Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: How You Can Help Stop Anti-Gun Legislation

Exclamation How You Can Help Stop Anti-Gun Legislation

As I'm sure you are aware, we are currently facing some of the worst anti-gun legislation in our history.
    The proposals include registration of all firearms, which will put us all in the same position as the E Cat shooters who got completely screwed over.
    Seeking help for depression or other mental health issues would likely result in the police raiding your home to confiscate your firearms.
    Our once "lifetime" licences would be cut to five years, doubling their cost even without the fee increases(see below).
    Fees for licences and permits would be increased substantially in an attempt to put gun ownership out of reach of all but the most wealthy.
    An Arms Act Advisory Group would be established, and would be stacked with anti-gun activists appointed by police.
    That same committee would be involved in even more substantial changes to the Arms Act in the near future.
    Shooting ranges would be burdened with onerous regulations intended to make their operation unfeasible.
    That's just a few of many examples, but the rest is just as bad if not worse.

There is something we can do to stop the bill, though.
    Labour and the Greens are not surprisingly committed to pushing this legislation through, and they only take firearms advise from Nash and Cahill.
    However, National has stated they will oppose the bill, and ACT likely will as well.
    That just leaves NZ First and Jami-Lee Ross, who is currently independent.
    We need to focus all of our efforts on getting them to oppose this legislation.
    If we can do that, we can stop this bill. If passed, this bill will represent an existential threat to gun ownership and shooting sports in this country.
    It is always far more difficult to undo bad laws than it is to stop them from being passed in the first place.

If you ever write an email to anyone, write one to the all the NZ First MPs and Jami-Lee Ross.
    If you plan to continue owning firearms, I expect you to at least spend five minutes doing that, if nothing else.

Here are the NZ First email addresses:
    Darroch.Ball@parliament.govt.nz.; shane.jones@parliament.govt.nz.; jenny.marcroft@parliament.govt.nz.; ron.mark@parliament.govt.nz.; tracey.martin@parliament.govt.nz.; clayton.mitchell@parliament.govt.nz.; mark.patterson@parliament.govt.nz.; winston.peters@parliament.govt.nz.; Fletcher.Tabuteau@parliament.govt.nz.;

And here is Jami-Lee Ross' email: jami-lee.ross@parliament.govt.nz.

NZ First have made big promises to support lawful gun owners in the past.
    Now it's time to hold them to those promises. The ball's in your court.
    grunzter and Moa Hunter like this.
    "An experienced shooter of limited skill and dangerous enthusiasm." -Hitman: Blood Money newspaper

planenutz likes this.
    "An experienced shooter of limited skill and dangerous enthusiasm." -Hitman: Blood Money newspaper

Voted NZ First last time. Single issue vote. Why would I do that again..?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    308, Steve123, Cordite and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tiroahunta View Post

He is not asking you to vote for them. Labour and the greens NEED NZfirst to support them to pass the bill. If NZ First can be convinced to vote against this legislation then it wont pass. If it does pass then you might as well surrender all you firearms know and find something else to do......It it gets through this may have to become the New Zealand Knitting and Cooking forum......

Quote Originally Posted by tiroahunta View Post

He's not saying vote for them, just try get them to see our side and oppose the new legislation.
    Then election 2020 vote for someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    He's not saying vote for them, just try get them to see our side and oppose the new legislation.
    Then election 2020 vote for someone else.
    Exactly. I'm no fan of NZ First after they sold us out in April, but we need them to stop this legislation.
    I'd work with Satan himself if it got this legislation stopped. Whatever it takes.

Sorry, like Tiroahunta I won't vote for those turncoats again

I'm voting ACT this time as they were the only ones who even looked like showing a spine

Winnie the Pooh has had his chance with me and if I make the same mistake twice then I'm the fool here
    Steve123, gonetropo and outlander like this.

The only way to stop this legislation is to get NZ First to vote against it. ACT and National do not have the numbers to defeat it.
    The only other thing to do is to try and convince National to suggest amendments such as removing the shooting club bit and only firearms needing to be registered and have serial numbers before National will support it.
    Giving your votes to ACT will not defeat this legislation, David only has one vote.
    muaythai and Moa Hunter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    Sorry, like Tiroahunta I won't vote for those turncoats again

I'm voting ACT this time as they were the only ones who even looked like showing a spine

Winnie the Pooh has had his chance with me and if I make the same mistake twice then I'm the fool here
    @308 Again this is not about voting for who is in power. I agree NZ first sold us out, and I agree I will not be voting for them, but we all need to let them know that this is not OK.

In order to pas, this legislation needs more than half of MPs to vote for it on your behalf.

There are 46 Labour seats voting to pass this,
    There are 8 Green seats Voting to pass this,

There are 55 National seats voting against this bill,

And 9 NZ first seats ....

Neither party currently can get this bill passed or stopped without the support of NZ first. Hence we need NZ first to fully understand that this bill is not OK. IF NZ first is smart enough to vote with National against the bill, then it cannot pass into law. This is not about you voting for them, it is about getting them to vote for you.....
    veitnamcam, stug, Puffin and 4 others like this.

Didn't Jaime Lee Ross take time out to get his head space right ????

Quote Originally Posted by 300winmag View Post
    Didn't Jaime Lee Ross take time out to get his head space right ????
    Unfortunately got the "no-go" gauge stuck.
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    The only way to stop this legislation is to get NZ First to vote against it. ACT and National do not have the numbers to defeat it.
    The only other thing to do is to try and convince National to suggest amendments such as removing the shooting club bit and only firearms needing to be registered and have serial numbers before National will support it.
    Giving your votes to ACT will not defeat this legislation, David only has one vote.
    I will be writing to NZ 1st MPs - I never gave them my vote but they don't know that. Swaying NZ 1st is now the big initiative.

As for voting for ACT, I view that as the bigger picture, getting this current mob removed at the next election.

I am also not naive enough to believe a returning Nat govt will rescind any of the crap legislation introduced by Labour.
    Puffin and Moa Hunter like this.

Anyone know the contact details for Fed Farmers so we can point out that Farmers will lose the right to shoot on their own farms if they belong to a shooting or hunting club.
    One funny one will be if the horsey hunts groups that ride around behind dogs will be classified as a hunting club under the proposals. Bow hunters will definitely be, which is a real crack up
    veitnamcam and outlander like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    Anyone know the contact details for Fed Farmers so we can point out that Farmers will lose the right to shoot on their own farms if they belong to a shooting or hunting club.
    One funny one will be if the horsey hunts groups that ride around behind dogs will be classified as a hunting club under the proposals. Bow hunters will definitely be, which is a real crack up
    Can you clarify how that will work please stug re Feds. I will pass it on to the President

@Moa Hunter and everyone else ignore my comment. I was going on the leaked version of the proposed changes. The ones on the legislation website have changed the definition of a shooting club and removed the restriction I was talking about.
    Last edited by stug; 14-09-2019 at 03:07 PM.