it should run a 125 gn at 2500 fps (a slightly reduced load optimised for smaller suppressors) quite readily from a 16" barrel and be pleasant to shoot.
    I think the Henry is about the same weight. 7lb bare

Greetings All,
    My son turned up here the other day with a Henry SS in 45-70. A nice looking rifle. He said he was in Gun City and they were on special and you know the rest. Plans are for cast bullet loads with smokeless for now at least.
    Grandpamac.
    Micky Duck, Phil_H and Synthetic like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_H View Post
    Look forward to some updates on that @grandpamac., especially using the Henry. Have and love my .308 Bergara, but always looking at other single shots and either side of the .308 calibre as well.

Cheers
    Phil
    Greetings Phil,
    Those Bergara's are infectious aren't they. I got one a year or two back. Mine, also a .308 with the 20 inch barrel now has a DPT muzzle forward can and a 1.5 to 5 power scope. I do a bit of bush wandering and the rifle breaks down nicely to go in my pack. 38 grains of AR2206H behind 150 grain projectiles gives a nice soft load, even softer with the can on. We just need to get out of this lock down and off we go.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    paremata likes this.