Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By oneshot
  • 2 Post By JoshC
  • 1 Post By 25 /08 IMP

Thread: Hunting Jacket

Hunting Jacket

Hi Guys and Gals,

Looking to buy hunting jacket and am after advice. I don't need the whos ya daddy top of the line version but I do want quality. Trade me has quiet a bit on there but I don't if any stand out from the rest.
    This Viel cammo looks ok but I can get a ridgeline jacket and pants for the same price as 1 jacket.

Your thoughts please. CHUR

For keeping warm or dry? I wear a Columbia Hail Tech rain jacket to keep the rain off, its lightweight and does the job, plenty of flash looking and very expensive jackets out there, I have never really gotten into the hype of specialty hunting jackets that cost upwards of $400-500. everyone will be wearing something different out there. I wear merino against my skin for warmth, and with the lightweight jacket if it rains, is more than enough to keep dry and warm, keep in mind I am in the Lower North Island, so for our local conditions this is ideal for our weather.

Name:  columbia jacket.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  234.8 KB
    Also really good for keeping the blood off, washes really easily and drys super fast.
    Last edited by oneshot; 03-11-2014 at 09:22 AM.
    Danny likes this.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

chers oneshot mainly to keep dry

I've got a Stoney Creek Hybrid or someshit......about $450 - $500. All seam sealed etc. I'd sooner grab something lighter that doesnt sweat so much if that exists. Mates got a nice little ridgeline hooded jacket, seam sealed but folds up into a small roll.

Don't necessarily look at the "hunting" brands for gear, there's some bloody good hiking/tramping gear out there too. I use mainly Swazi, but have other gear like a Macpac Resolution for my pissing down with rain jacket. Its excellent. Only suitable for tops hunting, too noisy for in the bush.

I generally avoid the cheaper "hunting" gear brands, it's ok for short trips 1-2 days/evenings/wear out the back of a farm/to the pub etc., but with heavy use in the bush and mountains they just don't' seem to last. There are exceptions, but talk to most guys that do ALOT of serious hunting and I'd say they'll agree.
    samba and oneshot like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

I have always had a separate rain jacket and jacked. Im comfy in a drover fleece and take my farmlands jacket along for the rain.

anyone out there using a ridgeline Torrent Jacket?

Ridgeline won't go the distance you would be better off saving some more dollars and waiting until a better brand has a sale i.e. Macpac

I have used a few Swazi, Huntect and some others over the years but now use Under Armour Early Season with Base 1 or 2 under that's all I use now very light and warm and don't cost a lot. They all even the Swazi and Stony Creek get wet after a lot of rain and are to hot when working hard up a hill.
    Gibo likes this.

I have stoney creek tarn 111 jacket and rate it

I use a Huntech set as my main waterproof jacket & water proof trousers, keep a stoney creek Stowit jacket in my day pack more as an extra layer.
    Always hunt in shorts and thermals hunech & swazi are my go to gear (blaze in the roar) don't ming getting wet always expect to if I'm pushing through wet scrub