Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Importing 4 shot magazines

I'm hoping for a yes or no answer to this:-
    Will I need an import permit from the police to bring in 4 shot mags for a browning Xbolt?
    They are hideously expensive here and looking to bring a couple in.

Thanks.

I was told by north shore arms officer anything A cat magazine wise is fine, that's when I was getting more HMR mags for my marlin
    So I purchased 4 mags from numrich no probs
    Grouchy Smurf had it right all along...

Fulla
    I just brought in a 10/22 magazine (10 shots) everything was fine. not one question was asked.

In the last year I have brought in a couple of 10 shot mags for my .22 and a 4 shot mag for a Model 88 Winchester. All from Numrich. No issues.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Importing anything for a bolt action bar maybe the receiver (and thats only because customs are not-gun savvy) should not be an issue so my AO says.

I suggest you just run it past your local AO.

Where you might have an issue is exporting it from say the US, their customs might confiscate it.

regards
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Already looked as the US and it was going to be a pain in the proverbial so have a price via Canada

What is the price difference, Barefoot? I noticed they were $100-200 here so only have the 1. Would be handy to have 2 I guess.

I have been told consistently that it will be $200 to get a second mag here.
    The price I have at the works out as $150 each for 2 or $125 for 3 landed. However that includes overpriced insured postage.

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    I have been told consistently that it will be $200 to get a second mag here.
    The price I have at the works out as $150 each for 2 or $125 for 3 landed. However that includes overpriced insured postage.
    Barefoot have you tried shipping via NZ Post Youshop?

Cheers
    Pete

I tried to get a 4 round shotgun extension tube from brownells about 2 months ago. I got sent paper work for end user agreements and was asked to get an import permit from my end. So i would have said yes, you do need a permit to bring in a mag and im very interested in what some of you have found regarding this. Am i missing something?

A friend of mine used the nz post freight foward service from the states not long ago. He ordered a 20 rnd pmag to see if it would slip in. It got returned to magpul as nz post wont ship firearms parts, the order was cancelled and he got refunded. 2 weeks later the mag turned up! No interference from customs or nothing. Score!
    Last edited by Towely; 08-11-2013 at 08:00 PM.

No you dont need a permit. A Permit isn't required for any A Cat Parts. The hick-ups can happen when you get a over zealous Customs Officer stating you do need one on arrival in NZ. And at that stage your A.O. will normally help out

You will after the new amendment passes Dec 11. My AO writes me them for anything so I just do that.

I was told by Tauranga firearms officer that you need to get an import permit to get any firearm parts. This doesn't include scopes, bases or rings, but did include magazines.
    The hard part is not the import permit, it's the US export permit, or finding somewhere that will ship out of the US.

You could try the youshop thing and don't say it's a gun part, put it under the DIY category, but if you get caught you would be in trouble.
    A friend had a guy in the US ship him a K98 extractor, and the seller must didn't say what it was. That arrived fine, but if you get caught I don't know to what extent you can must claim ignorance.

If you do het one easily I'd Love to know, as Remington 597 mags are $80 each here, and can get two in the US for 21USD.

Export permits aren't difficult to get. Brownells can get pretty much anything you want, provided it is allowed to be exported.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Export permits aren't difficult to get. Brownells can get pretty much anything you want, provided it is allowed to be exported.
    Is there not usually a exporting fee to go with that though? And usually hundreds of USDs?