Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By KiwiinSeattle
  • 1 Post By HOWA308

Thread: Importing a Rifle from the US

Importing a Rifle from the US

Am looking at purchasing a hunting Rifle in the States, by a US friend. Then having a NZ mate bring it back with him when he returns from holiday in the US.

Has anyone brought back a Rifle from the States, if so was it difficult and what permits were required?

Yeh na doesn't work like that might work if your us friend was coming over.

Yeah, nah have to agree with Username. Not worth it unless its something special and then the best way for all involved is to pay to have it exported properly. No fear of going to clink for either of you mates that way.
    I may be wrong but I think your US mate would be in the poo for supplying and "Alien" (your Kiwi mate) with a firearm and you Kiwi mate for being illegally in possession of a firearm.

The yank authorities have no sense of humor in this respect.

Its easy enough to have something legally exported out but just cost a bit of money in paperwork fees and takes a while.

If it was your US mate then that is different, he could take a firearm out easily enough but I am not sure how he would go turning up back at the US border with out it. Explanation might be required
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

P38
    I believe your US friend can bring the rifle over here ..... but he must also take it back with him otherwise he commits a federal offence.

Export permits are required from the US govt.

Cheers
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by P38 View Post
    I believe your US friend can bring the rifle over here ..... but he must also take it back with him otherwise he commits a federal offence.

Cheers
    Pete
    Yep, we have had competitors come out from the US with their Customised AR15's. They pretty much sold everything except the lower (stripped) at the end of the shoot cause it was easier to fit in the suitcase but they had to take it back (As far as the Authorities were concerned as long as the serial numbers matched what was exported all good
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Have been doing some research and from what I can see you can make an application to the Director of the ATF and have the firearm transferred into a legal Aliens possession for the purpose of export assuming you already have state department approval......

Now I shall work my way through the different forms to state department & ATF and submit the necessary Doc's and see how I go!

P38
    You will also have to pay a FFL around $300 to transfer the rifle to said legal alien and maybe again to transfer to you.

I think there's also a fee for filing the govt papers too.

Cheers
    Pete

FFL transfers should be like 20-50 bucks anymore and you're getting ripped off

at least between US residents

What about from Ozzy?

They have a much better selection of second rifles than I can find on Trademe.
    Surely can't be too difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by P38 View Post

Cheers
    Pete
    I am not sure if any official export documents required for a US citizen to take a rifle out of the US. There is a US Customs Form that makes it easier to return to the US with the same rifle.

No questions are asked leaving NZ without the rifle you bought in and no questions are asked if you don't bring it back to the US - even if you bring the empty rifle case with you.
    mayfly likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiinSeattle View Post
    I am not sure if any official export documents required for a US citizen to take a rifle out of the US. There is a US Customs Form that makes it easier to return to the US with the same rifle.

No questions are asked leaving NZ without the rifle you bought in and no questions are asked if you don't bring it back to the US - even if you bring the empty rifle case with you.
    YOU planning on a trip back to NZ anytime soon?
    mayfly likes this.