Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heym Rifles

Heym Rifles

Dose anyone know who or if we have an importer/Agent for heym Firearms in NZ

Mainly hunting in wellington used to do them

There was an agent on the SI west coast who advertised them quite a bit a few years ago (maybe 8 years ago?). Flash colour ads, but that's all I remember.

Here's the last trace of them in NZ I can find.

http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaB...=1254094409/18

Is posting this link illegal or anything?

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Stoeger? Sports is the one I think you are thinking off Tahr

And that link.... 50 lashes!

AAAAArrgggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!! Not the dark side!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Machete don't text!
    (.)(.) = :-)))

Heym Rifles

Try Sportways Gunshed in Auckland, they can source Heym.

The agent used to be Mike from Westcoast but no more.

Which model are you after?

the 2 bolt actions I saw were pretty ordinary, one of the mags did a write up and their one didnt shoot too well also...

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclist View Post
    the 2 bolt actions I saw were pretty ordinary, one of the mags did a write up and their one didnt shoot too well also...
    Yes, I remember the write up. It was by Tracey Short.

Im looking at going to see some rallys in South Africa and having a hunt while there Im looking at the 88-B pro hunter

The 88B is a great double rifle, what calibre are you looking at?

not sure on caliber yet bet I see the 450 nitro is regulated with Hornady ammo

The 450/400 3" N.E. is a great cartridge, but I'd rather get the 470NE if you are looking at the 450NE.
    Better resale and better ammo availability.

A mate's Heym 470NE is regulated for Federal ammo and my Merkel 470NE for Norma,
    Its easy enough to duplicate the loads with a crony and given that supply of factory ammo in NZ has been scarce/limited for these types of calibres I'd recommend handloading for it.
    and get a copy of G. Wright's book - Shooting the British Double Rifle - it has some great info on shooting doubles including load data.

here is my Merkel - Merkel 470 - YouTube
    and another with both of them - Duelling 470NE - Heym vs Merkel - YouTube

Once you get a double you wont look back!

Hendrick470 what is "regulated"? explain please.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Regulation refers to getting the two barrels to shoot to the same point of impact at a specified distance with a specified load.

Quoted from Wikipedia: - Double rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regulation of the two barrels is the trial-and-error, time-consuming, painstaking adjustment of the two barrels (and powder charges) prior to permanently fitting the "rib" between the barrels. During regulation of the barrels, the two barrels are mated to the rifle's frame and butt-stock, but the permanent "rib" that goes between the two barrels is not yet installed. Instead, the rifle builder will braze a "temporary" metal wedge between the two muzzles, fire each barrel at a target at a specified distance, then note the point of impact of each projectile on the target, comparing where the projectile fired from the first barrel strikes in relationship to the projectile fired from the second barrel. If the points of impact for the two projectiles on the target are outside the rifle builder's specific parameters, further regulation is called for, with adjustments made to the powder charge and/or the rifle barrels themselves. If the barrels themselves require adjustment, the solder holding the metal wedge in place is heated—freeing up the metal wedge—then the metal wedge is carefully moved incrementally forward, backward, or replaced entirely with a different-sized metal wedge. Each time moving or replacing the metal wedge is called for, the rifle builder must heat the soft solder, move or replace the metal wedge, then solder and test-shoot all over again.
    The additional trial-and-error shooting and barrel/powder-charge adjustments go on until the projectiles of both barrels finally strike the target within the builder's specified parameters. Once the builder deems the double rifle is properly "regulated," the metal "rib" is added between the barrels, permanently mating the barrels together. The builder will then specify the exact projectile weight and powder charge used to keep the barrels "in regulation," and this information will be stamped into the metal flats on the top of the frame, underneath the barrels. If, at some later point in time, the shooter of a double rifle chooses to use a bullet weight and/or powder charge that is different than what the firearm was originally regulated for, the firearm will most likely require re-regulation. During the barrel-regulation process, some double rifles will easily "fall into regulation," while others will require considerable time and effort to obtain proper regulation—which adds to the labor cost and overall expense of the firearm.
    By their very design, the two barrels of the double rifle must be aligned very precisely (but this does not mean in parallel) in order for the projectiles to strike at the same point of impact, or nearly so, at a given distance - usually not more than 300 metres (980 ft), and often much less. The alignment of the barrels is done so that the two projectiles will actually converge at a specified distance, whatever is deemed best for the given caliber and expected range of the quarry. Regarding sights, many modern double rifles will accept mounts to fit a telescopic sight, but most double rifles, particularly those used for dangerous game, are fitted with open sights.

it is the 450 nitro express cartridge I was looking at not the 450/400