Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Import permit for reloading equipment ?

Import permit for reloading equipment ?

Sorry to ask this but I thought it would be quicker than trolling old posts on me phone, if I'm going to get a rock chucker supreme reloading kit sent from the US do I need a permit?

Thanks

As i believe, @charliehorse that the rule of thumb is "if it attaches to your firearm, YES", then I say no, you do not as a kit would not attach to your firearm

I and others bring in bullet moulds with no interference

Thanks, just spent the last wee while trolling and came up with that. Now to decide who to buy from, and maybe talk to our friend and see if I can side step some shipping cost.

Have imported 2 lots of dies since the shite with permits became more enforced last year. Had no issues and also didn't have permits because Kapiti stated none required. In fact the wording from Kapiti for the permit I did apply for was "permit declined" and then went on to state that reloading equipment is not a firearm part.

IIRC though others have posted that they have got permits for reloading equipment?? Unfortunately who knows how they will jump at Customs/NZ Post.

As far as buying from overseas I have spent shitloads over the years. For a press though I would be looking for a sharp deal onshore. Unless you can somehow sidestep the shipping any saving on the purchase will be consumed by the shipping. A press is heavy obviously.

Also be aware you may get pinged for GST.

Yea good point @zimmer, can get the rockchucker supreme kit and 2 lots of dies for USD380 but no indication of shipping cost on the checkout. Best I can find for that in NZ is 850 for the kit alone. I'm on a budget so trying to do the best I can without skimping......

I had a permit declined through it not being required for import. Dies,hand primer, quick trim, case guages

[QUOTE=charliehorse;...........USD380 but no indication of shipping cost on the checkout. Best I can find for that in NZ is 850 for the kit alone. I'm on a budget so trying to do the best I can without skimping......[/QUOTE]

I suspect that you will get hammered both on the goods and the delivery charges. In case you are not aware of it, here is a guide to the "Stand and deliver" highway robbery Customs will now exhort from you.

https://tinyurl.com/y9833vju

The bastards are playing ducks and drakes and moving the guide internet address and also changing the location of "stuff" we want to enquire about. It now looks like reloading comes under "outdoor equipment' and "Firearms.'

If not sure give them a call on their 0800 number. 0800 428 786

I'm bloody surprised that they still have one and not making us pay to telephone them.
    Last edited by Kiwi Sapper; 07-02-2020 at 07:09 PM.

Do they base that on the converted rate to nz dollar or what we pay on the shelf in nz? The value of mine will be less than 1k

What you pay in US dollars plus shipping/insurance in US dollars. NZ value has no relevance except if you try to claim a real low/unrealistic purchase price. Used to work long time ago but they are generally on to all the tricks people try.

When using the What's My Duty calculator I just select Golf Clubs for which there is no duty.

A reloading press should attract no duty in part because there are no commercial manufacturers of reloading presses in NZ.

At any rate if you run the calculator at US$380 for the goods and say US$90 (could be light) for shipping the result is no duty (<NZ$1000), gst on the goods of NZ$87.69 and gst on the shipping of NZ$20.77, so all quite reasonable.
    Before the changes on 1 Dec they would have slapped you a Biosecurity fee as well. Now kicks in at >$1k

Edit: Just looking at it again and I think above is wrong. Because the total comes to less than NZ$1000 duty/gst is waived. Although I think if the company you purchase off sells more the $60k (maybe$65?) per year into NZ that company is required by NZ to be gst registered and to collect the gst on behalf of NZ govt. This is what is happening now with Ebay for example.

All the changes came about on 1 Dec 19.

Best to keep order under NZ$1k. And purchase off a small outfit although many of them will not export. Brownells surprisingly don't seem to be charging gst all purchases which is a surprise as I thought they would sell more the 65k into NZ.
    Last edited by zimmer; 07-02-2020 at 08:24 PM.

A couple of years ago, I was looking at getting my reloading stuff from the states (due to extreme markup in NZ). I wanted to save money but because of the high weight of the press I wasn't sure if what shipping would be like. I chose to buy the actual Rock Chucker press in NZ (Black Watch Reloading) and then ordered all the other items from Sinclair International in 3 orders each of about $220 NZD + shipping (so that they came in under the $400 GST threshold).

Note: I selected Parcel Post Priority and each order came to around USD$25-30. I think from the reading/research I could do that option is the cheapest for shipping for medium size packages.

We all work hard for our money . Do the math, if there's not much in it support your local, but end of the day we all work hard for our money .

You shouldn't need a permit. I was going to buy a rockchucker kit from natchez but once shipping was added there was nothing in it. Nearly $200 from memory. You're better off waiting for a deal to pop up here. Serious shooters also have some wicked deals on the redding presses

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    I would probably look for a press here rather than bring it in, dies etc no problems but might not be worth the hassle with a press, there are a multiude of press's about the country and they often come up for sale, look about first before committing to an overseas buy of one.
    Advertise here you never know your luck.
    Oli1102 likes this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by charliehorse View Post
    Yea good point @zimmer, can get the rockchucker supreme kit and 2 lots of dies for USD380 but no indication of shipping cost on the checkout. Best I can find for that in NZ is 850 for the kit alone. I'm on a budget so trying to do the best I can without skimping......
    Based on your USD380 plus for a heavy item like a Rockchucker press you'd be looking at around USD100 for freight = NZD 734 then there is 15% GST = NZD110 + $60 biosecurity fee = $904 local. Waste of time and money.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-Ring View Post
    Based on your USD380 plus for a heavy item like a Rockchucker press you'd be looking at around USD100 for freight = NZD 734 then there is 15% GST = NZD110 + $60 biosecurity fee = $904 local. Waste of time and money.
    No, not since 1 Dec 2019
    No gst unless seller has been required to register for gst by nz govt and to collect on behalf. If seller hasn't been required to register (turnover less than NZ $65k) no gst if less than $1000. Bio fee now kicks in at greater than $1000. Fairly certain no duty on a reloading press but buyer would need to check. However if there is it is waived on the less than $1000 value.

Test using What's My Duty.

Still agree, as I posted earlier, look for a local deal. For something in the value region of a press I would be prepared to pay say up to 80 to 100 bucks more locally to save the hassle. No issues if a warranty problem (unlikely with press) timely delivery if local stock, no hassles at border if some clown decides item needs a permit (it doesn't), support for a local store if that's your thing (ongoing purchases from them may see discounts).

Also the heady days of a great exchange rate are long gone.
    Last edited by zimmer; 08-02-2020 at 09:44 AM.
    10-Ring likes this.