Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Howa 1500. Opinions please.

Howa 1500. Opinions please.

I would like peoples opinions on the Howa 1500. I am thinking of getting one in 7mm 08. I like the weight of them and the short barrel. Even with a suppressor on they are still a well balanced rifle. My son made me put the smiles on.

I have 2 (well one is a vanguard, but same thing with a different name) in .223 and 7mmRM, they are awesome rifles for the money, both of mine are tackdrivers, the .223 I have not even bothered bedding as it shoots little bughole groups straight out of the box.
    The only complaint I have ever heard about them is the weight, I prefer a slightly heavier rifle so that doesn't bother me.

You won't be disappointed.

Are you looking at the ranchland version?
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Go for it have heard nothing but good things about them
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Get one, they are great rifles. Not to sure about 7mm08? 308 would be my choice.
    steven and Mick666 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudattack View Post
    ... the .223 I have not even bothered bedding as it shoots little bughole groups straight out of the box.

What he said

Have a 308 wby vanguard, feeds well, shoots well good solid rifle.

I have 2 (well one is a vanguard, but same thing with a different name) in .223 and 7mmRM, they are awesome rifles for the money, both of mine are tackdrivers, the .223 I have not even bothered bedding as it shoots little bughole groups straight out of the box.
    The only complaint I have ever heard about them is the weight, I prefer a slightly heavier rifle so that doesn't bother me.

Are you looking at the ranchland version?
    What He said. Got .223 and 30-06. Great rifles, Tack drivers both of them, Hunter 308 knows my 06 and I almost turned him LMAO

By the way I have a black Houge stock in Long action or a short action plastic stock sitting around the you can have for $50 each if you want to just get the action

Good to go

Yes i am thinking of the Ranchland version Spudattack. And i may take you up on the offer of the stock irgnz. Thanks very much.

I'm interested in the long action stock,can we have a look please?
    MARK

I've got the 7mm-08 and love it. I like the weight and dont mind having it over the shoulder for a day, got a limb saver with the soft rubber grip. Likes the 140gr Rems
    A silly fuk is better than a serious wank

For the money they look like a great buy, I'd buy one over a similar remmington, say, of course the T3 is only a little more. Have a think on what ammo as 308 and steel barnual is pretty cheap shooting.

I'll raise you 2 smilies...

"I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Quote Originally Posted by irgnz View Post
    What He said. Got .223 and 30-06. Great rifles, Tack drivers both of them, Hunter 308 knows my 06 and I almost turned him LMAO

By the way I have a black Houge stock in Long action or a short action plastic stock sitting around the you can have for $50 each if you want to just get the action
    Wadda ya mean almost turned me lol hell the howa is on my list of brands to choose from .

People are saying the 308 is better than the 7mm-08 as far as I am concerned the 7mm-08 is better in terms of higher BC bullets similar hitting power to the 308 and shoots much flatter than the 308 , If I had my way I would be going for a 280rem but as others here have convinced me the 708 will do exactly what it says on the tin and howa don't make rifles in 280 and I think they damn well should but then there is my infatuation with the .284win aswell.

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Quote Originally Posted by hunter308 View Post
    Wadda ya mean almost turned me lol hell the howa is on my list of brands to choose from .

People are saying the 308 is better than the 7mm-08 as far as I am concerned the 7mm-08 is better in terms of higher BC bullets similar hitting power to the 308 and shoots much flatter than the 308 , If I had my way I would be going for a 280rem but as others here have convinced me the 708 will do exactly what it says on the tin and howa don't make rifles in 280 and I think they damn well should but then there is my infatuation with the .284win aswell.
    Then just get a 7mmRM

Much heavier than the ranchland though.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Then just get a 7mmRM

Much heavier than the ranchland though.
    I have a date with a 7mmRM if I ever get down to Oamaru to catch up with a mate for a hunt until then no thanks the 280 and 284 would be my limit at this stage for big boomers actually I just can't see the point in magnum cases when most other calibers are fully capable even though you need to get that little bit closer.
    gadgetman likes this.