Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 64
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: Importing a .338 or 50cal

  1. #1
    Member clickbang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    South
    Posts
    313

    Importing a .338 or 50cal

    Have just had this show up in my inbox after some correspondence with arms officer.

    *

    Although your firearm* is bolt action *and generally covered in the generic family of bolt action* Accuracy International firearms on the approved list , there are special conditions of import required for a firearm of this calibre.

    *

    This import application can only be approved by Police National Headquarters in Wellington *as they have ordered that all .338 - .50 Cal range firearms are only approved by them.

    *

    You require a special reason for import,* and to nominate the club you are a member of , proof that you are a financial member* and a regular attendee, and a copy of the range certificate from the club to prove their range is certified for that calibre.

    *

    This you can discuss in more detail with your Arms Officer when you are back in NZ and applying for the import application.*

    *

    So these are the steps before you.

    *

    Regards

    *

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Lost up North
    Posts
    325
    Smells like bullshit.
    veitnamcam likes this.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    christchurch
    Posts
    6,055
    so what if you tried to import 338 win mag etc ?? or is it just 338 lapua

  4. #4
    Almost literate. veitnamcam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    20,050
    Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    so what if you tried to import 338 win mag etc ?? or is it just 338 lapua
    or 338 Federal !??
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Christchuch New Zealand
    Posts
    3,099
    What about 45/70? Or the 30 / 357 lever guns....(In case you dont want a rossi.....?) 450Marlin, 350 big bore (Winchestor)

    Then compare it to something like to 300Weatherby magnum. Sounds like some Bureaucrat is having a bad day....
    veitnamcam likes this.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    454
    Ask him what law mandates the 'special conditions ' for import of ANY caliber for an 'A' category firearm.

    "It's just Police policy " will be the likely response. Which means nothing in court....actually could even be construed as contempt of court, given previous court rulings.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Paengaroa, Te Puke
    Posts
    2,125
    Can't see what the difference is with importing say a 338 Lapua or having one built here in NZ. As far as I know there are no restrictions on where you can shoot a 338 or 50 cal so it all sounds as if it's hog wash. I have a 338 Win Mag and have never been told where I can and can't use it, a mate of mine had a 50 cal built same thing no restrictions. Sounds fishy.

  8. #8
    Almost literate. veitnamcam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    20,050
    These stories of arms officers making up their own laws on the spot seem to crop up all to often.

    What is COLFO or NRA doing about it?
    BRADS, Steve123 and Skatieguy like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

  9. #9
    Member mikee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nelson, New Zealand
    Posts
    7,187
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    These stories of arms officers making up their own laws on the spot seem to crop up all to often.

    What is COLFO or NRA doing about it?
    COLFO will be busy bending over I guess like last time.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    490
    Both 338 and 50 cal rifles are freely available already in NZ and can be purchased off the shelf by anyone with an A cat licence.
    What you have been asked to do is BS.
    veitnamcam and mikee like this.

  11. #11
    Member Beavis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Cape
    Posts
    3,835
    This is literally legal fiction. I can't even believe they have the audacity to give that to you in writing.
    Skatieguy likes this.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    125
    What a feed of arse. It would be worth sending that to Nick Taylor for him to have some fun with.
    clickbang likes this.

  13. #13
    Top Member Remington 5R .300 Win Mag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Obviously A Different Planet To The One You Bastards Are On!
    Posts
    303
    Quote Originally Posted by clickbang View Post
    Have just had this show up in my inbox after some correspondence with arms officer.

    *

    Although your firearm* is bolt action *and generally covered in the generic family of bolt action* Accuracy International firearms on the approved list , there are special conditions of import required for a firearm of this calibre.

    *

    This import application can only be approved by Police National Headquarters in Wellington *as they have ordered that all .338 - .50 Cal range firearms are only approved by them.

    *

    You require a special reason for import,* and to nominate the club you are a member of , proof that you are a financial member* and a regular attendee, and a copy of the range certificate from the club to prove their range is certified for that calibre.

    *

    This you can discuss in more detail with your Arms Officer when you are back in NZ and applying for the import application.*

    *

    So these are the steps before you.

    *

    Regards

    *
    Was your arms officer a woman?

    I'm mindful of when I went into my local arms office, as I wanted an S43A form to purchase an A cat firearm from a different city here in New Zealand (they had just imported it for me and had it in store already) and the arms officer I struck was a woman. She marched me upstairs into the interview/interrogation room, in front of the video camera (don't know if it was on or not) and pulled a book off the shelf, threw it on the table and said "here read this. If the firearm you're after isn't listed in there, then you're not allowed it!" (and about that abruptly too!) Well, I read it, and guess what, the firearm I was after (a Volquartsen 10 shot semiautomatic 17 HMR) was not listed in there!

    I managed to get onto a man cop and the form was expedited to me promptly, by patrol car, "hand delivered to me personally, at my address"!

    You see, women lack the ability to use discretion, and therefore, automatically default to the book, and WHAT A BOOK THEY HAVE!
    "Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten"!

  14. #14
    Member clickbang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    South
    Posts
    313
    Quote Originally Posted by Remington 5R .300 Win Mag View Post
    Was your arms officer a woman?

    I'm mindful of when I went into my local arms office, as I wanted an S43A form to purchase an A cat firearm from a different city here in New Zealand (they had just imported it for me and had it in store already) and the arms officer I struck was a woman. She marched me upstairs into the interview/interrogation room, in front of the video camera (don't know if it was on or not) and pulled a book off the shelf, threw it on the table and said "here read this. If the firearm you're after isn't listed in there, then you're not allowed it!" (and about that abruptly too!) Well, I read it, and guess what, the firearm I was after (a Volquartsen 10 shot semiautomatic 17 HMR) was not listed in there!

    I managed to get onto a man cop and the form was expedited to me promptly, by patrol car, "hand delivered to me personally, at my address"!

    You see, women lack the ability to use discretion, and therefore, automatically default to the book, and WHAT A BOOK THEY HAVE!
    Unfortunately this was a male arms officer. My usual one is a woman and generally pretty good

  15. #15
    Member clickbang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    South
    Posts
    313
    This is the response from COLFO

    "My advice would be to provide the information Police require and if your permit is refused consult with Nicholas Taylor Barrister who specialises in firearms law. If other COLFO members come up with anything better I will get back to you."

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. FS: 56x 50cal BMG brass in chain links
    By dale in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 26-06-2016, 06:42 PM
  2. Importing from USA
    By TianBotha in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-05-2016, 12:47 PM
  3. WTS .50cal Brass
    By matzka07 in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-07-2015, 03:38 PM
  4. Importing a new die
    By Kscott in forum Reloading and Ballistics
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 26-12-2014, 01:53 PM
  5. Importing
    By longrange308 in forum Outdoor Transport
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 22-08-2014, 10:19 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!