Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Nick-D
  • 2 Post By hamsav
  • 2 Post By ChrisW
  • 1 Post By Fat ninja

Thread: holographic reflex sights

holographic reflex sights

The rabbits are driving my dear old Dad ( 80+ ) to despair on his property . He has been bommin them up with the ole shottie .....out various windows and ....well.....they are faster than him and as a consequence have become very well educated and the slightest movement around the windows sends them scurrying off , he assures me that they ( not what he called them ) stop 6 inches out of sight. I don't think the shot gun ( diamond grade Winchester O U 12 gauge ) is really the ideal tool as there is some trouble getting the busness end out the window while Peter is still in view and the top of every undulation in the lawn has a divot missing out of it , and Mother is growing weary of the assault upon her ears....... and she don't like the loud bangs either . So , I figured that a short 22 with a can on the end might be better all round, and about 25 years ago he gave me his BSA sportsman 5 , I thought I might give it back albeit shortened , with a moderator AND maybe one of them holographic reflex sights . Are they any good ? . Max range would be 35m , most shots would be 20m ( the little cnuts parade about on the lawn and in the vegie garden right under his nose .....which sure don't help their cause ) and his eyes are pretty good but he struggles snap shooting with a scope ( he has a Marlin .17 varmint for bottom of the block shots ) . Are these sights as easy to use as they look like they might be ? . Im thinkin that if we can quiet the process down a bit the rabbits might get a bit more comfortable and thusly become a bit more shootable
    comments appreciated
    Vegetarians Bah !! . If god didn't want us to eat animals he wouldn't have made them out of meat ! .

Run a bushnell trs25 red dot on my 308.

Awesome im my opinion. I have shot deer out to 200 and in the head running down the road thats enough for me. So im sure theyd be awesome for rabbits
    Just get one with a 2MOA dot no bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by llewelyn View Post
    Run a bushnell trs25 red dot on my 308.

Awesome im my opinion. I have shot deer out to 200 and in the head running down the road thats enough for me. So im sure theyd be awesome for rabbits
    Just get one with a 2MOA dot no bigger.
    Agreed great wee sights. The one thing with dot sights and older eyes is that if you have any sort of astigmatism the dot tends to bloom and can appear larger. I have a very mild case so the dot appears like a star, still perfectly usable for me but I've heard some can make it unusable.

Perhaps a fixed 4 power or similar? See if somone on the forum has somthing
    dannyb likes this.

I tried a red dot and found that unless I shouldered the rifle exactly the same every time the results varied drastically, from standing,sitting,prone and rested etc, best bet would be to give one a try before you commit to one.
    I couldn't get results good enough to rely on but that's just me so I went back to a 3x9 and get fantastic results just leave it at 3x no time to muck about with zoom on short range bunnies.

if its a mint bsa id leave it alone the open sights would be best for the ranges hes doing wish I lived close id help get the population down

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    if its a mint bsa id leave it alone the open sights would be best for the ranges hes doing wish I lived close id help get the population down
    Yeah , it is pretty mint , I added a threaded hole to the tang and the rear trigger guard screw goes right thru to the tang . I guess ,in these modern days I tend to overlook open sights but the reason I never put a scope on it was coz never really needed it (I have pulled off some stunning fluke shots with this rifle )bullets just seem to find the target by themselves. Problem is that the gun works silencer I have is so big that you couldn't use the open sights. Might see if Harry is still making them silent kill slip on moderators......on tother hand there are plenty of scoped ,silenced jw15's on TM for under 200 bucks ....one even with the holo reflex sight
    northdude and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hamsav View Post
    on tother hand there are plenty of scoped ,silenced jw15's on TM for under 200 bucks ....one even with the holo reflex sight
    there's even a "Fully Custom one

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    I tried a red dot and found that unless I shouldered the rifle exactly the same every time the results varied drastically, from standing,sitting,prone and rested etc, best bet would be to give one a try before you commit to one.
    I couldn't get results good enough to rely on but that's just me so I went back to a 3x9 and get fantastic results just leave it at 3x no time to muck about with zoom on short range bunnies.
    Not all red dots are equal. The good ones have no parallax error so you can look through them any way, and as long as you can see the dot, the dot is on target.
    Real ones are excellent - Aimpoint, EOtech, iv not tried Holosun but im sure they will be good as well.

Iv also had a cheap "leapers" red dot, which was as you describe - horrible parallax making it pretty much unusable.

The real ones are honestly amazing.
    Cartman and dannyb like this.

I’ll second what Chris said.
    Cartman likes this.