Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

How to measure scope rings height ?

I have a Blaser R93 with a Picatinny rail base .
    I have been using some 30mm Burris Signature Zee Series for a few years now on a 7mm Rem Mag but the Burris rings just don't get the scope down low enough compared to a second base/rings combo I have for a 25mm tubed scope on my .223 ( I'm using old fashion Weaver rings which are about as low as you can buy ).
    I really like the Burris rings with their inserts etc but the lowest option they make is a Med which I have ( I wish they made a low ) .
    I would like to get the scope 4mm lower , that still would give clearance from the safety/cocking switch and the scopes eye piece which is the limiting factor on a Blaser .
    My question is how are rings measured for height when using a Weaver type attachment to the rail ?
    Do all manufactures use the same method so there is uniformity across the industry ?
    I'll probably end up buying some replacement rings from overseas so really want to know I'm ordering the right height .

Thanks .

Ken
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

Thanks , I finally worked out how to measure the height .
    Some manufactures measure from top of base to scope tube , others from base to centre of scope tube .
    After a few hours searching and asking on other forums I found that Ken Farrell rings from USA are the lowest quality ones around .
    Ordered and payed for , now just got to wait

Ken

Gone but not forgotten
    I had to do a double-take at your "lowest quality ones" statement, first thought was wtf would you buy the lowest quality ones, especially from overseas, plenty of low quality crap available locally!

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    I had to do a double-take at your "lowest quality ones" statement, first thought was wtf would you buy the lowest quality ones, especially from overseas, plenty of low quality crap available locally!

Maybe there should be a comma between lowest and quality .

Ken

Wars have started over inappropriate punctuation.

Thought I might post up this list of Picatinny scope ring heights incase anyone else is interested and in the market for some low rings .
    This was posted on another forum and is a list compiled over a period of time in the hunt for the lowest rings avaliable .

Ken