Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: importing red dot sights, permit required?

importing red dot sights, permit required?

Hi all,

Do you need an import permit for sights? I've sent email to local AO but her replies tend to take a while (if ever). Ebay is cheaper than NZ suppliers, if I can get them in. I've got E endorsement if that makes any difference to import rules, but mostly A cat firearms.

Cheers,

Ben

No you don't need an import permit.
    Unless they somehow deem it to be an Ecat gun part in which case you will.

Get an email from your AO to confirm it's OK, then if customs stop it you can tell them to have sex and travel.
    40mm and xtightg like this.

Yeah it's the potential "MSSA part" bit that I'm concerned about...

some of the red dots are itar restricted out of usa they wont ship here pays to check

Quote Originally Posted by carlhurley View Post
    some of the red dots are itar restricted out of usa they wont ship here pays to check
    Buy the 'copy' from China, much cheaper on postage and Chinese export laws are more export friendly. Do they make ARs too?
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Waimata View Post
    Yeah it's the potential "MSSA part" bit that I'm concerned about...
    If it's an optic you should be fine, iron sights can be another story.
    Get your AO to confirm for piece of mind.

carlhurley is right, some are ITAR restricted so it'll pay to email around a few places too see if they will ship them or not.
    xtightg likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Buy the 'copy' from China

Any suggestions on Chinese red dots? How good are they? I don't know much about this subject.

Any suggestions on Chinese red dots? How good are they? I don't know much about this subject.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Tact...33924c4drSHQ1W

i got one of these for my 7.62x39 label on the package said torch (guess they didnt want it to get a second look at customs)
    seems to be ok only used it at the range so far , yet to try it out i the bush

Friends don't let friends buy Chinese optics
    Beetroot, Steve123 and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
    Friends don't let friends buy Chinese optics
    i have a chinese BSA scope and its bloody fantastic. holds zero well and nice optically. made in china is like the new made in japan from the 70's and now we all drive japanese cars

Quote Originally Posted by gone-tropo View Post
    i have a chinese BSA scope and its bloody fantastic. holds zero well and nice optically. made in china is like the new made in japan from the 70's and now we all drive japanese cars
    At least BSA is a reasonably well known brand, and not an "unknown" aliexpress, potentially airsoft optic. How do you distinguish between what's an airsoft or toy optic and whats not? Price? Maybe they just put a huge markup on their airsoft optic. Its not unusual to see the same thing being sold for drastically different prices, because as they say - some people just want to pay more, or think its better because the price is higher.
    Its not necessarily where its made that is the issue as I know china can make some great products, it's that you don't know what you are getting when buying an unknown, no name Chinese optic.

In saying that I have a BSA red (and green) dot sight which is an absolute piece of crap. Has some of the worst parallax I have ever seen.
    Last edited by ChrisW; 28-11-2018 at 10:20 AM.
    Beetroot likes this.

the issue with most chinese optics and most electronic gear is that they generally work to a " product amount delivered by this date" so many different manufacturers make the same product and the quality varies . i have now repaired close to 1200 spotlights from china and the externals are almost always the same but internals change by the import batch

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
    At least BSA is a reasonably well known brand, and not an "unknown" aliexpress, potentially airsoft optic. How do you distinguish between what's an airsoft or toy optic and whats not? Price? Maybe they just put a huge markup on their airsoft optic. Its not unusual to see the same thing being sold for drastically different prices, because as they say - some people just want to pay more, or think its better because the price is higher.
    Its not necessarily where its made that is the issue as I know china can make some great products, it's that you don't know what you are getting when buying an unknown, no name Chinese optic.

In saying that I have a BSA red (and green) dot sight which is an absolute piece of crap. Has some of the worst parallax I have ever seen.
    Athlon scopes are mostly made in China and seem to get good reviews, but as you said they are a known brand with customer service, their own website and employees.
    I wouldn't spend money on a no name product regardless of where it's made, if there is no decent after sales support, then you may be pissing money down the drain.

By once cry once, it may be hard to swallow at the time but you wont regret spending money on a quality optic.

All the Chinese scope I've had were shit, and the low end scopes from the likes of Vortex are hardly worth raving about.
    Steve123 and ChrisW like this.

Pretty sure my Sig Zulu Binos are made in China... they are mint as. You just have to know what you are buying and who from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a few in to try a few years ago put one on a a 223 ,308, still holding zero

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk