Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Spudattack
  • 2 Post By GravelBen

Thread: howa stainless/hogue rifle

howa stainless/hogue rifle

Hunting and fishing are offering the above at $999, with a Nikko-Stirling Diamond scope. Wondered whether those in the know think this is a decent deal. Stirling sports got the same gun at same price but with a Game King scope, am I right in thinking the diamond is the better scope for bush hunting? would appreciate your thoughts. thanks

The Diamond is Nikko's top scope so should be decent enough - I haven't used one but the Nighteaters (model below the Diamond) have been solid and reliable for me, nothing exceptional in the optics though. Gameking is the basic one a few rungs down the ladder.

Have a feel of the Howa to see how it fits you and if you like the feel it - I found the fore-end of the stock annoyingly soft and wobbly when I played with one in a shop, but they generally shoot well and are quite popular.

Seexwhat they quote you for just the barreled action, then order a boyds and put a decent scope on it and you are away, I just found that i ended up only having the barelled action left and everything else in the package was a waste of money and is sitting in a cupboard now!
    Fair enough if you want a scope for ya .22 or something but i just found it a waste on buth of my howas, the barreled actions are good though and really accurate.
    Vapour likes this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

I have a nikko sterling on my 6.5 its been good as gold ever since its been. Also had a game king on the .303 and it was sweet as too but it lives on a .22 atm
    VIVA LA HOWA

The nikko diamonds are an underrated scope equal to the vx1 if not a little better

I have the black hogue stock with stainless barrel in 7mm-08 with the diamond scope. Also got the Hardcore Schultz and Larsen moderator. It's a great low price package, and very accurate. Shooting tight sub 1inch groups at 100 yards. Scope gives good light and is clear and easily adjustable. Fits the rifle well too. How ever I will be replacing it with a Tac Vector Optics 10x40x50 from aliexpress.com (I've seen the scope on other rifles in nz and they're the schizz) and it will then be the all round rifle. I'm very happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by mode View Post
    ...How ever I will be replacing it with a Tac Vector Optics 10x40x50 from aliexpress.com (I've seen the scope on other rifles in nz and they're the schizz) and it will then be the all round rifle.
    I guess your 'all-round' doesn't include any sort of bush hunting then? I personally wouldn't consider a scope that starts at 10x as an all-rounder, but whatever floats your boat.
    veitnamcam and Toby like this.