Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: I need a pair of Binoculars, advice wanted please

I need a pair of Binoculars, advice wanted please

Hi guys,

I went for my first proper walk in the bush with a mate yesterday (which was awesome) and decided I need to get some binoculars. I don't want to spend more than $200...

Looking on the net, the ones I have funds so far are...
    Bushnell 8 x 25 H2O Binoculars - $100
    Bushnell 8 x 32 Trophy XLT Binoculars - $190
    or the other option is to keep an eye for some second hand ones...

Any advice on the two above, or what I should be looking for would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    Daniel

I used an old pair of Jason 8x40 auto focus yesterday, owned them for 25 odd years, theyre awesome good field of vision and auto focus is great
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

The only problem with cheap binoculars is that they are often crap. Optics is one area where you get what you pay for. Don't buy cheap binocluars unless you get to look through them. On a bright day any binoculars will look OK. If you are testing them then look in to dark, shadowed areas and see how well you can see detail.
    My advice is save your money, do reasearch on good brands then keep an eye out for specials, second hand ones on trademe etc. Zen-ray are probably the pick of the cheaper binoculars, but you will probably need to spend more than $200.
    gadgetman and HNTMAD like this.

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    The only problem with cheap binoculars is that they are often crap. Optics is one area where you get what you pay for. Don't buy cheap binocluars unless you get to look through them. On a bright day any binoculars will look OK. If you are testing them then look in to dark, shadowed areas and see how well you can see detail.
    My advice is save your money, do reasearch on good brands then keep an eye out for specials, second hand ones on trademe etc. Zen-ray are probably the pick of the cheaper binoculars, but you will probably need to spend more than $200.
    +1

Though I did get a pair of H2O for Timerider a few years back and they will get you out there while you save. Up till recently I have been using a pair of 10x25 Ross I bought about 30 years ago.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

I bought a pair of leupold yosimites 8 x 30 something I can't remember exactly been great binos I payed 220 but I think they are still same price or even 200 at the shop in taihape
    GWH and RichieRich like this.

Thanks for the replies so far guys... really appreciate it. Not in a rush so can spend some time checking out Trade Me etc, not too sure if I can spend too much more than the $200 though.... What are the Leupold Yosimites like? sounds like a good price...

In my experience the Yosemites are better than H2O's. The Yosemites are definitely brighter and I think clearer than the H2O's. The biggest downside (you'll probably get this with most cheap binos) is slightly blurry picture around the edges and you can get a headache very quickly if you don't have them focussed right for your eyes

Buy wot you can afford.....sum is better than none. I use 10x50 bushnell self focus. Best binocs I have used and done me well. 160.00 at hunt and fish. Don't have to pay 800.00 plus. I still have them and still use them. Had them for ten years.
    gadgetman likes this.

My leupold yosimites are by far the best binos in the price range I have looked through there is no blurring around edges at all.I have looked through 600 dollar leupold cascades as well they are defiantly better but I would not say 400 dollars worth better
    GWH likes this.

Auto focus no no no

Agreed, "auto focus" is the optical equivalent of "compromise"

Except when you wear glasses, self focus is awesome for me!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Still using a pair of Jason Auto focus,probably as old self focus is bloody good when the wife and kids etc use them.
    You just have to blink.
    From memory they were not that cheap when I got them.

When searching for deer in the bush foliage you definitely need the focus wheel.as you need to explore every distance from close up to far away with great details. Try to save up as much as you can by the best you can afford.you won't regret the investment on the long term. leupold is not to bad to start with as I think they have a pretty good warranty on them.
    As for the Jason, my dad still has his old pair, they were good for searching partridges or crows in the wide open plains of my area in France or for trying to spot the falcon above.but my dad has put his hand on a second hand pair of Swarovski and uses only them now.

Thanks guys, I might look at the Leupold's Yosimites... probably going to stay around the $200 range for now as I need to get some other things, and some will be better than nothing I guess.