Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 3 Post By ebf
  • 1 Post By Larskramer
  • 1 Post By 55six
  • 2 Post By Kimber 7mm-08
  • 2 Post By Longranger
  • 1 Post By Longranger
  • 1 Post By killroy

Thread: Importing a Magnetospeed V3 to NZ

Importing a Magnetospeed V3 to NZ

Anyone have any recent experience in importing Magnetospeed chronograph to NZ? I'm looking at at getting a MagnetoSpeed v3 from magnetospeed.com and it looks like it's cheaper than buying here in NZ. According to their website its NZ $732 landed in NZ. The cheapest I can find here in the land of milk and honey is around $969, but most places are out of stock anyway so it seems a no brainer to get it from the States. Am I missing something here? I don't think with that value I'd be charged GST as it under the $1000 threshold.

ebf
    Not recent, but did it a couple of years ago.

Pair the V3 bayonet with a sporter display to save even more $
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Ken at 55six had them for 659 or close to a few months ago. J know because I got one.
    johnd likes this.

We are over a month away on landing more.
    Kimber 7mm-08 likes this.

Have a serious look at Labradar.....no more accurate, but you can test both grouping, zero and velocity at the same time. You can't with Magneto speed as the weight on the barrel changes the POI.....and compared to setup time and ease of use the Ladradar is trumps....

What's a Labradar cost landed these days with all the necessary bits and pieces?

Quote Originally Posted by Longranger View Post
    Have a serious look at Labradar.....no more accurate, but you can test both grouping, zero and velocity at the same time. You can't with Magneto speed as the weight on the barrel changes the POI.....and compared to setup time and ease of use the Ladradar is trumps....
    I've looked at Labradar and it was the initial frontrunner, but it's a bit more than I need and appears to need a bit more stuff to set it up correctly. I'm not a reloader (as yet) so all I need it for is to confirm velocity of factory ammo for the time being so I can accurately set up the ballistic turrets on my respective rifles. Once I have got the ammo that works well, I don't mind if there is then a few shots that may have a POI change.
    gadgetman and CBH Australia like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 308mate View Post
    What's a Labradar cost landed these days with all the necessary bits and pieces?
    No idea on the landed cost these days....I paid under $1000 a few years ago.

There is no need for any additional bits.....the stand is too light weight and not much chop. Any camera tripod will work to mount it on for bench testing and a heavy plate with a camera mount is perfect on the ground...!

I have owned every chrongraph available and for accuracy, reliability and ease of use there is no contest with Labradar.
    Mooseman and 308mate like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Not recent, but did it a couple of years ago.

Pair the V3 bayonet with a sporter display to save even more $
    Yeah, this is what I did. Put together a V3 Bayonet, V2 Display, Phone Adaptor, Mounting Bits, ... from the Spares List. See what that adds up to.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Interesting. Any idea of their warranty and out of warranty support?

I am sure I read they have someone contracted for repairs in Aussie if required.

Quote Originally Posted by Longranger View Post
    No idea on the landed cost these days....I paid under $1000 a few years ago.

There is no need for any additional bits.....the stand is too light weight and not much chop. Any camera tripod will work to mount it on for bench testing and a heavy plate with a camera mount is perfect on the ground...!

I have owned every chrongraph available and for accuracy, reliability and ease of use there is no contest with Labradar.

The US manufacturer was proactive and helpful when my mate had a few questions. Mine has been trouble free for a number of years, but if needed I would think the service out of the USA would be very good given what my friend experienced.

I purchased mine in NZ from Steiger Sports, but not sure if they are the agents now......or whether they are still trading.
    308mate likes this.

I imported a V1 direct from Magnetospeed when the device first became available. I am completely satisfied with it's performance and reliability. Thought I might upgrade to V3 about a year ago but was redirected to NZ agent, think if was Wilson's Sports. The old story....
    CBH Australia likes this.

Can you order from Australia?

I ended up with a second hand chrony after tons of reading but it fell in my lap at $150.

I was hoping for the Magneto speed. You need to weigh up the options because Labradar could be a 50% dearer.