Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Ideal day pack

Ideal day pack

I've currently been doing day trips using a pikau and although they do their job okay I'm looking for a more suitable day/overnight pack. Also looking for opinions on the scabbards and if they're any good? I'm not sure on the idea of not holding my rifle although walking through heavy traffic areas it doesn't seem like a bad thing. I never spend more than 2 days out there and normally only one. I'm looking at the cactus line and wondering what the other alternatives are? If anyone has anything they want to part with by all means PM me also.

Can't go wrong with a cactus huntaway. Its big enough for an overnight or 2 in summer or if staying in huts and not carrying tents, fly's or sleeping mat.
    cameronjackwhite likes this.

Size will depend on how compact the rest of your gear is. My main day pack is a 40l and really to small for a over night pack

Check out some of the Eberlestock options, I love mine. The scabbard set up is fantastic

Second hand macpac with a cactus saddle works ok... As do the twin needle molly me

I think the new 55 plus 10 tatonka bison looks like a great day pack especially when your hunting in cold conditions and when your on the move need somewhere to stick all the layers of clothes. Might be on the big side a little but I personally think it would be perfect

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I use a cactus Milklat these days,carry all day hunt gear and a boned out deer with ease,bit small for overnight if you score an animal tho,

Cactus huntaway and scabbard, great setup! Can fly camp for a couple of nights in summer and fit two boned out reds in it. Small enough to not be a PITA while stalking but big enough .
    Danny and cameronjackwhite like this.

The huntaway is a good size. I like to have 50 litres capacity if I'm doing an overnighter.

MSL

Ideal day pack

Quote Originally Posted by Hunty1 View Post
    Cactus huntaway and scabbard, great setup! Can fly camp for a couple of nights in summer and fit two boned out reds in it. Small enough to not be a PITA while stalking but big enough .
    I had the huntaway and I definitely couldn’t fit two boned out reds in it while fly camping for a couple nights.
    Last edited by MSL; 11-02-2019 at 10:36 PM.

I use a Stone Glacier 7400. It can be adjusted from approx 30 litres all the way to 120 litres. Weighs about 2kgs and the external frame is strong enough to carry out most of the meat I'd get from a mature hind/spiker.

It's handy having that kind of flexibility in a pack. If it's a day mission I simply compress it. If it's a multi week trip I may fill the entire pack.

I've found that it's always better to have extra room in a pack and not need it. Besides, filling space does not necessarily mean extra weight. Some items may be 'ultralight' but bulky and require extra room. E.g a 2nd pair of boots for once you hit the snowline...or a big puffer jacket.

Sometimes I may not compress my sleeping bag in its stuff sack and just let it fill extra space in my pack. This approach can increase the longevity of a down bag. Or I may get into some thick scrub and the extra room in my pack will allow me to move gear from outside of my pack (e.g tent) into my pack to keep it from getting torn.

Some good manufacturers of compressible packs include Stone Glacier, Kifaru, Mystery Ranch and Exo Mountain Gear.

Beats carrying two seperate packs, but they're not exactly cheap either.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Sideshow and cameronjackwhite like this.

They look like a good pack there @Frodo it’s a tough compromise though as I like to go light and fast for my day trips once base is sorted so I usually op to carry two.
    Frodo and cameronjackwhite like this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

SGR
    I've got jne of these surplus if your interested? Great pack uve just ended up with a milkat and a bison So it's just not really needed
    Name:  download.jpeg
Views: 929
Size:  5.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    I had the huntaway and I definitely couldn’t fit two boned out reds in it while fly camping for a couple nights.
    @MSL My set up is pretty minimal and super light and compact. Have done in a few times (2 deer in it that is) admittedly with two some stuff like the fly and sleeping mat end up on the outside under the bungy/compression straps. Guess it all depends on how little you can get by with for a night.

So I think we have proved the "ideal" day pack hasn't been invited