Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Steelisreal
  • 1 Post By Steelisreal
  • 1 Post By Chasd
  • 1 Post By dogmatix
  • 2 Post By Steelisreal
  • 1 Post By dogmatix
  • 1 Post By Steelisreal

Thread: Howa 223 Extended Mag Follower

Howa 223 Extended Mag Follower

Hello.
    I have a Howa 223 short action, which I had intended to load with big heavy projectiles. It has an internal box mag and unfortunately the mag length is fairly short which would limit me to single feeding for those projectiles.
    I noticed the other day when I had the stock off that there is a stopper (for want of a better word) in the mag box which can be removed and frees up the full length of the mag, probably adding another 1/2 inch or so. I tried it out but because the follower was so short it just floated around in the mag.
    So, a long question short, does anyone know if there is an after market 223 follower designed to fit the full length mag box in a Howa S/A?
    Thanks,
    HHB

I had a brief look around when I got mine back in May - no luck at that point.
    Name:  IMG20200526075541.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  2.39 MBName:  IMG20200526075430.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  2.57 MB
    I took a different approach and lengthened the space available by moving the 'block' back a bit. I'm still using the stock magazine follower and it mostly works fine. The pic showing the feed rails is to illustrate how they need to be opened up at the rear if you want to sit the cases further back in the mag box. The bolt stop will also need reducing but that's very simple.

I used the cutting wheel on a Dremel to cut the slot a few mm's back where the box widens out. I had to shorten the top part that's bent over. I can now fit rounds in to about 2.46 overall length. This seems to be sufficient for the majority of the projectiles available to be able to get close to the lands if required. The only one that is still too long is the 75 grain Eld-M. As it turns out my rifle just won't shoot them really well so they're down the road!

Anything less pointy like the Sierra TMK has loads of room in the mag. It has to be pointed out that my rifle is fairly new and has the 1/8 twist barrel. It seems to have quite a long throat so can digest some very long loads that won't work in a much shorter chamber/throat setup.

I don't have pictures of the modified box as yet. I will try to remember to take some when I pull it apart shortly.
    Last edited by Steelisreal; 22-03-2021 at 09:08 PM.
    caberslash likes this.

Thanks for that reply Steelisreal. That seems like a good option. I understand what you are saying, but would be interested to see the photos if you take some.
    I too have the 1/8 twist and I hear what you are saying about the throat - if I load 75gr eld-m to the lands then an unfired round is too long to fit out the ejection port. I quickly gave up trying to load anything to the lands.
    Cheers.

I only tried to get the 75s close to the lands as a reference point - they are an extreme VLD profile and are very sensitive to seating depth (in my experience). The 69 & 77 TMK, 69 Targex and 75 Gold Dot can all be seated to the lands (but don't necessarily need to) with 2.46 mag box length available as they have more conventional ogive shapes. 75 Good Dots shot best so far at 2.375 OAL and 77TMK at 2.400 - to anyone else reading this *THIS IS SAFE IN MY RIFLE AND SHOULD NOT BE TRIED UNLESS YOU HAVE MEASURED YOUR RIFLE. Despite industry standardisation there is still a lot of variation in chamber and throat dimensions.
    caberslash likes this.

77 TMK's are my next port of call. They are sitting in the shelf and just need to be loaded up. I'll be starting at 2.32 OAL which is my current mag length.
    Cheers.

Chasd
    Would like to see pics of mods please, also would like to mod my Howa 223 to seat out the proj’s.

Using Sierra 69gr TMKs
    AR2208 25gr
    COL 2.341”
    Danger Mouse likes this.

Or just get an Atlasworxs new magwell/trigger guard that takes AICS mags and you have far better mags (not soft bendy plastic) from MDT and Magpul with a longer OAL.
    caberslash likes this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    Or just get an Atlasworxs new magwell/trigger guard that takes AICS mags and you have far better mags (not soft bendy plastic) from MDT and Magpul with a longer OAL.
    That's fine if you want rattly, expensive sticky out detachable magazines. I don't as I prefer the conventional hinged floorplate set-up for this rifle as it balances nicely on the floorplate and I haven't yet had a capacity issue.
    @Chasd - I'll endeavour to take the rifle apart over the next few days and get some pics of the modifications.
    Chasd and dannyb like this.

Chasd
    Thanks�� MC & HNY

The new Waters Rifleman Howa AICS magwell is good. Although it works best with his own mags it will take other AICS ones too.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelisreal View Post
    That's fine if you want rattly, expensive sticky out detachable magazines. I don't as I prefer the conventional hinged floorplate set-up for this rifle as it balances nicely on the floorplate and I haven't yet had a capacity issue.
    @Chasd - I'll endeavour to take the rifle apart over the next few days and get some pics of the modifications.
    Calm down.
    I was talking to the OP.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Calm down.
    I was talking to the OP.
    As was I, along with the others interested in how to utilise the space available in the full-size mag box.

Poor choice of words on my part - wrote it thinking about the context of the OP's post wanting to improve what's already there. I wasn't having a go at you in any way.
    dogmatix likes this.