Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Sideshow
  • 1 Post By Cordite

Thread: Interesting 1907 short bowie bayonet.

Interesting 1907 short bowie bayonet.

So, shortened 1907 bayonet, de rusted and now studying markings.

Left hilt:

MA
    [?] 41

Left tang:

L NR

Right hilt:

[broad arrow]

L [crossed sabres bend test mark] MA

Right tang:

[crossed sabres bend test mark]

Blade nicely shortened to just over 7" with a false 'Bowie' type edge some 2.5" inch long.

Hilts also have other pock marks which may or may not be Indian or Arabic. Wonder if it may be the earlier form of Indian arsenals shortened 1907 bayonets (vs later indian types 'born' short and with a square pommel). Or could be a more local adaptation.

Name:  IMG_20190829_161740990.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  2.83 MB

Name:  IMG_20190829_155934689.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  4.00 MB

Name:  IMG_20190829_160017045.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  3.96 MB

Looking at the photos I now see the star with what looks like a central 'A' next to what I assume is the right tang bend test mark. Actually lots of imaginary letters different places.

MA - Mangrovite Arsenal but apparently they just made the 1907 full length bayonet. Could have been shortened any time, or it could be for the Owen.

From: https://collegehillarsenal.com/austr...ne-gun-bayonet
    "In August of 1944 the new Owen Mk 1 bayonet was adopted and the pattern was sealed. It retained the same hilt and grip pattern of the P-1907, but utilized a 10” blade instead of the 17” blade of the P-1907 bayonet. The World War II era bayonets were produced at the Orange Arsenal in Australia, and are marked “OA”, while the post-World War II version manufactured in 1953 was produced at Lithgow and is marked “MA”. Another World War II variant of the Owen bayonet was the Mk 1 /1, which was made by cutting down existing P-1907 (No 1) bayonets. On these Owen bayonets the 17” No 1 blade was cut down to 8”. "

This bayonet's blade measures exactly 7.5" so that is not clearly likely.
    Last edited by Cordite; 29-08-2019 at 06:40 PM.

Banned
    Did you find out where this bayonet came from yet?

Sent from my CPH1701 using Tapatalk

I don't see any mystery. It is just a standard '07 bayonet made at Lithgow (MA) in 1941 and shortened into a knife by some rough bastard! Common practice in the '50's and '60's when they were available in standard issue condition (no scabbards) in most NZ sports shops for 2/6d (25 cents) each. I bought several of them as a kid in the late '50's from Turner & Le Brun in Ch-Ch.

Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    I don't see any mystery. It is just a standard '07 bayonet made at Lithgow (MA) in 1941 and shortened into a knife by some rough bastard! Common practice in the '50's and '60's when they were available in standard issue condition (no scabbards) in most NZ sports shops for 2/6d (25 cents) each. I bought several of them as a kid in the late '50's from Turner & Le Brun in Ch-Ch.
    Dubious birth certificate maybe (-: but methinks did a competent job on the Tanto style point. It has a false edge but avoids making a drop point. Each side of of the blade back at the tip is done mirror image but can't say for sure if it was a machine setup.

Name:  tantotip.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  2.14 MB

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Dubious birth certificate maybe (-: but methinks did a competent job on the Tanto style point. It has a false edge but avoids making a drop point. Each side of of the blade back at the tip is done mirror image but can't say for sure if it was a machine setup.

Attachment 118896
    I can do that with a saw, stone and file. I used to make all my own hunting knives by cutting back carbon steel kitchen knives.

What was the skeleton like that was stuck to it when you dug that up?
    Cordite likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Not quite finished. Blued, walnut clamshell handles stained with iron acetate giving a grassy look, then linseed oil. Still waiting for the proper countersunk screws. Strangely, I don't think it's ever been sharpened as the nearest centimetre of the edge to the handle has not been given an edge.
    Name:  IMG_20190905_081753999.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  1.96 MB
    Tussock likes this.