Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Importing Magazines from Brownells

Importing Magazines from Brownells

Hello

Now I've applied for my E-Endorsement and hoping that gets done some time soon.
    But I'm looking to purchasing a couple of 20 round magazines from Brownells as there not that many in NZ. And yes just after 20's

What is required, e.g. I read that an import licence is needed, is there a cost to get this
    Then there is the cost of the Mag's being around $13 USD each plus postage around $25 to $30 USD

So would the cost be $26 for the Mag's+ the $30 Postage plus what ever the import licence may or may not cost or is it more complicated than just that.

Cheers

Baz
    You will need you E cat endorsement done first. Then the AR the mags are for, must be reg'd as and E Cat firearm before you apply for an import permit. The firearm conversion from A cat to E cat grace period ends 1tth June 2014

You will need export permits from Brownells.

Someone will correct me if I've missed anything.

res
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    You will need you E cat endorsement done first. Then the AR the mags are for, must be reg'd as and E Cat firearm before you apply for an import permit. The firearm conversion from A cat to E cat grace period ends 1tth June 2014

You will need export permits from Brownells.

Someone will correct me if I've missed anything.
    That's about it

The export permit is easy,after you place your order they will contact you to arrange it.

It is worth noting that not everything on brownalls can be exported and the filter on the site if fairly useless. So try to get you ao to just write the style and size of the mags on your import permit rather than specifying a model.
    Using Tapatalk

No cost for import permit. If you order under $100 worth you don't need export permits. I know you only want 20's, but apparently the state department has (or is just about to) ban the export of 30+ capacity mags. Magpul products can no longer be exported.

Quote Originally Posted by res View Post
    That's about it

The export permit is easy,after you place your order they will contact you to arrange it.

It is worth noting that not everything on brownalls can be exported and the filter on the site if fairly useless. So try to get you ao to just write the style and size of the mags on your import permit rather than specifying a model.
    So the only extra will be the cost of the export permit?
    So is there any cost to a import Licence?

res
    Import permit = free

Export permit-if needed, will be cheep
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Banana View Post
    No cost for import permit. If you order under $100 worth you don't need export permits. I know you only want 20's, but apparently the state department has (or is just about to) ban the export of 30+ capacity mags. Magpul products can no longer be exported.
    I've just jumped onto Brownell and just notice the

Foreign Shipping
    This item cannot be shipped out of the United States.

on PMAGS... bugger. There goes that idea.

There are other 20 rounders you can buy - Lancer Systems and Brownells mags

30 rounders and above are banned from export as of yesterday

Sportsways Gunshed have half a dozen 20 rnd Pmags for sale at $110 each... not cheap, but just a thought...
    Grant

Is it difficult to import AK 30rd mags into NZ (assuming I'm a E category holder)? I have many of them it I want to send over.

Quote Originally Posted by grunzter View Post
    Sportsways Gunshed have half a dozen 20 rnd Pmags for sale at $110 each... not cheap, but just a thought...
    Grant
    Any idea when they are closing down for good, I'm still waiting for my E-Endorsement to be processed so unable to rush out and get one or two.
    I've heard rumours that they are shutting shop to move into just a online store

I asked last weekend and they said a few more weeks...
    I'm guessing it may drag a little longer depending upon lease of shop etc...
    I may be wrong here, but you dont need an E endorsement to buy 20rnd mags, as long as they stay away from your bang stick until such time you do have an E for it...
    or you could use them in a Mossberg MVP.223 bolt action...
    Grant

What are the Spear mags that Reloaders are selling like? NZ made AR15 7,10 & 30 rd mags for about $60 each. Seems pretty reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Tasbay View Post
    What are the Spear mags that Reloaders are selling like? NZ made AR15 7,10 & 30 rd mags for about $60 each. Seems pretty reasonable.

Bad. They don't fit in the magwells of about 50% of the lowers I've tried them in, the mag catch notch has a rounded top end that the mag catch slips over and the mag drops in the magwell, the follower can pop up between the feed lips a bit and jam up, they don't drop free from anything.

Supposedly there is a gen2 coming which I'm waiting for and desperately hoping they're better

The 3 spear mags 30 rounders that I have run flawlessly in both my Stag and Aero Precision lower. I have no complaints, especially for the price.