Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Illuminated Scope Reticle Pros and Cons

  1. #1
    Top Member Remington 5R .300 Win Mag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Obviously A Different Planet To The One You Bastards Are On!
    Posts
    303

    Illuminated Scope Reticle Pros and Cons

    What's the advantage of having an illuminated reticle in a rifle scope? I've shot deer right on dark with a cheap Bushnell Trophy scope and never had (or even seen through) an illuminated reticled scope! What's the pros of such an instrument or is it just another fangled toy with something else to go wrong?
    "Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten"!

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Stewart island / canterbury
    Posts
    7,713
    Have found it comes in handy now and again but it's not a deciding factor for scope choice to me.

  3. #3
    Member Ryan_Songhurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    South Island
    Posts
    7,190
    I never use the illumination on my scope in a hunting situation, allthough a few weeks back we were heading out for a trip so on the friday beforehand I shot down the back of the farm to check my zero, shot 100m and it was fine, decided I should dial up one of the gongs just to be sure, by this stage it was getting pretty dark, the gong at 640yards is 10"x10" and I could see it through my scope fine but turned on illumination and found it was much easier to hold on the middle of the gong with it turned on. Thats the only time I have used it!

  4. #4
    Top Member Remington 5R .300 Win Mag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Obviously A Different Planet To The One You Bastards Are On!
    Posts
    303
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    I never use the illumination on my scope in a hunting situation, allthough a few weeks back we were heading out for a trip so on the friday beforehand I shot down the back of the farm to check my zero, shot 100m and it was fine, decided I should dial up one of the gongs just to be sure, by this stage it was getting pretty dark, the gong at 640yards is 10"x10" and I could see it through my scope fine but turned on illumination and found it was much easier to hold on the middle of the gong with it turned on. Thats the only time I have used it!
    What scope have you got?
    "Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten"!

  5. #5
    Member Ryan_Songhurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    South Island
    Posts
    7,190
    This is just pointing the rifle into a dark spot under the coffee table but it definitely is easier to pick the centre of the reticle with it turned on. As said though I have never felt that I HAD to use it, I actually forget that I even have it most of the time.
    Name:  IMG_20160716_213218.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  613.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_20160716_213149.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  606.5 KB
    Philipo and WallyR like this.

  6. #6
    Member Ryan_Songhurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    South Island
    Posts
    7,190
    Quote Originally Posted by Remington 5R .300 Win Mag View Post
    What scope have you got?
    Vx6 3-18x44 Boone and Crocket reticle, illuminated

  7. #7
    Top Member Remington 5R .300 Win Mag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Obviously A Different Planet To The One You Bastards Are On!
    Posts
    303
    Yeah, you can see the difference alright, thanks for that.
    "Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten"!

  8. #8
    Top Member Remington 5R .300 Win Mag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Obviously A Different Planet To The One You Bastards Are On!
    Posts
    303
    Right you two, thanks for your comments. Now, it doesn't actually do anything for contrasting your target against it's dark background, does it? I'm just trying to work out whether it's worth the extra $300 or not. It's been put to me like this, if you buy it you'll never use it, if you don't buy it, you'll pine for it on every hunting trip!
    "Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten"!

  9. #9
    Rob von tempsky fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Te Puke
    Posts
    867
    The only time illumination is needed on a scope is if it's a FFP with a fine reticle , it's a gimmick iv had NF for years and never once in a hunting /shooting situation needed or used it. If you have to have a scope with it don't get a low/mid range brand as the flare or illuminated bleeding is off putting and like having a fluro turd in the middle of your scope. Leica , SB , swarovski NF are where it's at . A fluro Xmas tree reticle what were you thinking?

  10. #10
    Top Member Remington 5R .300 Win Mag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Obviously A Different Planet To The One You Bastards Are On!
    Posts
    303
    Quote Originally Posted by von tempsky fan View Post
    The only time illumination is needed on a scope is if it's a FFP with a fine reticle , it's a gimmick iv had NF for years and never once in a hunting /shooting situation needed or used it. If you have to have a scope with it don't get a low/mid range brand as the flare or illuminated bleeding is off putting and like having a fluro turd in the middle of your scope. Leica , SB , swarovski NF are where it's at . A fluro Xmas tree reticle what were you thinking?
    Yeah, yeah look, the only guy I know with one gives the same testimony, he never uses it... I'm suspecting it's probably a gimmick and just another thing to go wrong. Thanks.
    "Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten"!

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    South Waikato
    Posts
    3,692
    Quote Originally Posted by Remington 5R .300 Win Mag View Post
    Right you two, thanks for your comments. Now, it doesn't actually do anything for contrasting your target against it's dark background, does it? I'm just trying to work out whether it's worth the extra $300 or not. It's been put to me like this, if you buy it you'll never use it, if you don't buy it, you'll pine for it on every hunting trip!
    You'll have a spare $100 if you buy a Maxtoch and use that when you can't see the target.

  12. #12
    Member northdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    north auckland area
    Posts
    7,355
    Your better off lighting up the target with a decent light then you can id it properly and see what's behind it
    tetawa and Pengy like this.

  13. #13
    Top Member Remington 5R .300 Win Mag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Obviously A Different Planet To The One You Bastards Are On!
    Posts
    303
    Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    Your better off lighting up the target with a decent light then you can id it properly and see what's behind it
    Nah, when the sun goes down, I go down, it's time to stop hunting and leave it till the morning. I think I'll be going for a 'non illuminated' scope!
    "Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten"!

  14. #14
    Member chainsaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Silverdale
    Posts
    2,881
    I have a couple of scopes with illum reticles - these are firedot type (VX-R and VX6 and the Trijicon tritium reticles), not the xmas tree. The illum centre dot is VERY good for low light shooting, especially in the bush. I also find the illum dot very helpful for longer range shots in full light because I find it really helps to focus my attention on the precise POA. Best option would be to go look thru a couple in the field and see what you eyes like or not. Plenty of good buggers on the forum that would help u out.
    Philipo and Hen like this.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Jindera Australia
    Posts
    142
    Main advantage is on high end glass that gathers more light so target is able to be seen but the cross hairs disappear in the darker colour of the deer/target. Have only used mine 3 times in a hunting situation but wouldn't have been able to shot a 29" sambar without it so reckon its paid for its self.
    mick likes this.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. 280AI - pros & cons?
    By Nickoli in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 20-01-2016, 06:06 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 25-11-2015, 08:01 AM
  3. CZ455 .22LR EVOLUTION - 3-12X50 illuminated reticle scope
    By PERRISCICABA in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-09-2015, 03:36 PM
  4. WTS: Centerpoint AR22 3-9x32 rimfire scope illuminated reticle
    By hunter308 in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-11-2014, 01:38 PM
  5. Places to Live in NZ - Pros and Cons
    By JayColli in forum Off topic
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 19-04-2014, 05:02 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!