Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Walker
  • 1 Post By grunzter

Thread: Importing a used scope

Importing a used scope

Whats required in the way of permits for being sent a scope from oversea's at the moment? Anyone been pulled up?

Bos
    Would still have to pay import duty if applicable, but given the current "environment", Id be surprised if it was worth the hassle. You can often get a really good deal on pretty much any scope you want here in NZ, either here on the Forum or on TM.

Banned
    Don't know all the rules, however Airlines will class it as 'part of a gun' and will not carry it. It will be classed as well as DG. Customs may hold up shipment and do security checks on the receiver of the scope.

I posted a brand new Leupold home in a box full of stuff. Declared it on the wee customs form. No questions or issues. BUT that was 2yrs ago, before the current shit. I then flew home carrying an ammo tin(the .50 cal size) with 'Nato 5.56mm' printed on side through Los Angeles airport.

This is a classic scope that hasn't been in production since the early 80's and will be going on a collectable rifle of the same era, just to finish off so to speak and no there are none outside of europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
    I posted a brand new Leupold home in a box full of stuff. Declared it on the wee customs form. No questions or issues. BUT that was 2yrs ago, before the current shit. I then flew home carrying an ammo tin(the .50 cal size) with 'Nato 5.56mm' printed on side through Los Angeles airport.
    I once put a combat army machete in my luggage brought it back from the uk , no dramas ...be interesting to see if anyone kicked up a stink now
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

I carried a SKS and 10/22 back to NZ in the 90's no problems.
    Boaraxa likes this.

Is not a scope a telescope. Is a permit required for a telescope?

Bos
    Only loophole I know of is when a mate bought a Swarovski scope back from the states for me about 6 years ago. He undervalued it a bit and declared it as "optical equipment". Straight through customs no problems, but as I said earlier, things might be quite different now

you will 100% require a NZ Police Import permit for it...
    it only takes a week or two, and best be safe than sorry.
    In any case if it comes by post it will get stuck in the mail centre for the next 10 years until they catch up processing the back log...

PS. I have 8 packages waiting in customs all with permits, inlcuding two for scopes..
    Moa Hunter likes this.

I had a mate bring me new VX6 from the US a couple of years ago with no problems.

My brother is a Federal copper at an airport in Aus and reckons scopes are fine. He gets the odd call from customs about “firearm parts” and always tells them it’s no different to half a pair of binos. A scope isn’t an integral, functioning part of a firearm. Don’t see why it would be any different here in NZ.

After duties I’m not sure there is enough price difference to really make it worth it. Swarovski are cheaper now and Leupold not bad value too.