Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: import difficulties

PTK
    PTK

import difficulties

trying to get an order out of brownells , basically a complete AR upper in pieces . Local arms officer viewed my shopping list , said all OK dont need a permit to import as it is A cat stuff , dilemma is AO says no permit required and will not provide documentation to support this , customs neither . brownells want a permit , explained the procedure how customs holds item until police give the all clear but this does not seem to be enough . has anybody else had this issue?

Can you just get a permit from the arms officer or customs and get it without having to argue with them? You can see their point in some regards. People can go to prison for a long time for shipping something they shouldn't have shipped, and they can't keep up to date with every countries firearms laws as they're always changing.

I've never tried to import actual firearm parts (ie anything to do with the firing mechanism) but have had no trouble getting mags and bits of pieces over... granted I've only done it a few times with gun bits.

You will need a permit at the states end as well wouldn't you.... to get it out of the states?
    Fishing ... Hunting its all good

You will need an import permit for - Barrel, upper and lower. I am in the process of doing the same thing. My AO wrote out permits for everything even though he isn't suppose to. Stick under the $100 limit for all the small parts and you won't need to go through the export BS. I applied for export approval a month ago and my lower shipped yesterday. Not bad.

I tend to get shit released from customs easily too as Scott handles packages for me pretty much ever day

From Brownells Website
    Part 1: General Information, International

There are a number of items which Brownells sells which need US State Department approval and an export license before they can be shipped out of the country. The regulations are complex and constantly changing but our staff is here to help you understand what is needed and will gladly work with you to correctly accomplish the task.

Generally speaking, items which usually need a license are:

Frames
    Receivers
    Barrels
    Barrel Liners
    Various other gun parts such as triggers, sears, ejectors, magazine tubes, scopes, and other items if the ordered amount is over $100.00 US.

Licenses from the US State Department take time to receive. You will need a DSP-83 form from the US State Department for regulated items. It can easily take 30-60 days to obtain an export license, so plan ahead accordingly. Many other countries also require the buyer to apply for and receive an import permit or certificate in order to be able to import a licensed item into their country; so again, you will have to be aware of what the laws are for your country.

Brownells has an obligation to monitor our shipments for both direct and indirect exports. A direct export is when an order is placed by someone outside of the United States and then ships out of the US when all the required licenses and investigations have been successfully completed for that order. An indirect export is where an order is placed by a customer outside of the US and then is shipped to another location within the United States. Both of these examples could need an export license to take place.

There are a number of things which need to be checked and verified for an export order and Brownells is diligent to conduct the required procedures as specified by the law. Brownells will swiftly report any violations to the appropriate governing authorities of any potential customer which seeks to break those laws.

You will be required to provide an import permit or certificate from your government for us to include along with the export application for you order. You will also have to provide Brownells with a written order for the items you wish to order. This can be an official purchase order or a written order on your company’s letterhead, paragraphing in letter form the items you wish to order. Your signature is required on these items as well. The US Department of State also requires that your written order reflect that Brownells is the supplier your order is directed to. Failure to do so will cause your application to be denied. Unfortunately, the Brownells Order Form from our web site or our Web Order Confirmation cannot be accepted as a written order.

Exports of licensed products are regulated by various US Government agencies. The International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) is administered by The Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC) through the US Department of State. Click here for more information on License Support Documentation information from DDTC: U.S. State Department - Policy - Directorate of Defense Trade Controls

Other Web Resources

U. S. Bureau of Industry and Security - Policies and Regulations

This is the Commerce Department EAR Section 731 Supplement No. 1 Country Chart. In this listing, if your country is listed on the chart and has an ‘X’ in the FC, CC1, CC2, CC3, AT1, OR AT2 columns, you will need an export permit.

U. S. Bureau of Industry and Security - Policies and Regulations

This is the Commerce Department EAR Section 774 Category 0 listing. The following classifications will need a license:

ECCN 0A018 – Items which are on the Wassenaar Munitions List

ECCN 0A984 – Shotguns, barrel length 18 inches (45.72 cm) or over; buckshot shotgun shells; except equipment used exclusively to treat or tranquilize animals, and except arms designed solely for signal, flare, or saluting use; and parts, not elsewhere specified.

ECCN 0A987 – Optical sighting devices for firearms (including shotguns controlled by 0A984); and parts, not elsewhere specified.

Canadian customers can click here for information regarding firearms purchases: Royal Canadian Mounted Police - Canadian Firearms Program | Gendarmerie royale du Canada - Programme canadien des armes feu

Canadian customers can click here for information regarding firearms parts purchases: HTTP Error 404 - Not Found / Erreur HTTP 404 - Non trouvé

Canadian customers are required to provide and Import Authorization which states that you can import firearm components. Our Department of State will only accept a certified English translation of this import permit. DO NOT send your original copy because you will need it to receive the goods when they come to you.

If your country does not require an import license, you will need to post us a certified letter reflecting this information. Your written, signed order is required, as well as the guidelines previously mentioned. If you have any questions you may contact our Foreign Sales Department.

You can supply a Statuary Declaration along with the other paperwork you need to send over

PTK
    PTK
    as mentioned the AO does not have to issue a permit for this stuff , but if he did no problem, i filled in all the forms . if no one will issue a declaration and i cant get a permit no dice. is the AO just being obstructive knowing full well how anal US bureacracy can be. realistically customs will hold the parts until the AO clears it anyway and why would i spend $1000 to have it siezed it this end.

I don't think you understand
    Make a Statutory Declaration signed in front of a JP saying Import permit is not required for these parts, sign it and send it with your other documents.

if Brownells can mpt get export documentation then all you are out is their "Documentation fee" which was 48 bucks on my last order totaling $1600US

PTK
    PTK
    mikee ,have you done this. i doubt that a jp letter will be do the trick. customs or arms officer definately. brownells replied that a letter from the AO may be sufficient

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    NZ law requires a permit for ALL firearms parts - Section 16(1)(b)
    Police policy for only receiver etc for A-Cat means jack shit in front of the Judge when Customs are prosecuting you.
    Customs can and WILL prosecute for no permit, and you cant legally obtain one retrospectively once the items land in the country
    All depends on who you get and how much of a cunt they want to be - if you're on the 'list' because you know someone who knows someone, then you're fucked

The current non issue of permits is the latest attempt to stop import of AR stuff, thats why they wont give you anything to say a permit is not required.

I'm currently going through it on both fronts

Ask for it in writing by sending them an email -ask for a reason of refusal to write the permit or to put the reasoning of no permit required into writing.
    Nzgunner likes this.

Section 2 Interpretation , of the Arms Act , states that in the case of an A Cat firearm part only the action requires a permit ,

part—

(a) in relation to a pistol, restricted weapon, or military style semi-automatic firearm, includes any thing, such as a butt, stock, magazine, silencer, or sight, which, while not essential for the discharge by a pistol, restricted weapon, or military style semi-automatic firearm of any shot, bullet, missile, or other projectile, is designed or intended to be an integral part of a pistol, restricted weapon, or military style semi-automatic firearm; and

(b) in relation to any other firearm, means the action for that firearm

Worst case order an extra AR15 receiver for $80, the the AO will write you a permit for everything, import it all and sell the receiver for $350 and profit.

Not quite an answer to your question, but getting hard just the same...

i quote from email I received from Leupold....

Jamie,

The price to have this installed is $150.00 and the custom reticle is $69.99. We will not be able to ship out of the states.

Regards,

---- Original Message ----

Hi there, I was looking at pricing on having turrets and maybe a BDC recticle (.308 @ 150grn) on my VXIII 4.5-14 x40 fitted, however, i see a footnote saying there is a governmental restriction of shipping scopes internationally?

WTF?? Cant even get my scope back after shipping by the looks..

PTK
    PTK
    some progress made AO finally conceded that a receiver and BCG constitute an action , so issued a permit as well as listing all the other bits on it, i should now be able to build the upper if and when brownells have any stock, seems like a lot of AR stuff in demand. I think I will frame the permit, it took a bit of getting.

There are a few uppers in stock as of this post