Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    DBD

Howa Mountain alpine rifle or Tikka t3x

Does anyone have any experience with a Howa mountain alpine rifle? Would you compair it with a t3x? I'm looking at adding a 243 to the safe for close range easy shooting and get the kids behind the trigger.

Yep I've owned both (t3 not x though), the howa will probably fit your kids a bit better, off the top of my head it was shorter maybe in the sock and the forend was slimmer too. Trigger on the Tikka is better than the howa for sure.
    The drop box mag on the howa is a huge, huge plus in my book as opposed to a magazine in the tikka. I reload, so for me Tikkas are almost guaranteed sub 1/2" groups at 100m, the howa shot an honest inch with reloads.
    I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either of them.

I wouldn't rule out a model 7 in .243 either as it has a 1:9.125 twist, and would suite smaller shooters too. I picked up my last two for just under $1400.

DBD
    OK cool, thanks for the info. I'll see if I can view a model7.

No problem, My local HnF had 2 on the shelf so no doubt yours should too, with reloads (I haven't tried factory ammo) my mod7's shoot 1/2" - 3/4" groups. Plus I find the recoil pad on the Remingtons to be pretty good compared to say a stock tikka.
    Last edited by Timmay; 01-08-2020 at 01:53 PM.

personally I would go howa but I am a bit of a howa fanboy

I've had tikkas but now just use my howa alpine, I dislike detachable magazines, prob won't get much lighter for the money, mines a 308 and shoots around an inch with whitetail 150gr factory, load development hasn't been going too well bit over an inch has been the best but haven't spent much time on it.
    I'd say tikka would be more accurate out of the box. Check reloaders as they advertised the alpine at under $1400 in there recent catalog. They are also not stainless if that's a concern for you. But nice rifles in my opinion, don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon.

DBD
    Was wondering what's under the cerakote. I'm a big fan of stainless so might scrap Howa off the list.

Quote Originally Posted by DBD View Post
    Was wondering what's under the cerakote. I'm a big fan of stainless so might scrap Howa off the list.
    Blued afaik