Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By 257weatherby

Thread: howa micro (mini action)

howa micro (mini action)

i was looking at these when they 1st come out and kind of went out of mind then a mate mentoned them to me last night and kind of back in my head again

are they any good is it worth selling my current small centerfire to get one

be intresting to hear what pepole have to say about em

I examined one in a gunshop.
    The bolt is exactly the same length as Remington 7 bolt but smaller in diameter.
    The whole dimension of the action is very close to an old sako 579.
    They should be as good as their big sister the howa1500.

Basicly if you want a true mini action, go with a sako vixen, a cz 527 or a zastava ( from the highest price to the lowest...or a Norinco but that is a rear bolt locking action).
    The next size up would be the mossberg MVP and then the howa mini action.

From what I have seen the Howa bolt is about the same size as a 527. I checked the specs and the Rem 7 is the same overall length but the Howa is 5.7lb versus the 6.5 of the Rem 7. Seeing as the Rem 7 is available in 7mm08, 7mmSAUM, and 308 I would have expected it to have a longer bolt as the Mini Howa's bolt is not long enough for those calibres at only 6" long. Its bolt is smaller and narrower than the Howa short action ad 3oz lighter as well.

Legacy Sports - Mini Action Rifle

If you want 223 or 204 then any of the three will be good. The CZ has the better finish when compared to both and the Howa is in th emiddle, But the Zastava and the CZ have one advantage. They both come in 7.62x39 as well where the Howa is only 204 or 223.

Value for money the Howa would take it. Certainly from the feel of the one I handled.

was going to get a 223 but mmmm 204 never had one before mmmmm

Depends hat you are using it for. Varmints are way fun with it. 4200fps on factory ammo. We had guys here hitting rabbits at 400m or more. Probably a bit light for goats etc. Like anything, it can be done but the 223 would be a better choice if going for something a bit bigger. I also want a 204 an if I get one for myself, it will very likely be one of those wee howa's.

The bolt head of the howa could be opened up for 7,62x39 or 6.5 Grendel.
    Not sure how it would fed though. Maybe pacific tool and gauge will make an ar mag conversion for it one day? Or better would make a mini 14/30 mag conversion?

It is going to be available with heavy barrels. That would be my choice in 204 ruger. No problem dispatching goats with 40 gr pills beyond 300m.

sneakywaza I got
    I just got one of these for the wife, put Tallys and an old Vx1 3-9 on it, the thing feels like a toy, her 17HMR Marlin with the thumbhole Boyds stock on it is bigger and heavier. Not sure if it's going to get kept yet. An impulse buy, how does that happen, sigh...........
    jakewire and gadgetman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    I just got one of these for the wife, put Tallys and an old Vx1 3-9 on it, the thing feels like a toy, her 17HMR Marlin with the thumbhole Boyds stock on it is bigger and heavier. Not sure if it's going to get kept yet. An impulse buy, how does that happen, sigh...........
    Was thinking the same for my missus.

Reckon it could be opened up to take the 22-250?

I have not measured the bolt diameter, but there won't be much meat left surrounding the case head.

Quote Originally Posted by 300_BLK View Post

I have a 22/250 action here in storage somewhere. Brand new and ready for a new owner........Normal Howa, not a mini though.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by 300_BLK View Post

Robbie is all excited about doing one in 6.8, 22-250, 762x39, but 223 is ok if you can get a good load going with something like the TTSX for bigger critters