Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Hunting and fishing .223 ammo

Hunting and fishing .223 ammo

Anyone used the bulk ammo pack you can get? 50 rounds for $50
    Just wondering if it is even worth it, or will it be all over the show? Mostly shooting wallabies, goats and the occasional fallow. I bought a pack today as it was clearly the most cost effectiv e solution, however now rethinking the purchase.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by CamFlatt View Post
    Anyone used the bulk ammo pack you can get? 50 rounds for $50
    Just wondering if it is even worth it, or will it be all over the show? Mostly shooting wallabies, goats and the occasional fallow. I bought a pack today as it was clearly the most cost effectiv e solution, however now rethinking the purchase.
    You bought from them..................

I got a 250 pack off them.....before they threw us under the bus.

Go ok in my premium rifle.....Savage Axis. Inch at a hundy is good enough for me.
    They go bang, Wally falls over. Bambi drops on the spot.
    Farmers Feed The World..
    The Only Thing Not Delivered By Truck Are Babies...

You'll need to compare your 223's twist rate with the weight of the projectile, and see whether they're a good match.

Ultimately the decider is how they work in you rifle.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

Cole
    I use to use it in my tikka, but noticed in one batch that a couple of cases had a ring around it half way down between the neck and base after firing so I gave it a bit of a bend and it snapped in half at the mark. Stopped using it after that.

Switched to hornady 50 packs which are about $58 from memory from farmlands with a shareholder discount. Good stuff for the price.

Going to switch to Belmont tho as I want to use the 62grain sp projectiles.

My 2c.

If you can be bothered doing the postal forms just Buy the belmont stuff, either the pmc they sell or their belmont black bulk. Works out at around 50 cents a round and works fine.
    I think the h&f stuffs belmont anyhow.
    The 62 sp seems to be the best, it is reloaded military brass and some can separate if you try and full length resize them to reload. If you want new brass and intend to reload it (although at that price why would you) use the pmc bronze
    Russian 22. likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    You bought from them..................
    Ha yeah was given a voucher for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    If you can be bothered doing the postal forms just Buy the belmont stuff, either the pmc they sell or their belmont black bulk. Works out at around 50 cents a round and works fine.
    The 62 sp seems to be the best, it is reloaded military brass and some can separate if you try and full length resize them to reload. If you want new brass and intend to reload it (although at that price why would you) use the pmc bronze
    Belmont is great just get your local independent shop to order it in for you

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Friends have purchased and used the H&F ammo with good success but when I looked at it, it seemed to me to be rebranded Belmont so I agree with Marty... go direct to Belmont. They make good ammo and its hard to reload for much less.
    Last edited by planenutz; 26-02-2020 at 10:10 PM.

sneakywaza I got
    You are excused!

I got one of those bloody things too!

I got my 223 from Ammo direct. Fairly happy with how it goes in mine....

They are perfect for roos. Group bloody well from tikka 1in8. Plus many others I have seen use it. Had a couple seperated cases from an early batch. Now using GGG 69g matchking ammo from aoraki ammo here in Timaru. Works real well.not much dearer.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
    You'll need to compare your 223's twist rate with the weight of the projectile, and see whether they're a good match.

Ultimately the decider is how they work in you rifle.
    55s should suit any twist rate. Overstabilisation is a myth nowadays with modern bullet manafucturing. I shoot a 1 in 8 twist 308. It likes anything from 155s to 225s. Have had a 155 load shoot at. 75moa a 225 load shoot the same. And a factory 168 load shoot 1 moa. I'm sure I could get 110s to group but don't see the need. So while heaviest may not shoot in a slow twist lighter bullets may shoot in a fast twist.

More specifically the h and f rounds are Belmont produced and known for case head separation. My ar used to rip case heads of regularly even when gased right down And had two case heads removed by a ruger m77 along with quite a few cracked cases.
    I gave the last 100 away.

Worth a try for cheap hunting ammo is speer gold dot. 62 or 75 grain maybe a 55 grain. In New brass cases projectile is awesome and I believe is bonded. Can reload the nickel coated cases. I did without issue. I purchased mine through custom guns in invercargill. I have taken a big red hind, a bull Tahr, and a fallow buck with this stuff to good effect. Worked out 90ish cents a pop. I have a tonne left if my old man hasn't raided it if you'd like a box to try.
    rockland likes this.